I keep coming back to the first pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I can't see Fisher going OT with the first pick. He's never done it ever. And he's committed to Jake at LOT, Barksdale is fine at ROT, so even a guy like Matthews probably won't be playing LOT for the Rams for years. All he would be doing is sending Barksdale to the bench. Not an optimal plan. My guess is that the Rams right now have one of the better starting tandems of OTs in the NFL. Their concern is the interior not the outside at all.

I'm not sure if a guy like Barr is optimal either. How often does our 3rd LB see the field? And taking Ogletree or JL off the field almost half the time doesn't sound right. So I'm not comfortable with the LB pick that high.

If there was an elite CB, like say Patrick Peterson, I think it would be a slam dunk. But there isn't one or at least I haven't heard of one yet. And there isn't an elite FS like Earl Thomas. No FS deserving consideration as a top 6 pick, for sure.

There doesn't appear to be a DT like Suh or McCoy either. Is there a Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotuliei? Don't think so.

So what is there at the top that's left? QBs and WRs.

Fisher isn't going for another QB that high. He's committed to Sam for at least another year or so. I think we can agree on that.

So that leaves WR. That means Watkins or Evans at this point. Do they pass the logic test? That is, assuming they are elite players who can come right in and play without much of a learning curve. Well, would they be pushing anyone off the field? Yes, a guy like Watkins or Evans would be our WR1 in 2014, unless you are pretty sure Quick is gonna be a quality WR1 next year. Not me. And let's face it, Givens just isn't a WR1. He's simply not physical enough and doesn't attack or fight for the ball. So we can really use a true big time WR1. We don't have one now and Watkins or Evans could be it.

So when I come back to the pick, logic just points me to Watkins or Evans.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I might warm up to a WR later, but at this point the OL is the bigger need.

I am also not buying into Fisher's past record on the oline. Every year the draft presents different scenarios... which debunks the past in my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
I keep coming back to the same three options that make sense to me…..DT, CB or trade down if the first pick is high enough. I think there are a couple of DT that can be difference makers. In a division where two of the teams we are chasing are best defended running man coverage and controlling the run….either DT or CB works for me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lotta isn't there there max, how bout we trade down and draft for depth?

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm all in for trading down at this point. Do the washington trade all over again. Keep rolling in the picks.

Zac was the Rams last pick of the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This isn't as deep of a draft as the last couple. Trading down may not be as productive this year.

Taking Matthews OT would be a good pick because he would likely be BPA. This team is finally starting to catch up on needs. Every team has them but it is great to be able to spend picks on future needs. Matthews or Lewan would be better than Brksdale, so you take them to improve the line....just like Watkins or Evans would be better than Quick, so you take either of them.

Th Rams have more concerns than they do need right now. That gives them options. The team is young with many developing players, so even though we can see improvements we cannot guage what the oaches really think of what they have. Is McGee a good corner? Do they think that McLeod is a starter? Do the think Saffold and Williams are good guards?

I think the Rams are in a good position to take the best player available if they choose.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This isn't as deep of a draft as the last couple. Trading down may not be as productive this year.

Taking Matthews OT would be a good pick because he would likely be BPA. This team is finally starting to catch up on needs. Every team has them but it is great to be able to spend picks on future needs. Matthews or Lewan would be better than Brksdale, so you take them to improve the line....just like Watkins or Evans would be better than Quick, so you take either of them.

Th Rams have more concerns than they do need right now. That gives them options. The team is young with many developing players, so even though we can see improvements we cannot guage what the oaches really think of what they have. Is McGee a good corner? Do they think that McLeod is a starter? Do the think Saffold and Williams are good guards?

I think the Rams are in a good position to take the best player available if they choose.

This is where I am at.

I don't mind small trade downs, but let's face it; the studs and hit rate is much higher in the early rounds.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I love all the draft talk, and I probably will stick to my first instinct which is upgrade the ol. But theres a lot of foofball left annd cuts and freeagency. In reality its hard to get a good read on what they might do until those events take place. But speculation is fun so carry on.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is where I am at.

I don't mind small trade downs, but let's face it; the studs and hit rate is much higher in the early rounds.
This is where I'm at, too. Defense first, O line second. Stop the other team, then score early and often. Not enough

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is where I'm at, too. Defense first, O line second. Stop the other team, then score early and often. Not enough

On where you is....our Ram first Defense first ..The front seven of this team is young and very talented with much cap space $$ & valued high draft picks that are contain & included ....The weakest area IMO is the secondary where failure has been consistent all season. Is this the specific area you speak of??We are about to see if Snead's 5th rd selection rookie CB Brandon McGee is a legit future Ram corner. Other than McGee, Snead & Fisher only have three CB's on the roster! Thats scary! The Safety cadre is a walking medical unit...TJ McDonald, Stewart, Girodano & IR'd Matt Daniels....leaving two healthy safeties Mcleod & rookie UDFA Davis. Several CB & Safeties should be under consideration what you think?

I agree with the OL area big time. This is the oldest area of this very young Ram team. Rams will have two 33 yr old high cost OLers starting next season both have missed many games the last two seasons & have gone under the knife during this time too.

Once our former very high 2nd round Ram draft pick departs for the millionaire club elsewhere the OL will be weakened dramatically. With the loss of Saffold you loose the Rams starting OL for the past four seasons! Saffold was the most complete & talented OLer the Rams have had during this time. You loose a starting OLT/ORT & OG wrapped up in one big young package but stamped with Handle With Care . OG Shelley Smith is a good reserve back up not so sure he is a true NFL level good starter or gamer yet. Rams have two other reserve OL'ers (Jones & Barnes) who have a excellent college pedigree but zero NFL starts amongst them. Barnes has the most NFL game experience. Would appear to me that drafting a couple of OT's who could move a few feet inside, if need be would be.... a No Brainer for Snead & Fisher. Is this what you are thinking?

The Rams could use a few new healthy bodies from the 2014 draft in the order of a few each of OT, CB & Safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That Mike Evans dude is pretty good. He and Ahmad Dixon are my guys so far. Who knows tho.

V3

Hall of Fame
I might warm up to a WR later, but at this point the OL is the bigger need.

I am also not buying into Fisher's past record on the oline. Every year the draft presents different scenarios... which debunks the past in my opinion.

That's a pretty big sample size to reduce to there just not being the right situation to take one. If he needed an OT, he would have taken one in the first somewhere in those 15 years or whatever it was. I can't believe in that time period there wasn't an OT worthy of taking with Tennessee needing one.

V3

Hall of Fame
I can't see Fisher going OT with the first pick. He's never done it ever. And he's committed to Jake at LOT, Barksdale is fine at ROT, so even a guy like Matthews probably won't be playing LOT for the Rams for years. All he would be doing is sending Barksdale to the bench. Not an optimal plan. My guess is that the Rams right now have one of the better starting tandems of OTs in the NFL. Their concern is the interior not the outside at all.

I'm not sure if a guy like Barr is optimal either. How often does our 3rd LB see the field? And taking Ogletree or JL off the field almost half the time doesn't sound right. So I'm not comfortable with the LB pick that high.

If there was an elite CB, like say Patrick Peterson, I think it would be a slam dunk. But there isn't one or at least I haven't heard of one yet. And there isn't an elite FS like Earl Thomas. No FS deserving consideration as a top 6 pick, for sure.

There doesn't appear to be a DT like Suh or McCoy either. Is there a Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotuliei? Don't think so.

Fisher isn't going for another QB that high. He's committed to Sam for at least another year or so. I think we can agree on that.

So that leaves WR. That means Watkins or Evans at this point. Do they pass the logic test? That is, assuming they are elite players who can come right in and play without much of a learning curve. Well, would they be pushing anyone off the field? Yes, a guy like Watkins or Evans would be our WR1 in 2014, unless you are pretty sure Quick is gonna be a quality WR1 next year. Not me. And let's face it, Givens just isn't a WR1. He's simply not physical enough and doesn't attack or fight for the ball. So we can really use a true big time WR1. We don't have one now and Watkins or Evans could be it.

I definitely like your logic and deduction but I just wonder about GM and coach stubbornness. Most of the time, a coach and/or GM won't admit a mistake until it's painfully obvious. Taking a WR that high would essentially be saying that Quick was a mistake. I don't see them admitting that. I hope I'm wrong because I do think this team needs a true #1 WR and that there isn't anyone on this team that fits that.

The only other thing that your post is missing is the chance for a trade down. Snead and Fisher have made it VERY clear that they will target a guy(s) and move up or down to get them. If there isn't a player they want at the top, they will trade down. I like the aggressiveness but also know that it can bite them in the butt like the trade down which gave them Pead when they were targeting one of the LB's. That extra pick from that trade down gave them a player that isn't even on this team anymore. :slap::disappoint:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Yeah, db's first after a trade down, then depth on O line and mebbe a half back

lasvegasrams

Rookie
if we trade down that redskins pick.....LOL. I can't even count how many guys we got in that trade, but it seriously was a brilliant move. Secondary needs to be addressed first and foremost. Also, run stopppers!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

That's my early impression, as well. This draft looks kinda deep in some positions but pretty average overall.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Hasean Clinton Dix and CJ Mosley!! We can draft OL in 2nd round, plenty of good ones will be available

A55VA6

Legend
I'm pretty sure Fisher doesn't like to draft OL in the 1st round. I usually wait until after the season to look at players though.

TexasRam

Legend
I try really hard to sign Saffold. If not, there is your greatest need. Our Identity is now run the ball with the Stacy/Bam two headed monster. Maybe Barrett Jones takes over for Saffold for a year while Wells laces it up for another season.

Does anyone know if Barksdale is under contract?

Safety is also a huge need!!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think the bigger problem this year is the talent level isn't what it was the last couple years in the top 10. So trading down isn't going to get you as much as last year or with RGIII.
I think we'll end up with 2 picks in the 6-20 range so I don't know if we'll get as much value trading down. We'll see.
And I think this year we're so much closer to being a playoff team that we need to find starters if possible. Depth in the later ounds.