If AD told the Rams he was retiring before free agency, then why didn't the Rams sign a DT instead of . . . ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

20hrswk

UDFA
If they knew they were in great need of a DT, why did they use $ instead to sign TE, OG ??

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think that's an interesting question and I wonder what Snead would respond to that.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Because the didnt see the value in the DTs available. Like $100M for a 28 yr old Christian Wilkins.

They may feel they can address that position with 1 or 2 of their top 100 picks in the draft. Thus by addressing other needs in FA, where they may have seen a better value and bang for their buck, they now have the ability to bypass those needs and then address the DL in the draft.

Simple as that.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Stick with the plan. Donald has been flirting with retirement for 2 seasons now. The front office has obviously had 2 scenarios planned for if he stays or if he goes. This is the plan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who's to say they didn't try to sign a higher profile DT or Edge?

Maybe the cost wasn't right?

Maybe they prefer options in the draft?

Maybe we should let our Super Bowl winning organization do their magic and sit back and enjoy the ride :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is another round of free agents after the draft with June cuts.

Always some surprises hit the market then, too.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
OL was probably still the priority. We needed to keep Dotson and address the center position. What's better, making the OL elite or patching various positions and not making one of them dominant?

They knew he was retiring, but how much of a heads up before FA did he give them? Was it enough time to change their offseason strategy and explore trades? Also, does it make our team better overall if we throw all of our money at one elite player and not have money leftover for the positions we've addressed so far?

Maybe they're cool with rolling with Bobby Brown and Kobie Turner so far and then looking for cheaper, complementary pass rushers to add to them in the draft and late free agency.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Because they didn’t perceive any of the players available to be worth the price.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If they knew they were in great need of a DT, why did they use $ instead to sign TE, OG ??

The revelation of Kobie Turner and an offensive minded head coach whose team is going to be carried by the offense with or without Donald.

Besides, they were said to be in on former Saints DT Malcolm Roach before he signed with Denver.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I can see the plan here.

The entire offense is essentially locked in for two years. With AD retiring, we lose the impact he had in making everyone around him better.

Now I would bet that most of the premium picks will go toward the defense - possibly all of our top 100 picks - and then you can see this two year plan forming from McVay:

If we hit on three impact defensive players in the draft, cool, we can win the Super Bowl this year.

Whether we do or not, our foundation for next year will be locked in and we should have some cap space - so next year is when we can swing big if needed.

It basically allows the offense to carry the defense until the young guys gel this season.

I love it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe they prefer options in the draft?

Maybe we should let our Super Bowl winning organization do their magic and sit back and enjoy the ride :)
I agree here and IMO, I believe the Rams learned so much last year. They had no alternative because of cap restraints to focus on the draft and bargain free agents. Now I believe they feel more strongly about loving them picks.

The draft provides cost effective labor so they could have felt that if Donald did retire, like last year, they would focus on their draft capital to bring in reinforcements. Snead has some excellent scouts so let them find the guys and draft them accordingly. However, in other areas where they feel the need to add free agents, they will address those areas accordingly.

So this team is now transitioning the offense to more of a run first power scheme and the defense will transform too year over year. Backup QB they also learned that they needed someone who could come in and win games. So as @OldSchool so astutely communicates, let Les Snead and his area scouts do their job and see how the draft unfolds with maybe some late signings too.

Psycho_X

Legend
Because we have Kobie Turner and Bobbie Brown who were pretty good in their respective roles last year. Turner's success rate even against double teams really eases ADs retirement. Obviously no one replaces AD but we have bodies there currently. We had only one starter signed for the interior o-line though. Another trip to the Super Bowl starts with Stafford being protected. Set that up first and build from there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think I can see the plan here.

The entire offense is essentially locked in for two years. With AD retiring, we lose the impact he had in making everyone around him better.

Now I would bet that most of the premium picks will go toward the defense - possibly all of our top 100 picks - and then you can see this two year plan forming from McVay:

If we hit on three impact defensive players in the draft, cool, we can win the Super Bowl this year.

Whether we do or not, our foundation for next year will be locked in and we should have some cap space - so next year is when we can swing big if needed.

It basically allows the offense to carry the defense until the young guys gel this season.

I love it.
The impact AD99 will be forever.My example is John Sullivan & Andrew Whitworth.I can go back to my first thread.Now because of the Culture you have a guy like Steve Avila.Dotson for that matter.Big Rob is the last St.Louis Ram.Noteboom came into after it was established .

On defense the beauty of HOF players like Von Miller & Bobby Wagner have helped.AD99 really stepped up the last 2(3) seasons.He always lead by example,but players like Ernest Jones & now Kobe Turner get it.

Eric Henderson will be missed a long with AD99,but the culture they left is already there.Raheem Morris meant a lot,but remember there are 2 Ram coaches that have been apart of these since Sean Mcvay has been HC in Shula & Kramer.
Look at AC Carter what he will bring from AD99 & Henderson.Then now add Giff.
Your on the right track,but losing AD99 in some ways only helps The Rams chances in some ways.It is fun as well because of the strive Sean Mcvay has built.He has always let coaches coach.An example will be the impact that John(Stretch) will have on game day as an example of Sean Mcvay growth.Expect him to be more dialed in on defense & the structure that he & Shula(coaches)help put together.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree here and IMO, I believe the Rams learned so much last year. They had no alternative because of cap restraints to focus on the draft and bargain free agents. Now I believe they feel more strongly about loving them picks.

The draft provides cost effective labor so they could have felt that if Donald did retire, like last year, they would focus on their draft capital to bring in reinforcements. Snead has some excellent scouts so let them find the guys and draft them accordingly. However, in other areas where they feel the need to add free agents, they will address those areas accordingly.

So this team is now transitioning the offense to more of a run first power scheme and the defense will transform too year over year. Backup QB they also learned that they needed someone who could come in and win games. So as @OldSchool so astutely communicates, let Les Snead and his area scouts do their job and see how the draft unfolds with maybe some late signings too.

I call a little BS on just the fact of how much more The Rams & Les Snead have learned over the years.
Just saying go back & listen to what Les Snead is saying on a couple more of the things your posting about.That is in 2 other places that The Rams are more focused on(3) that his Pro Scouts will be able to be able to fill in whatever The Rams need.

You compare where Les Snead was as a GM vs. 2020 & he become like a Dr. Frederick Frankenstein .Full made scientist when it comes to the draft.2023 was his best by far draft.

I feel like Jake,but the formula is there.I can explain it better,but my examples that he uses is Super Bowl year in OBJ & Von Miller.I’ll say Sean Mcay(Raheem) with Eric Weddle was GENUIS & him calling the plays in the Super Bowl with a broken collar bone(3 plays in?). Then the example he uses as having his hands tied,but being able to get a Trent Williams or a McCafferey & not having the cap space. —Yes finding a Dotson or now better because of cap.Now add the June 1’s.

I don’t know what The Draft will look like,but Les Snead has used hitting on Todd Gurley & then dipping back into the 1st.rd for Ogletree. He moved up for The little WR.,but that was (sized) under Fisher.I’m sure with Sean Mcvay he will get him his ( 1 of) guy. In the 1st.rd.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because their #1 priority, with or without Donald, is to keep Stafford vertical, and putting a couple of monsters in front of him was the best way to ensure that.

dang

Legend
The Rams hit big in their first 3 picks last year with Avila (R2), BYoung (R3) and Turner (R3). They also found a hidden gem in Nacua (R5). If they do similar this year they could be 1-2 FAs and a K away from a solid starting lineup for all 3 phases. They will continue to scour available FAs (DL, CB, Edge) for fills but another excellent draft should set them up nicely.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
BTW - looking at AD99’s history it has always been about getting paid what he thought he deserved & has always kept to that.He has always threatened & held out for that reason.

He has been through that & he isn’t playing for just The Love of The Game. Now that he has won a SuperBowl is 100% healthy & has squared out a beautiful 10 years of being a Pro Bowler his career & Goals are complete.

When he see’s less than DT’s making more than him he gets pissed & wants to be PAID his worth.He knows NOW(last few years) The Rams can’t afford it. He is a PITTSBURG guy & that was the only other team he would have played for as well.

I know this is not a AD99 thread,but I know how he has been & The Rams have Always RESECTED him & worked under his terms to keep the relationship healthy.I commend The Rams Organiztion for there FIRST CLASS ways of keeping such a GREAT CULTURE inside & outside of the buildings.
I also don’t think they saw AD99 retiring to start the 2024 season, & AD99 was ready to start the Season.

Aaron Donald was Truly 1 of a kind.There is NO PLAYER in NFL History that worked harder maintaining his body & skill more during the offseason.