Ian Rapoport: Doesn't think Rams will fire Fisher anytime soon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams could bring in Don Coryell and Fisher still wouldn't let him throw the ball.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Great, now I got Olivia Neutron Bomb's voice in my head with that song...

"Stanadu....Stanaduuuuuuuu"

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
his contract ends this year right? maybe firing wont be necessary.

Bingo. Choice of words. It also doesn't look good to fire a coach with 6 games left in a four (?) year contract. Who would want to coach for that dumpster fire? Shake hands with Fisher and wish him luck on his future ventures.

Find a qualified coach who is great at game planning and adjustments, and wants to have Mike Martz as OC and Singletary as a DC.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I am in no Fisher category mostly because i don't like watching 13-10 games. It is so mind numbingly boring to watch 16 such games. Show me an exciting offense and Fisher can stay for two more years.
I love these type of games...but i'd also like a HC who is willing to curbstomp the opponent offensively when the time is right.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo. Choice of words. It also doesn't look good to fire a coach with 6 games left in a four (?) year contract. Who would want to coach for that dumpster fire? Shake hands with Fisher and wish him luck on his future ventures.

Find a qualified coach who is great at game planning and adjustments, and wants to have Mike Martz as OC and Singletary as a DC.
We can hold out hope that this happens lol I'm in a twilight zone where I want the guys to win but don't want fisher extended. they seem mutually exclusive at this point

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love these type of games...but i'd also like a HC who is willing to curbstomp the opponent offensively when the time is right.
i agree... love a qood defensive scrap game every now and then but that game Sunday should have been a blow out

jap

Legend
I think Fish could provide that type of environment too. If he could get past the philosophical differences that Martz brings. But again here's the thing... Fish is actually confused because he drafted a spread offense type wideout in Tavon, another guy in Coop who's best served in that type of offense, a QB who fits Martz like a glove in Goff, a RB who would beast in a passing offense in Gurley, etc. Plus he even let Schotty's sorry @$$ try to open up the offense with Bradford. So I'm not so sure Fish wouldn't be open to Martz IF the ownership told him "I am willing to keep you around if you will bring this guy in as your OC." He might surprise us.

Lest people forget, Stan the Man was here when Dickie V was bulldozed into accepting Mike Martz as OC. I am sure he has not forgotten that worst-to-first swing within a single year's time. The 1998 Rams who were 4-12 surged to a 13-3 ledger the following year. Fish has done an exceptional job servicing the defense and special teams. It's the offense that has been his downfall. I still would love to see the Horns become a top 10, even top five team in all three phases of the game, but Fish's idea of offense needs an enema.

The intriguing thing with Martz is that he is all about mismatches, regardless of whether you are talking passing or rushing. More than anyone else, he spearheaded the revolution of the modern passing game. Still, I found it intriguing that he sees creating mismatches with the running game to be a worthwhile strategy now that virtually the entire league has followed his lead in emphasizing the passing game. With Goff at QB, the Gurley Man at RB, and a number of interesting receivers, I would love! to see what magical play schemes he can conjure up on napkins for our Horns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There are proven offensive minded OC guys with a ton of OC experience out there. Norv Turner and Mike Shanahan are unemployed and either would be a huge upgrade over Cignetti and Boras. I bet Turner or Shanahan would jump at the chance to OC Goff, Gurley and Austin.
This^ as long as we keep Williams and his Staff and Fassel I'll be happy!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Lest people forget, Stan the Man was here when Dickie V was bulldozed into accepting Mike Martz as OC. I am sure he has not forgotten that worst-to-first swing within a single year's time. The 1998 Rams who were 4-12 surged to a 13-3 ledger the following year. Fish has done an exceptional job servicing the defense and special teams. It's the offense that has been his downfall. I still would love to see the Horns become a top 10, even top five team in all three phases of the game, but Fish's idea of offense needs an enema.

The intriguing thing with Martz is that he is all about mismatches, regardless of whether you are talking passing or rushing. More than anyone else, he spearheaded the revolution of the modern passing game. Still, I found it intriguing that he sees creating mismatches with the running game to be a worthwhile strategy now that virtually the entire league has followed his lead in emphasizing the passing game. With Goff at QB, the Gurley Man at RB, and a number of interesting receivers, I would love! to see what magical play schemes he can conjure up on napkins for our Horns.

Fisher saying he would hire Martz is just about the ONLY thing he could do to convince me to keep him around, if I were the owner. My rationale there is Fish is actually a solid head coach, but he simply cannot stack his offensive staff to save his life. So the agreement to bring a guy like Martz in would actually give this team a solid head coach to handle the players and all the BS, and a coordinator on each side of the ball who complement each other very well. Remember how well Williams' defense paired with Payton's pass happy offense?

Yeah, it would be real nice to see Martz/Williams and best part is neither would be the hot young coordinator that will get hired away.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Best case scenario Gregg Williams becomes interim HC, Keeps the job and brings in Asshole Face to run the offense.
I don't see how people think this is a possibility, I think they've made it clear they'd rather leave football entirely than work with each other.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think that those hoping for Fisher to remain as HC and hire a quality vet OC type are doomed to disappointment.

And for two reasons.

1) Fisher would never relinquish control over the O area. Never gonna happen.

2) What experienced quality vet OC in his right mind would want to operate under Fisher's restrictions? I mean, that could be a career killing experience.

Nope. Our salvation comes only by replacing Fisher. All of our O woes start at the top.

Been saying this for 2 years now. Wake up, Mr Kroenke!

What control does Fisher exercise over the O? What control does he have? As far as I know he doesn't decide the plays to call, let alone even asking for a run or pass on every play like DV used to with Martz in 1999.

The problem is the QB first, ownership second, OL third. That's as of today. Subject to change.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What control does Fisher exercise over the O? What control does he have? As far as I know he doesn't decide the plays to call, let alone even asking for a run or pass on every play like DV used to with Martz in 1999.

The problem is the QB first, ownership second, OL third. That's as of today. Subject to change.

He established the general philosophical approach to offense, and then hires the OC to implement that. No, he doesn't call plays ... but Boras calls plays in a manner that is consistent with Fisher's offensive philosophy, and it is one that predated his hire by the Rams by nearly two decades.

Furthermore, he is the HEAD coach. When it comes to the product that is on the field, the buck stops with the head coach. Period.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He established the general philosophical approach to offense, and then hires the OC to implement that. No, he doesn't call plays ... but Boras calls plays in a manner that is consistent with Fisher's offensive philosophy, and it is one that predated his hire by the Rams by nearly two decades.

Furthermore, he is the HEAD coach. When it comes to the product that is on the field, the buck stops with the head coach. Period.

I agree that the buck stops with the HC. I disagree that he is exerting any downward pressure on playcalling on either side of the ball.

And if you or anyone else can nail down Fishers offensive philosophy you'll be smarter than anyone else in the discussion.

Ground and pound. No. Air it out. No. Spread. No.

I can do this all night hahaha

But I have booty on the way so gotta go.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I agree that the buck stops with the HC. I disagree that he is exerting any downward pressure on playcalling on either side of the ball.

And if you or anyone else can nail down Fishers offensive philosophy you'll be smarter than anyone else in the discussion.

Ground and pound. No. Air it out. No. Spread. No.

I can do this all night hahaha

But I have booty on the way so gotta go.

If he has any input to the gameplan at all, then he's exerted at least some downward pressure on the playcalling. And I don't think one needs to be very smart to figure out Fisher's offensive philosophy ... he's got a pretty long and consistent history on both sides of the ball.

Nevertheless, I'll be here trying to nail that down, while you go nail something else :)

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Are you being serious with that question, Les? Surely you jest. Lol.

Fisher has a certain O "philosophy", shall we say?

And his OC damned well better design his plays and gameplan that stays within that philosophy. So, it's not necessary that Fisher personally call every play. He's still very much in control of the overall O.

That is probably why outside strong willed vet OC's don't want to work for Fisher. Hell, some of them (Gase) won't even interview for the job.

Vermeil and Fisher are polar opposites as far as giving authority to their OC's. Vermeil gave the reins to Martz completely. Fisher has kept 3 consecutive OC's on short leashes. And the results speak for themselves.

The worst part? It's never gonna change.

Lastly, we greatly disagree on our "needs list" to repair our O.Here's my hierarchy of change needs to result in an at least average O:

Hire new HC.
Let him select his own OC and all other asst coaches.

Once those two steps have been taken, all else will fall into place. There is already playoff worthy talent on this roster.

Kroenke, Demoff, and Snead are all doing a fine job, IMO. Fisher is the damned bottleneck in our success process.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Are you being serious with that question, Les? Surely you jest. Lol.

Fisher has a certain O "philosophy", shall we say?

And his OC damned well better design his plays and gameplan that stays within that philosophy. So, it's not necessary that Fisher personally call every play. He's still very much in control of the overall O.

That is probably why outside strong willed vet OC's don't want to work for Fisher. Hell, some of them (Gase) won't even interview for the job.

Vermeil and Fisher are polar opposites as far as giving authority to their OC's. Vermeil gave the reins to Martz completely. Fisher has kept 3 consecutive OC's on short leashes. And the results speak for themselves.

The worst part? It's never gonna change.

Lastly, we greatly disagree on our "needs list" to repair our O.Here's my hierarchy of change needs to result in an at least average O:

Hire new HC.
Let him select his own OC and all other asst coaches.

Once those two steps have been taken, all else will fall into place. There is already playoff worthy talent on this roster.

Kroenke, Demoff, and Snead are all doing a fine job, IMO. Fisher is the damned bottleneck in our success process.

This is still just opinion and supposition, because we really DON'T know what is happening behind closed doors.

I'm curious if anyone can actually nail down Fisher's philosophy on offense, because I've looked at his TENN teams and they are all over the board with pass/run ratio, scoring, total yards and everything else.

That's why I balk at tagging something with a label that doesn't fit well. And no label fits well. If I could say one thing about his philosophy it would be that it shifts base one one big factor. That being how good the QB is.