I rewatched the Lion game last night...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I power watched it, really. With special attention to GRob, Wichmann (in second half) on O and Long on D.

Mostly because of recent board thread interest.

I've gotta say that I think GRob has become something of a whipping boy by some board posters. His play was far better than some commentary I've read. To hear some posters and maybe PFF, you would think GRob was the dumbest, laziest, and most ineffective LOT in the league. My eyes told me otherwise as I watched every single snap of his in this game. Is he perfect? Of course not. But he's definitely improving right before our eyes.

I encourage the detractors to rewatch the game and his snaps, if possible. And objectively, without a predetermined agenda. Plus remember that he was up against Ansah all game long. Certainly no day at the beach. I came away after rewatching with new confidence that GRob has a big future at LOT (not OG) in this league.

Wichmann looks promising. His second half looked pretty danged good, if you ask me. We might have something there, especially after an offseason of NFL weight training.

Long, on the other hand, looks like he's done. Maybe he's hurt, I dunno. But he's only able to go through the motions right now. Hayes is much more effective. I can't justify paying Long anywhere close to the scheduled $14 million next year. Honestly, right now he's a JAG, just a shadow of his former self.

Some other random thoughts...

Our punt coverage team is very, very good. Just outstanding. Kekker is an All Pro, but it's more than just him. Bryant's play at the goal line was stellar. Constant downing the ball inside the 15 yard line. Forcing opponents to make fair catches. Nowhere for opponents to run if they don't call for the fair catch. It's a helluva punt coverage unit.

We are watching greatness in this Gurley kid. The vision, the power to break tackles, the football smarts, the desire even after being throttled in the 1st half... And I don't think he is quite 100% just yet. Just wait until next year. Lol.

Something positive is going on on our OL. Is it less zone and more man blocking? Increased experience and confidence? Simple halftime adjustments? Play calling by Boras? Extra effort because of a stud RB in their backfield? More faith in Keenum? Maybe a little bit of all of these things? I dunno, but I'm encouraged by what I'm now seeing.

Keenum did not have an impressive game statistically. But he reportedly made numerous good calls changing us into better plays at LOS. And that tells me he has at least a modest ability to read defenses. He may not be Tom Brady, but at least he doesn't beat himself as Foles was doing. Kinda refreshing after what we've been seeing since mid '13 season, huh? That's gotta be a morale positive influence, don't you think?

TruJo is a "must have" for this D. We absolutely, positively must resign Tru for next year. It would be a sin to develop him for 4 years only to let him walk away when he's playing at such a high level. I call this decision a no brainer.

Kudos to a D playing without the following:

Quinn
Ogletree
Jenkins
Gaines
McDonald

And with Long at only half strength. Hats off to GW.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
43 I have to say this about you.

You get the least dug in on players, the team, the coaching staff and any other topic and it's refreshing. You always listen to reasonable arguments and discussion and if your original thoughts are off base you can see it and change your mind without a back and forth post after post "death match". It's very rare and I have HUGE respect for you because of that.

Your point about the D here without all those guys is a big one. They really played their asses off and were "on paper" undermanned. But that's not how it turned out is it LOL.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nice write up 43. And I agree with everything you said. It's not over the top - just logical stuff that makes sense from an observation stand point.

My oldest and I watched it again the other day and we were just cracking up at Gurley's hurdle on one of his long runs. You see a lot of NFL players "hurdle" defenders. But Gurley looked like he was in a track meet - not playing football. Very little wasted motion - just like going over an actual hurdle in track. We are witnessing a very talented and special football player.

And yeah. I have thought the same about GRob. He has had a rough start but he is not nearly as bad as some want to make him out.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have the time to re-watch every game, but I enjoy reading other fan's opinions after watching film. Great to hear about Robinson and Wichmann and the o-line in general, and also Keenum. And I absolutely agree about Trumaine Johnson. I hope we can keep both cornerbacks, since they were drafted by the Rams. Thanks for posting 43!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You get the least dug in on players, the team, the coaching staff and any other topic and it's refreshing. You always listen to reasonable arguments and discussion and if your original thoughts are off base you can see it and change your mind without a back and forth post after post "death match". It's very rare and I have HUGE respect for you because of that.
Yeah - maybe you could teach Les some of that. :whistle:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I glossed over that. While I don't think Long is playing at the level he once did, he is still putting pressure on the QB and plays very good run D on his side. I'm not sure if his contract is too big but I would like to see him back in horns next season. Hayes is a very good rotational guy and we actually have a few of them. I wouldn't say he is as good as Long though.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/chris-long/

Chris Long signed a 4 year, $48,200,000 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including a $6,050,000 signing bonus, $36,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $12,050,000. In 2015, Long will earn a base salary of $7,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Long has a cap hit of $12,500,000 while his dead money value is $8,000,000.

Contract: 4 yr(s) / $48,200,000 Signing Bonus $6,050,000 Average Salary$12,050,000 Guaranteed:$36,750,000 Free Agent:2017 / UFA

Year
Age Base Salary Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Option Bonus Workout Bonus Restruc. Bonus Misc. Cap Hit Dead Cap
rams2.png
27 $10,310,000 - - $4,500,000 - $6,050,000 $-1,852,500 $19,007,500 -
rams2.png
28 $7,050,000 - - - - $1,500,000 - $8,550,000 $13,250,000
rams2.png
29 $10,200,000 - $200,000 - - $2,500,000 - $12,900,000 $17,900,000
rams2.png
30 $7,000,000 - $3,000,000 - - $2,500,000 - $12,500,000 $8,000,000
rams2.png
31 $9,750,000 - $2,000,000 - - $2,500,000 - $14,250,000 $2,500,000
rams2.png
32 UFA
Contract Notes:
  • $36.76 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus: + 2012-13 salaries)
  • 2015-16 Roster Bonus: $2 million
  • 2013 Restructure Bonus: $6 million
  • 2014 Roster Bonus: $200,000
  • 2014 Restructure: $3M/3 years
Sources: NFL contract specifics generally collected from verified reports. Breakdown information ocassionally confirmed through OTC.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Kudos to a D playing without the following:

Quinn
Ogletree
Jenkins
Gaines
McDonald

And with Long at only half strength. Hats off to GW.

Cannot be overstated - had the same thought watching. Arguably 5 of the best 6 players on D.
(Not to derail anything, but that's one of my main reasons for keeping fish - Rams really are , and will continue, building depth through the draft).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No. I get that. Sorry if it looked like I was responding to your post. I can see that. I was actually responding to the OP.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Agreed. I watched the game again Tuesday night and was paying attention to Chris Long. I love the guy, but he isn't doing a whole lot. Wasn't getting much penetration or close to the QB on pass rushes...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I glossed over that. While I don't think Long is playing at the level he once did, he is still putting pressure on the QB and plays very good run D on his side. I'm not sure if his contract is too big but I would like to see him back in horns next season. Hayes is a very good rotational guy and we actually have a few of them. I wouldn't say he is as good as Long though.

In the Lion game, Long was actually neither putting pressure on the QB nor playing very good run D, 503.

Quite the contrary.

Look, I love Long as a person and for what he has been in the past. Maybe he's playing hurt. So hurt that he's just a shadow of his former self. Which raises the question of why should he even be playing if still that injured? But right now Hayes is outplaying him by a comfortable margin. Which tells us how much Long has slipped, for whatever reason.

The current Chris Long can be upgraded by an early pick in this DE bumper crop in this next draft.

Which should make the retention of both Jenkins and TruJo a real possibility.

It's really a no brainer, if you ask me.

Let's see how Keenum, GRob, Wichmann, Cook, Britt, Long, and Marquez play tonight vs the Bucs.

Their play in these final 3 games might have considerable impact on their Ram career status.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Agreed. I watched the game again Tuesday night and was paying attention to Chris Long. I love the guy, but he isn't doing a whole lot. Wasn't getting much penetration or close to the QB on pass rushes...
Hasn't been healthy all year, and can't even be close to being in top football shape. He's out there, only to help this team, even though it's a lost season. JL is playing with an injury also. Who knows who else is. I think that says a lot to how these players feel about their teammates, coaches, and fans.

@Rams43 , thank you. I'm exhausted of saying it every week. Players are improving, and we are showing to have QUALITY depth, at several positions.

It's pretty clear which positions need to improve the most. Free agency will be very interesting this year, and I hope we don't create more needs.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Hasn't been healthy all year, and can't even be close to being in top football shape. He's out there, only to help this team, even though it's a lost season. JL is playing with an injury also. Who knows who else is. I think that says a lot to how these players feel about their teammates, coaches, and fans.

@Rams43 , thank you. I'm exhausted of saying it every week. Players are improving, and we are showing to have QUALITY depth, at several positions.

It's pretty clear which positions need to improve the most. Free agency will be very interesting this year, and I hope we don't create more needs.

Agreed. It's just sad to see. He's been banged up most of last 2 years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Agreed. It's just sad to see. He's been banged up most of last 2 years.
He has, and that is the problem for me, but the leadership he still brings to a young team, and the willingness to keep throwing his body out there....

If not for the dead money, it would still be a tough decision for me. He is probably the greatest player ambassador for the Rams, currently.