IF Joyner is out vs the whiners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I guarantee you right now that our secondary will play better. I've been wanting him to be sat on the bench for a while now, and if that happens we are going to see improvement in our safeties being where they're supposed to be.

If not, I will eat humble pie and make an effin Joyner avatar.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I guarantee you right now that our secondary will play better. I've been wanting him to be sat on the bench for a while now, and if that happens we are going to see improvement in our safeties being where they're supposed to be.

If not, I will eat humble pie and make an effin Joyner avatar.

Dont you wonder why he was almost always right where he was supposed to be last season?
Or why his tackling is worse than it ever was?

I know some folks never liked Joyner and some just don't like small players... "smurfs". Until this season, Joyner has been a smart and tough defender and not a liability. This season he has proven his doubters right, but only if they ignore his play before this year.
For whatever reason, he has taken on the same bad habits that you see in most of our DBs and LBers - confused, poor communication, sloppy tackling, bad angles...
This is why I feel like the problem may not be Joyner.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was awesome last year.

There were two changes:

First, he was franchised, which at least for the Rams organization is almost always a sign that you won't be here next year - and honestly, even if he played like he did last year I don't think I would have wanted him as he would command $11+ million.

Second, Peters and Talib came in. He had played with TruJo for his entire career. I'd like to think it was this and not the franchise tag - but you never know.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is why I feel like the problem may not be Joyner.

Players deviate in their play from game to game and year to year. It's pretty common tbh. Joyner wasn't exactly a top safety for us last season either so the dropoff isn't profound. He's worse this year, but when you look at it closely he's still the same guy: good in short coverage situations and better close to the LOS.

This is why Williams had him as a slot corner. Wade and crew hoped he could be more but he doesn't have the instincts to safety up in this defense.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's gonna fill in for him is the real question.

I think the problem and the reason why Joyner hasn't been sat on the bench is because our safeties are mostly guys who are better in the box.

Christian will undoubtedly get a look, and yes he's a guy who has always (since college) been best in the box. But he's also been around a bit now in this defense under this staff so I would like to see him get a chance.

Countess was mentioned too. I think Joyner sitting the pine even for a medical reason represents a very good opportunity for both those guys and I hope one of them takes advantage. Given the mediocre nature of Joyner's play (vs his excellent pay) this will constitute a potential job interview for them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Was seriously surprised The Rams franchised him ? Will he bring a comp pick next season ?

The Rams were in between a rock & hard place was with no DB’s on the Rams roster

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams were in between a rock & hard place was with no DB’s on the Rams roster

Pretty much. Sucks that almost all the Rams' gambles with the secondary fell short. But Les will have a plan to rebuild things around Talib & Johnson. If they can hit on one good CB in the draft and go get a FA safety who fits the scheme (i.e. a guy who can provide just balanced safety play run/pass) for example, things will look much better.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think the problem and the reason why Joyner hasn't been sat on the bench is because our safeties are mostly guys who are better in the box.

Christian will undoubtedly get a look, and yes he's a guy who has always (since college) been best in the box. But he's also been around a bit now in this defense under this staff so I would like to see him get a chance.

Countess was mentioned too. I think Joyner sitting the pine even for a medical reason represents a very good opportunity for both those guys and I hope one of them takes advantage. Given the mediocre nature of Joyner's play (vs his excellent pay) this will constitute a potential job interview for them.
Christian? You mean that guy that always looks lost presnap? Ugh I hope not

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Christian? You mean that guy that always looks lost presnap? Ugh I hope not

Yeah, there's a reason Joyner hasn't been benched yet. But the biggest issue right now in our secondary is our deep middle coverage/support from the safety position. I am counting on the fact that Joyner's string of poor decisions in that respect are going to be eliminated, which as a whole is going to boost this pass defense. We'll see and I hope I'm right now that I'm gonna get what I want, because I don't want his ugly @$$ mug as my avatar.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Neither of these guys (Christian or Countess) have ever really impressed me. Hopefully the light comes on for somebody with this opp.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i would like to see Sam Shields slide into safety

Not sure Sam can play with the necessary physicality to play safety. But if he could play there without hesitation towards big hits, his speed and good angles would show up imo.

dang

Legend
There will be a number of decent FS FAs next year that will cost a lost less than $11M.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Players deviate in their play from game to game and year to year. It's pretty common tbh. Joyner wasn't exactly a top safety for us last season either so the dropoff isn't profound. He's worse this year, but when you look at it closely he's still the same guy: good in short coverage situations and better close to the LOS.

This is why Williams had him as a slot corner. Wade and crew hoped he could be more but he doesn't have the instincts to safety up in this defense.

Joyner was great last year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to see Sam Shields slide into safety

I brought this up a few weeks back. Sam Shields can tackle, but I understand if he not as hit-heavy as most would desire. My main reason for bringing this up then....was the lack of speed & ability to cover deep by Joyner that was causing the Rams defense big issues. SS is a savvy vet who had some rust to knock off early. Now going into the last week of the regular season & having made it through the season without any concussion issues......why not? Our other safety JJ III is playing very good now & is making the tackles & plays necessary.

Sam should be ready for some additional work now. His fast speed & coverage skills. IMO would be nice to get a look @ him in this position before a critical game necessitates it. Sam will also be a UFA in early March of 2019. If Sam shows he can play deep high safety & be a solid back up to the starting corners....then he might land a starting job here for a few seasons as Wade's high safety as LJ departs when this season ends.

Once LJ vacates this FS post who is here as a reserve DB that can be projected to be our starter here?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joyner was great last year.

You and I are never gonna agree on Joyner. There's a big difference between a guy who is in that above average to good range game to game, and a guy who is great.