I just heard we signed Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
NFL Leaders in Run/Pass Stuffs Going Into Week 17

by John Turney

http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2016/01/nfl-leaders-in-runpass-stuffs-going.html

As Pro Football Journal has documented this season, stuffs (plays behind the line of scrimmage other than sacks) can be confusing as Stats, LLC and Elias Sports Bureau have differing criteria for that statistic (Elias calls it tackles for losses).

PFJ's Nick Websters has cleaned it up and counted plays, run or pass, that result in losses but does not include sacks. We call the run/pass stuffs.

Here are the current NFL Leaders:

2016-01-02_16-51-16.jpg

Graphic: Pro Football Journal

Mark Barron has had a remarkable year converting from safety to weakside linebacker or "will safety" as has converted safety and current "moneybacker" or "dollarbacker" Deon Bucannon. J.J. Watt is at his usual spot, near the top, as he has been since 2012. Aaron Donald also ranks high as well as fellow Defensive Player of the Year candidate Khalil Mack, who has 6.5 run stuffs and 3.5 pass stuffs.

The final week will be interesting as some All-Pro votes may take this stat into account as well as voters for the AP and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Award.

Wow. 2 of the top 3 on that list are on our roster. I like.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coverage skills not good. See Zack Miller.

Zach Miller is a terrible example. He had 5 catches for 107 yards and 2 TDs. His 87 yard TD came against Akeem Ayers (Barron blitzed). And his 2 yard TD came against Daren Bates.(Barron had the HB)

That leaves 3 catches for about 18 yards unaccounted for.

tonyl711

Starter
We will only know the answer in 2-3 years. You have the money and you spend it on a 30 plus DL and safety combo LB instead of top tier CB and FS? We shall see.
we already know the answer, the Rams did not think they were worth what they got paid, were they right? who knows, but i would rather they go into a deal thinking they got fair market value instead of thinking they might have overpaid.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We will only know the answer in 2-3 years. You have the money and you spend it on a 30 plus DL and safety combo LB instead of top tier CB and FS? We shall see.

If EJ plays like we know he can, it will make losing JJ a moot point. And given the staff's work at developing McLeod from a UDFA, I'm confident they can develop another starting S.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If EJ plays like we know he can, it will make losing JJ a moot point. And given the staff's work at developing McLeod from a UDFA, I'm confident they can develop another starting S.

Disagree. EJ had one decent season - there have been thousands upon thousands of guys that had one decent season. On top of that he's coming off an injury..

Barron for $9 million? A guy that was considered a bust before we traded for him? I'd rather pay a CB $17 million than a LB $9 million - if they were the same talent/production wise.

But I believe Jenkins is a better CB than Barron is a LB - so the only thing that makes sense to me is that the FO didn't like his tweets. $12 million per year was close to right for Jenkins anyway.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. EJ had one decent season - there have been thousands upon thousands of guys that had one decent season.

that makes him and jj both.

plus gaines' one decent season was the only one he played. good strike rate.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that makes him and jj both.

plus gaines' one decent season was the only one he played. good strike rate.

Whatever people thought about Jenkins, his rookie year he tied the NFL record for most defensive TDs in a season. He had some ups and downs, but he is a far superior player to EJ Gaines.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever people thought about Jenkins, his rookie year he tied the NFL record for most defensive TDs in a season. He had some ups and downs, but he is a far superior player to EJ Gaines.

but not to tru and the rams had to choose in the end. i think they chose the right guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Whatever people thought about Jenkins, his rookie year he tied the NFL record for most defensive TDs in a season.
He's scored 6 TDs on his own, and that's pretty good.
He's also given up 22 TDs in his career here, and that's pretty bad.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Another thing to consider ... this is a pretty decent draft for CB's. Lots of good ones with size to bot. I'm sure we will see a CB taken with one of our first 4 picks to go along with a fairly decent stable in what we have in Tru, Gaines, Roberson and Joyner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Have we seen how Barron's deal is structured?

It looks high, on the surface, but maybe the guarantee is lower than we think?

Usually contract numbers are provided quick. The fact we haven't seen anything tells me it could be a less than straightforward $9MM year deal.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Disagree. EJ had one decent season - there have been thousands upon thousands of guys that had one decent season. On top of that he's coming off an injury..

Barron for $9 million? A guy that was considered a bust before we traded for him? I'd rather pay a CB $17 million than a LB $9 million - if they were the same talent/production wise.

But I believe Jenkins is a better CB than Barron is a LB - so the only thing that makes sense to me is that the FO didn't like his tweets. $12 million per year was close to right for Jenkins anyway.

EJ had one decent season as a rookie ... not a guy who waited until his contract year to turn it up and play to his ability. And as a rookie, he was arguably our best CB that year. He played far more disciplined than JJ did during most of his time in horns. I'd definitely rate EJ's maturity higher than JJ's. The drop off from JJ to EJ is not a huge one, but the difference in salary is - EJ provides far more bang for the buck.

As for Barron, I don't give a rat's testicle that he didn't do anything in Tampa Bay - it's what he did with the RAMS that I care about. What he did in Tampa Bay is completely irrelevant to this debate. With the Rams, he was thrust into an entirely new role, and he was far more than merely adequate - he excelled. What would have been a huge hole when Ogletree went down last year was reduced to an annoying dent thanks to Barron's performance.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thank heavens we signed Barron and Hayes!!!!!!! Now, we can draft a CB and let EJ shine in the meantime.