I just heard we signed Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both the Hayes and Barron signings are huge for the Rams. I do not mind them giving Barron Janoris' deal. -X- is right. Barron can play more than one position on the defense, and I would not be surprised if their aren't a couple of more wrinkles that Williams will dial up now that he knows Barron's skill set. Run support and pass rush from the LB position, pass rush from the safety position, and anything else he can think of that will keep Barron behind the line of scrimmage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamBill

Legend
NFL Leaders in Run/Pass Stuffs Going Into Week 17

by John Turney

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/01/nfl-leaders-in-runpass-stuffs-going.html

As Pro Football Journal has documented this season, stuffs (plays behind the line of scrimmage other than sacks) can be confusing as Stats, LLC and Elias Sports Bureau have differing criteria for that statistic (Elias calls it tackles for losses).

PFJ's Nick Websters has cleaned it up and counted plays, run or pass, that result in losses but does not include sacks. We call the run/pass stuffs.

Here are the current NFL Leaders:

2016-01-02_16-51-16.jpg

Graphic: Pro Football Journal

Mark Barron has had a remarkable year converting from safety to weakside linebacker or "will safety" as has converted safety and current "moneybacker" or "dollarbacker" Deon Bucannon. J.J. Watt is at his usual spot, near the top, as he has been since 2012. Aaron Donald also ranks high as well as fellow Defensive Player of the Year candidate Khalil Mack, who has 6.5 run stuffs and 3.5 pass stuffs.

The final week will be interesting as some All-Pro votes may take this stat into account as well as voters for the AP and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Award.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coverage skills not good. See Zack Miller.
He could improve in coverage, sure. But you wanted to know the splits behind his extremely effective play relative to stuffs.
You want him to be a Pro-Bowl caliber OLB and Safety in both the run and pass coverage for $9M a year (guarantees not yet known)?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am a huge Barron fan.... so yes, I am bias. But I don't get people saying it is too much money because he is being paid an elite wage. In my opinion, he already IS an elite OLB, so of course he is getting paid like one. Plus he only seems to be getting better. He is still young and is coming off his first full season under Greg Williams. He also can play safety at a high level, which is huge, and is a playmaker.

I thought we could get him for less. In that sense, I can't say I am thrilled. But I think the money is in a reasonable range so I'm happy to have him on board. Elite talent costs. And yes, I do feel Barron is elite. I'm much happier paying Barron 9M than Jenkins 12.5M. Barron is among the best at what he does, plus can play two positions. Jenkins? Not so much, and he gives up more TDs than almost anyone.

There is a reason Barron was drafted top 10. The man can really an play.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think the biggest issue is that he did it for only year. Teams certainly had no idea how much and in what way he was going to be used, so can he replicate those numbers or better the next few years?

Upside he is 1)young 2) hybrid player 3) seems to be on upswing downside 1)surprise factor gone 2)chance that was "career"/"contract" year blip 3)durability question (this isn't specific to him - but LB is a VERY physical position, it is going to be more wear and tear than he past experience at safety can his body handle it?)

Going to be interesting how this deal looks in 2 or 3 years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you can't compare contracts to those that signed 2 years ago. the cap is $23m larger now. compare to what other FAs are getting right now. that's the rate now.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
NFL Leaders in Run/Pass Stuffs Going Into Week 17

by John Turney

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/01/nfl-leaders-in-runpass-stuffs-going.html

As Pro Football Journal has documented this season, stuffs (plays behind the line of scrimmage other than sacks) can be confusing as Stats, LLC and Elias Sports Bureau have differing criteria for that statistic (Elias calls it tackles for losses).

PFJ's Nick Websters has cleaned it up and counted plays, run or pass, that result in losses but does not include sacks. We call the run/pass stuffs.

Here are the current NFL Leaders:

2016-01-02_16-51-16.jpg

Graphic: Pro Football Journal

Mark Barron has had a remarkable year converting from safety to weakside linebacker or "will safety" as has converted safety and current "moneybacker" or "dollarbacker" Deon Bucannon. J.J. Watt is at his usual spot, near the top, as he has been since 2012. Aaron Donald also ranks high as well as fellow Defensive Player of the Year candidate Khalil Mack, who has 6.5 run stuffs and 3.5 pass stuffs.

The final week will be interesting as some All-Pro votes may take this stat into account as well as voters for the AP and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Add in the sacks and I would be interested.

I just think he got way too much money because Ram's were in a bind because they totally blew the market value of RM & JJ, and overestimated the pull of LA to FA.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I just think he got way too much money because Ram's were in a bind because they totally blew the market value of RM & JJ, and overestimated the pull of LA to FA.
Or they valued Barron more than they valued Jenkins.
AND the importance of OLB/S in a Buddy Ryan defense > corner.

tonyl711

Starter
good teams find ways to keep their most productive players, and that is what the Rams just did. he proved last season that he can play outside at a high level and GW must think he has more to give as i am sure this signing was discussed at length with him,

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

tonyl711

Starter

JJ was not going to sign with the Rams unless they were the highest bidder, he pretty much said that last season, so i dont see how you can say they blew the market value of him.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
JJ was not going to sign with the Rams unless they were the highest bidder, he pretty much said that last season, so i dont see how you can say they blew the market value of him.

Because they offered $9m instead of $11m before 3 pm today.

tonyl711

Starter
Because they offered $9m instead of $11m before 3 pm today.
they offered him what they thought he was worth, if they wanted to match the Giants offer they could have, but they obviously did not think he was worth what the Giants offered, IMO if you refuse to pay more than you think a player is worth is good business, its when you overpay that hurts your team.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's alot of money, but we have to spend our cap dollars on someone. Seriously, we have alot left still.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
they offered him what they thought he was worth, if they wanted to match the Giants offer they could have, but they obviously did not think he was worth what the Giants offered, IMO if you refuse to pay more than you think a player is worth is good business, its when you overpay that hurts your team.

We will only know the answer in 2-3 years. You have the money and you spend it on a 30 plus DL and safety combo LB instead of top tier CB and FS? We shall see.