IF Joyner is out vs the whiners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t understand people saying our back was against the wall last year tagging Joyner. The safety market had much cheaper options but he played really well last year. Last year many people thought he was the second best player behind Donald on the defense.

Safety's a weird position man. It's hard for us fans to quantify like some other positions, short of watching loads of 22 film and knowing what their responsibilities were on a given call. So a lot of this stuff is even moreso opinion, admittedly, than most other conversations we have on these guys.

But IMO there is a reason the Rams elected to tag him for a year. It would be his second year in the system and they weren't out of line to think he'd improve and be maybe an elite player and if so maybe sign him once he's proved that level of play. Or if he signs a blockbuster deal elsewhere they'd get a good comp pick.

Way I see it they leaned on him quite a bit this season, particularly early to mid season, to lock down the deep middle on a lot of calls and his lack of instincts really showed. It's just not his thing. He will go back to being a slot CB this offseason on the free agent market IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don’t understand people saying our back was against the wall last year tagging Joyner. The safety market had much cheaper options but he played really well last year. Last year many people thought he was the second best player behind Donald on the defense.
Here what my well seasoned aged mind recalls KA210927.....When the season ended early this January Snead was looking @ a (SERIOUSLY) depleated secondary:

#1- Long time Ram starting & best 2017 corner Trumaine Johnson was a UFA.

#2- End of 2017 season starting outside corner Nickel Roby & normally starting Nickel was a UFA.

#3- Starting high safety & partime starting Nickel Lamarcus Joyner going into FA'cy.

#4- Long time top reserve high safety Cody Davis was also a UFA. Davis had also started or finished a half dozen games @ high safety.

#5-Opening season starting corner Kayvon Webster {who had nagging injuries through out his first season as a Ram} was then going through a post surgery rehabbing event on his Achilles & would not be healthy until mid 2018 season.

(NOTE): The only returning starter to his secondry was a rookie JJ III. Snead was looking @ a 2018 safety unit comprising of 3 WWC's named Marqui Christian, Blake Countess & Isaiah Johnson. His corner cadre also had 3 WWC's ....Dom Hatfield, Kevin Peterson & Troy Hill.

How would you describe the above KA210927? I would be one of "those people" who would conclude that Snead's "back was up against the wall"

His decision to Franchize Tag someone from the list above appears to be good one to me. So he tagged a DB who he drafted & had started @ both outside corner posts, NIckel, Strong Safety, Free Safety & started @ Strong side OLB'er post for Williams hybrid 2016 defense.....Lamarcus Joyner. In time Snead was able to resign corner NRC to start in the Nickel Post.

SierraRam

Recreational User
i would like to see Sam Shields slide into safety

I was thinking the same thing - or maybe Peters. He's not as good playing man, preferring to hang back and read the QB anyway...

Of course, not this year, but maybe experiment with it in the future

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Or the Rams paid him like a great safety because he played great football in 2017. That's the explanation that makes the most sense to me. They didn't want to give him a long-term deal until he proved he could do it again. BTW, it's weird that Snead's back would be against the wall at the safety position considering how cold the market was.

Occam's Razor.

Just sayin'

~ArkyRamsFan~

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Safety's a weird position man. It's hard for us fans to quantify like some other positions, short of watching loads of 22 film and knowing what their responsibilities were on a given call. So a lot of this stuff is even moreso opinion, admittedly, than most other conversations we have on these guys.

But IMO there is a reason the Rams elected to tag him for a year. It would be his second year in the system and they weren't out of line to think he'd improve and be maybe an elite player and if so maybe sign him once he's proved that level of play. Or if he signs a blockbuster deal elsewhere they'd get a good comp pick.

Way I see it they leaned on him quite a bit this season, particularly early to mid season, to lock down the deep middle on a lot of calls and his lack of instincts really showed. It's just not his thing. He will go back to being a slot CB this offseason on the free agent market IMO.
How do you know the pay call/responsibilities? Does the all 22 film come with that? Honest question.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you know the pay call/responsibilities? Does the all 22 film come with that? Honest question.

We don't. That's my point.