If AD told the Rams he was retiring before free agency, then why didn't the Rams sign a DT instead of . . . ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I hope they have a plan. According to the depth chart no one is behind Bobby Brown and only Cory Durden is behind Kobie Turner.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm sure they have some sort of a plan. And I hope that plan isn't to cheaply fill out the D with a lot of young/inexperienced guys.

There's not a single player you worry about or gameplan for. And that's a big problem.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I hope they have a plan. According to the depth chart no one is behind Bobby Brown and only Cory Durden is behind Kobie Turner.
Desjuan Johnson can also play DT, but your point absolutely stands.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah depth is a concern right now. But got to fill in the starters first on both sides. I'm more worried about who our kicker is going to be than our backup DTs. I'm guessing another vet CB will be added and maybe an edge if we can find one they like but a lot of our defensive depth is going to be rookies.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
....because NFL teams win with offense. Aaron Donald was in the prime of his career from 2018 - 2021 but as great as he was, we only went 1-1 in the Big Game. Why? 3 points in SB53.

We didn't grab a DT because we needed to sure up our OL and we will get one in the draft.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yeah ... only four Defensive Linemen under contract right now. Figure 8-10 to open Camp.

So, even if the Rams draft three DL, they will need to make free agent additions ... undrafted free agents; and, I am guessing one or two veteran free agents.

However, those veteran signings could come after the Draft when there may be DL willing to sign for the veteran minimum. Players like Ahkello Witherspoon and Demarcus Robinson last year (signed post-Draft). There should be players that can contribute in a rotational role but quality starters? ... Probably not.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Since the Rams knew after our loss to the Lions, I'm sure they have done a lot of work on the draft. To sign a big impact DT in FA would have cost too much and we would not have had any cap left to fill holes. I'm guessing they really like one of the top DT in the draft class. The guy I think that is, T.Vondre Sweat. He starts at NT and Turner moves to his natural 3 Tech position. I'm here for it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There was a DT they were in on in FA and lost out, I'll try to find it, not a big name. I did think it was strange.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Albert Breer reporting that Donald called McVay the day after the Lions game and told him. So they’ve definitely known for a long time.

Also if you go back and watch Donald’s media availability after that game, when he’s asked about coming back for next year, he says yes but you can clearly see he was not giving a full answer.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
There was a DT they were in on in FA and lost out, I'll try to find it, not a big name. I did think it was strange.
Its Malcolm Roach. He's more of a run stuffer and, frankly, not fantastic. Kind of a depth player so far in his career.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Desjuan Johnson can also play DT, but your point absolutely stands.
Michael Hoecht will be coming back and the Rams will move him to his natural position on the defensive front. They will need a backup NT as Turner will move to Donald's position and as of right now I believe the starters will be Turner, Brown & Hoecht with presently the backups being Johnson & Durden prior to any other additions.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Also Peter Schrager reporting that people in the Rams organization felt like it was ADs last season pretty much all year. I know some people on here was shocked but it sounds like no one within the organization was. McVay and Snead definitely have a plan.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Unless we are unbelievably lucky in the draft, there's no player off our roster that can reasonably replace AD. They have a plan and are sticking with it.

dang

Legend
Albert Breer reporting that Donald called McVay the day after the Lions game and told him. So they’ve definitely known for a long time.

Also if you go back and watch Donald’s media availability after that game, when he’s asked about coming back for next year, he says yes but you can clearly see he was not giving a full answer.
So this.
As we suspected the Rams knew well ahead of FA. Therefore they have a plan that will likely include another FA vet, a high draft pick and likely some Draft depth. I hope Hoecht is targeted for DE/5T.

Psycho_X

Legend
Also Peter Schrager reporting that people in the Rams organization felt like it was ADs last season pretty much all year. I know some people on here was shocked but it sounds like no one within the organization was. McVay and Snead definitely have a plan.
I honestly think they knew last offseason too. I think Kobie Turner was targeted specifically as an AD replacement. So they prepared for it last offseason and let him learn beside the legend.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd have to say there was nothing in their budget range they thought was worth it.

They have one real stud along the line in Turner.. a guy who, when healthy, in Brown, who gives them a plus guy on first and second downs.

They have work to do here.. but I think the draft gives them an opportunity. Maybe one value veteran later on.
They seem to be likely losing Jonah Williams.. maybe that slot is for a vet min guy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It sure sounds like the plan was to lean into offense, keep Stafford upright and run the ball, try for a top 3 offense.

And just try to give the D pieces to get it to middle of the pack.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I honestly think they knew last offseason too. I think Kobie Turner was targeted specifically as an AD replacement. So they prepared for it last offseason and let him learn beside the legend.
Agreed. I think they knew 2 years ago when he flirted with retirement that his time with them was coming to an end and started planning for next steps. Kobie Turner is no AD but he's a pretty good consolation prize.