IF Joyner is out vs the whiners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
How he went from as good as he was last year to as mediocre as he is this year, really bewilders me...Was last year the standard or will it be this year (Or something in the middle) ??? I know some guys seem to be headed for greatness, only to take a step(s) back after a terrific year...All I'm sure of is that if he gets a big deal next year, it won't be with the Rams...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ever noticed that when they show highlights of players running past defenders, every time the rams are the defending team the player is running past Joyner. Every clip. Insane.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You and I are never gonna agree on Joyner. There's a big difference between a guy who is in that above average to good range game to game, and a guy who is great.

Let's put it this way, the consensus was that Joyner was great last year and the Rams franchise tagged him instead of letting him hit FA. Why would they devote franchise tag money to a guy who wasn't a top safety?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How he went from as good as he was last year to as mediocre as he is this year, really bewilders me...Was last year the standard or will it be this year (Or something in the middle) ??? I know some guys seem to be headed for greatness, only to take a step(s) back after a terrific year...All I'm sure of is that if he gets a big deal next year, it won't be with the Rams...

Joyner has never been anything special. Last year he was in the right spot a few times, other than that I didn’t see him as a guy The Rams were going to keep, especially FRANCHISED

I’ve always liked the way Joyner tackles & plays to the whistle.John Johnson was the real deal & made Joyner better.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Technically he is a Fisher guy... Just sayin’...
tenor.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's put it this way, the consensus was that Joyner was great last year and the Rams franchise tagged him instead of letting him hit FA. Why would they devote franchise tag money to a guy who wasn't a top safety?

Because going into the offseason Les' back was against the wall with the secondary and the tag for a safety wasn't prohibitive.

I am sure the Rams expected him to transition from above avg range to elite, thinking that year two in the same defense he would improve not to mention it being a contract season for him. I figured that too. But he didn't get better, he got exposed by offenses in being what he is: a nickel back who can play some box safety.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because going into the offseason Les' back was against the wall with the secondary and the tag for a safety wasn't prohibitive.

I am sure the Rams expected him to transition from above avg range to elite, thinking that year two in the same defense he would improve not to mention it being a contract season for him. I figured that too. But he didn't get better, he got exposed by offenses in being what he is: a nickel back who can play some box safety.

Or the Rams paid him like a great safety because he played great football in 2017. That's the explanation that makes the most sense to me. They didn't want to give him a long-term deal until he proved he could do it again. BTW, it's weird that Snead's back would be against the wall at the safety position considering how cold the market was.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or the Rams paid him like a great safety because he played great football in 2017. That's the explanation that makes the most sense to me. They didn't want to give him a long-term deal until he proved he could do it again. BTW, it's weird that Snead's back would be against the wall at the safety position considering how cold the market was.

They were better off letting him test the market. He wouldn't have been offered half the value of the tag.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or the Rams paid him like a great safety because he played great football in 2017. That's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

You and I have a different opinion of "great" my man. Cheers. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were better off letting him test the market. He wouldn't have been offered half the value of the tag.

They could have rescinded the tag after FA started. They didn't.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I wish we had both. Tru didn't fit the scheme at his price tag, and we made a huge mistake letting JJ walk imo.
They are non factors... They are players who only play good with who is around them. They aren’t really players. Everytime I hear about the teams they play on. Is literally nothing, about them. My point is maybe LJ needs to either hit the bricks or start kickin a$$...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are non factors... They are players who only play with who is around them. They aren’t really players. Everytime I hear about the teams they play on. Is literally nothing, about them. My point is maybe LJ needs to either hit the bricks or start kickin a$$...

Joyner is gone. JJ and TJ are on bad teams, but both guys are players. Tru simply didn't fit the scheme we wanted to run. Oddly enough, he's a great fit for the scheme we're now forced to run. JJ was simply a mistake. I would rather have him than Peters right now. He's still a very good CB.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I would rather have him than Peters right now.
In hindsight, but in comparison Peters is a better player than JJ, and really think about what I really mean by that... If not I will explain simply...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wish we had both. Tru didn't fit the scheme at his price tag, and we made a huge mistake letting JJ walk imo.

I was never a Jenkins fan. I like players that have their head in the game 100%. His mental lapses were obvious, and he admitted as much. Too much pot can do that to a person. He's just the type of player I can't stand. One that wastes his talents. Maybe one day he'll grow up and get serious and pull a Jared Cook, until then he's just another of what Cook was IMO.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I don’t understand people saying our back was against the wall last year tagging Joyner. The safety market had much cheaper options but he played really well last year. Last year many people thought he was the second best player behind Donald on the defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I believe PFF rated Joyner the 3rd best free safety last year. Hence, the reason they tagged him. He really hurt himself this season. If they hadn't tagged him he probably would have gotten a nice contract. The way he's played this season would give anyone pause to sign him to the kind of deal he would have gotten last season.

Kinda good news bad news if you ask me. He might be signed cheaper after a subpar season. But do we really want him back? Was this season more of an anomaly? Or is it a sign of things to come? I'm pretty sure he won't be tagged again.