Ian Rapoport: Doesn't think Rams will fire Fisher anytime soon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Rams’ Stan Kroenke, Kevin Demoff Refuse to talk Jeff Fisher Extension

by Michael Moraitis

Both Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke and COO Kevin Demoff refused to comment on any contract extension for Jeff Fisher.

Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke refused to talk a contract extension for head coach Jeff Fisher, which was echoed by the team’s COO Kevin Demoff.

When asked about Fisher’s future during the team’s groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday for the new stadium in Inglewood, Kroenke had a big fat no comment, according to Alden Gonzalez of ESPN.com.
In fact, Kroenke even referred reporters to Demoff in regards to both Fisher and general manager Les Snead’s futures.

So I asked Demoff for an update. "No updates on their contracts,” Demoff said via email.

Well, there you have it. After reports surfaced before the season that Fisher and Snead might both be in line for extensions, it turns out that may not be the case.

Instead, Fisher looks headed for the exit in Los Angeles. The Rams are now 4-6 after another offenseless loss to the Miami Dolphins that saw Fisher’s squad blow a 10-0 lead with six minutes left to play. While heartbreaking nonetheless, it was a typical Sunday afternoon for the hapless Rams.

Rookie quarterback and No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff survived his debut, but there wasn’t much to be excited about. In Goff’s defense, it doesn’t seem the Rams are ready to let him off the leash quite yet and it’s something that needs to change before season’s end. We have to see what this kid has.

Link to entire article. http://ramblinfan.com/2016/11/21/kroenke-demoff-refuse-jeff-fisher-extension/

The only two that know anything are Kroenke and Demoff. Other than that, it's pure speculation on the media's part.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
You are correct Bubba. But there are two enormous problems with that approach:

1. If an OC comes in here and gets this offense rolling, dude will be hired away as head coach. Every owner wants a guy who can develop QBs now. Only guy who might be old and tired enough to stick with us in the face of head coaching offers is Martz. Even Mike Shanahan would punch out the next year and take over another team if and when he had success with us.

2. Look at Fisher's history... Dude cannot hire a great OC to save his life. He even whiffed on DC here with the Rams with Walton. He'd probably need to have help in finding or bringing in a top OC. Even worse, I am sure his contract specifies control over staff just like everything else.

Like I said last year Martz is the perfect option. Loves the Rams. Misses the game. Still better than most OCs in this league. But Fish probably hates or resents him at the least. And if he did hire Martz I guarantee Goff would be a terror in year two and the hoopla around Mad Mike and the offense would drive Fish batshit crazy too lol. So yeah. Don't see Fish ever entertaining that, unless Stan told him to make it happen or walk at years' end.

I really don't get this love for Martz as an OC. Did he coach and run the greatest show on turf? With hall of famers at every position group on the offense? Yes he did.

Did we also watch him destroy Quarterbacks, not only for our team but also for others? All of this happening after those greatest show on turf years were over? Yes.

He honestly was there in the right place at the right time. Could it happen again? Sure, and our Ram offense could be set up perfectly for Martz. However, he consistently got Qb's killed, was not good at building/coaching oline, and hasn't really had much success since those greatest show years.

Fisher would never ever work with Martz. The two have very very different philosophies. More than hiring a new OC (and aside from firing Fisher) the only thing that helps this team turn the corner is Fish changing his philosophy. I honestly do not see him changing his philosophy. . . Is there another Buddy Ryan disciple out there that has swayed from that core philosophy? (I know Rex hasn't)

lockdnram21

Legend
Kroenke doesn't need to fire Fisher. He needs to hire an experienced OC..
Quit promoting rookie coaches to OC with no OC experience. There are proven offensive minded OC guys with a ton of OC experience out there. Norv Turner and Mike Shanahan are unemployed and either would be a huge upgrade over Cignetti and Boras. I bet Turner or Shanahan would jump at the chance to OC Goff, Gurley and Austin.

I cringed when they named Cignetti OC. When the let him go, I thought "Oh good, they're finally going to go out and get an experience OC. Then they name Boras OC. Double cringe.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

And they get the same results. You'd think they'd learn.
Fisher needs to go because any coordinator fish gets is still going with his philosophy

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really don't get this love for Martz as an OC. Did he coach and run the greatest show on turf? With hall of famers at every position group on the offense? Yes he did.

Did we also watch him destroy Quarterbacks, not only for our team but also for others? All of this happening after those greatest show on turf years were over? Yes.

He honestly was there in the right place at the right time. Could it happen again? Sure, and our Ram offense could be set up perfectly for Martz. However, he consistently got Qb's killed, was not good at building/coaching oline, and hasn't really had much success since those greatest show years.

Fisher would never ever work with Martz. The two have very very different philosophies. More than hiring a new OC (and aside from firing Fisher) the only thing that helps this team turn the corner is Fish changing his philosophy. I honestly do not see him changing his philosophy. . . Is there another Buddy Ryan disciple out there that has swayed from that core philosophy? (I know Rex hasn't)

Although I do kind of see a matching of the Rams defense with a Martz offense. Can you imagine our D pinning their ears back rather than having to be the stalwart

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Call Martz immediately! Or even sooner!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
his contract ends this year right? maybe firing wont be necessary. Side note, if he does decide to extend fisher, I hope they at least take some of his power away. He has not shown that he can make sound personnel and draft decisions.

ram007

Starter
I am in no Fisher category mostly because i don't like watching 13-10 games. It is so mind numbingly boring to watch 16 such games. Show me an exciting offense and Fisher can stay for two more years.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Last year at this time I said: "I can't imagine a scenario where Fisher retains his job with the Rams".
Here we go again.

I don't believe he will be fired before the end of the season but what reason could be given to explain a contract extension?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I would be ok with Fisher staying, if Groh was named OC and allowed to bring in any O staff he would prefer over the existing staff. It would atleast give me some hope for the O, and my biggest concern with firing Fisher is what happens to this D? I dont know if GWs would stay if Fisher was fired, and this D is fun to watch. The D would dominate if the O could sustain drives and give the D a breather while putting up points. Fisher needs to make a change at OC as usual, but replace them with someone capable not someone that is gonna do more of the same shit that isnt working.

Maybe Goff will have a strong enough showing to save the entire staff.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Fisher doesn't have to be fired, his contract just doesn't have to be renewed. It's a move that costs nothing financially. Fisher was one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL when he signed his deal in 2012. He's the 5th highest paid coach this year You think he's going to come back at a discount after being an overpaid sloth coach for years?

The arguments for keeping Fisher are weak, and the new OC under Fisher idea also doesn't work. Fisher won't relent control like that to a free wheeling offensive coordinator, it goes against every fiber of his conservative football body.

Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history. Other coaches must be irate at his job security.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kroenke doesn't need to fire Fisher. There are proven offensive minded OC guys with a ton of OC experience out there. Norv Turner and Mike Shanahan are unemployed and either would be a huge upgrade over Cignetti and Boras. I bet Turner or Shanahan would jump at the chance to OC Goff, Gurley and Austin.
Turner is the offensive version of Fisher. Hasnt won anything in 20 years and rehired on his name alone.

tempests

Hall of Fame
The thing with the Vermeil/Martz marriage is they saw eye to eye when it came to offense. DV knew his offense stunk-he didn't hesitate to express that sentiment through the press- and drastic change was needed. Martz came to him with his revolutionary pass to set up the run and Vermeil was all in on it. He believed in spreading the field not just horizontally but vertically as well. He believed in an offense that eschewed chewing clock and rather predicated on speed and explosiveness. And he kept that freewheeling, wide open style when he went to KC.

Even if Fisher was feeling his seat getting warm-unlikely-he doesn't have the same self awareness or daring to make the sweeping changes that Vermeil did.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
he doesnt think they will FIRE fisher or they will EXTEND fisher? big difference there. aside from losing the next 3 or so games, I cant see Fisher getting fired because theres really no reason for it. The Rams are essentially out of playoffs so its not like a coaching change will do anything to salvage this season, and its not like they are (can?) go out and hire a new coach atm anyway.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Dear Ian Rappaport:

Define "anytime soon".

Thank you.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The wife made me an offer I couldn't refuse to miss the second half...

So, I could barely muster disappointment when the Rams lost, let alone anger, resentment and all the rest of the understandable emotions and feelings.

It's just not healthy to dwell on the negative.

Fisher's just not going to change. And after 5 years, his plan isn't going to all of a sudden amount to success. So, I'll root on Sunday and simply be surprised when we win.

I'd rather make the wife happy than have her be upset because I'm upset because Fisher's consistently unable to adapt to modern football. That's just...idiotic.

And if Fisher's still the HC after the season, well... I can't honestly say that I'll care enough to post much more "realism". Pretty sure we all get it.

And honestly, anyone who wants to believe Fisher can change... well, whether it's delusion or just unconquerable optimism... have at it. God Bless.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The thing is - he doesn't need to be fired - his contract is up.

The Rams have to hire a head coach for next season - they can choose to bring back Fisher or they can look elsewhere, but they can't just not decide.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Year after we have seen Cordinators turn down the job here because of the shackles Fisher puts on his offense. That isn't changing this year folks. Time to end that dream and move on

If Kroenke is truly a good businessman he lets Fish walk instead of resigning him for the amount he makes this year at around 7.5 million. Fish is one of the highest paid coaches in the league with one of the largest staffs. Kroenke can save a ton of money by letting him go and by bringing in a cheaper young coach who will properly develop Goff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I've had this argument more than once and never has it swayed anyone who feels as you do. But what the heck else do we have to discuss? So here goes, starting with QBs:

Warner: best years under Martz. Martz coached him into the player he became. Martz put that offense together with an enormous playbook and had 11 players all executing flawlessly in ONE camp.

Bulger: best years under Martz. Dude was a pro bowl player under Martz and his offense. Under anyone else he was a backup at best.

Kitna: best years under Martz with 4k yards passing twice, throwing to guys like Furrey who had 1k yards his first year under Mad Mike. At that point Kitna was on his last legs, and not a very good QB, but his talent was maximized.

Looking further at Detroit here's the team rankings for the year he was fired:
346 points for (16th in NFL)
444 points allowed (32nd in NFL)

But somehow Mad Mike was the guy fired by his DEFENSIVE head coach after the 2007 season. It was almost criminal.

His last two stops were the 9ers, where he fought with idiot defensive head coaches like Nolan and Singletary, neither of whom were cut out to run it all. And then the Bears, where he had Lovie but also Jay Cutler. Who, btw, is well on his way to getting John Fox fired this season.

I'm not saying the dude is flawless. But I'm saying the guy you would be getting now has all of that offensive knowledge and experience putting together a great offense, plus he's older and wiser and would probably be able to swallow his ego like he did the first go-round with Vermiel. Which, btw, was when he was truly at his best. When DV took care of all the BS and let him coach his @$$ off.

I think Fish could provide that type of environment too. If he could get past the philosophical differences that Martz brings. But again here's the thing... Fish is actually confused because he drafted a spread offense type wideout in Tavon, another guy in Coop who's best served in that type of offense, a QB who fits Martz like a glove in Goff, a RB who would beast in a passing offense in Gurley, etc. Plus he even let Schotty's sorry @$$ try to open up the offense with Bradford. So I'm not so sure Fish wouldn't be open to Martz IF the ownership told him "I am willing to keep you around if you will bring this guy in as your OC." He might surprise us.