I have never seen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A running game this inept in all my years as fan…dating back to 1966. Even in our bad years we had the Bus, Sjax, etc. Yes I know the OL is crap, but there are other ways to get an RB some space instead of off tackle on a poorly timed handoff. The run game has become wasaaay too predictable. Sometimes I think Sean closes down creativity because his favorite players are not available. How about a few easy leak out passes to the Rb’s a reverse every once in a while. We have had very crappy lines in the past and still had a better run game. If Sean has lost faith in Akers the management better find someone he will have faith in. Stafford absolutely has to have a running game, even if it at least allows someone else to be tackled other than him. Time to show a little creativity in the run game. I know I’m beating a dead horse but wow, the run game is grade school.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah it’s bad this year - I’m sure we could have been this bad in 2008/9 if we didn’t have SJax…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was damn near this bad in 2018 after that Bears game. And that felt terrible too because Gurley was on fumes and they wouldn't say shit about the knee. And it was pretty bad last year during that winless month. But I agree this year is a special level of shit.

Btw the reason McVay is so pissed is the protections. He cares about the run game of course but the pass game protections are what will really piss him off. And with this group of 5 there's a lot of poor pass pro ahead as in every time we see a good front.

This next month is probably gonna suck. Thankfully we have that Lombardi.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here are some team comparisons.

There are some surprises in these data sorts, for me anyway.

I didn’t realize Tampa’s running game ranks right with ours. Although Brady has been sacked only 7 times, vs Stafford's 21.

YARDS PER GAME:

21E07B24-F237-40AF-A0AA-474AF39A5DC8.png

YARDS PER CARRY:

639E3508-4F8D-4E4A-B408-302EFE31EE78.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
A running game this inept in all my years as fan…dating back to 1966. Even in our bad years we had the Bus, Sjax, etc. Yes I know the OL is crap, but there are other ways to get an RB some space instead of off tackle on a poorly timed handoff. The run game has become wasaaay too predictable. Sometimes I think Sean closes down creativity because his favorite players are not available. How about a few easy leak out passes to the Rb’s a reverse every once in a while. We have had very crappy lines in the past and still had a better run game. If Sean has lost faith in Akers the management better find someone he will have faith in. Stafford absolutely has to have a running game, even if it at least allows someone else to be tackled other than him. Time to show a little creativity in the run game. I know I’m beating a dead horse but wow, the run game is grade school.

Yeah - ok . IMO the season has just started & The Rams have there back against the wall with all the injuries.

The question then goes to how many 1,000 yard rushers has Stafford ever had in his career?

I’m at let’s wait & see. Your post shouldn’t be a ‘ I’ve never seen’ without context to it like a secret.

I’ve seen some crappy Ram RB play though over the years. Since 1966 though ? Figure there might be a little dementia running around this post though.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here are some team comparisons.

There are some surprises in these data sorts, for me anyway.

I didn’t realize Tampa’s running game ranks right with ours. Although Brady has been sacked only 7 times, vs Stafford's 21.

YARDS PER GAME:

View attachment 56944

YARDS PER CARRY:

View attachment 56946
Wow, I didn't realize the Rams run game was that colossally bad. Ouch.

We need health and help at OL and RB

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It was damn near this bad in 2018 after that Bears game. And that felt terrible too because Gurley was on fumes and they wouldn't say shit about the knee. And it was pretty bad last year during that winless month. But I agree this year is a special level of shit.
Something finished off John Sullivan toward the end of 2018 also, and wasn't Blythe dealing with something toward the end of the year? Or maybe he was just getting exposed.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't think I've ever seen pass pro as bad as the Dallas game either. Defenders were just pouring through unimpeded at the snap on a lot of plays. They didn't even seem to break their strides, and it was all across the line.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Lets be honest, this isn't our starters getting abused on the field. We're down to PS type OL on the field. What do you expect?

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our running game is abysmal. Well, pretty much the whole team is running on duct tape and bailing wire.

The Super Bowl hangover is a very real thing. Cincinnati is also down there with us in the proverbial toilet.

Our backs are against the wall. Still, in all it’s blackness—there is a glimmer of hope. Either way, we need to support our team.

I say we eat some Campbell’s Chunky Soup, and devour some Little Caesar’s Pizza! Pizza! and throw that all down with a nice frosty fermented brew. BECAUSE WE ARE FANS AND THAT’S WHAT FANS DO!

Folks…this will be Sean McVay’s finest hour

Or, it won’t be.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Statistically, 1991, 1998 and 2016 come the closest in comparison. Although this year's group might be more futile than all of them if they don't improve.

Yeah, injuries, but we still need to come up with an answer. We've all seen that gaping hole that Cam doesn't run through, right? We have no hope of being competitive that way.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've said it before. If Sean really wants a running game he's got to commit to it, in the same way, he's committed to the passing attack. His running plays reflect that lack of commitment. He wants a power run attack, well that requires a true FB not a WR. I have talked about the difference in blocking styles as to why teams that want a power inside run attack all use a FB. His experiment with Skowronek proved what I've said about playing with a FB, i.e. it doesn't shortchange the passing game if he's creative about it.

I watched Philip Rivers in his prime with Tomlinson and Neal in their 21 personnel sets and they absolutely had teams on their heels. Rivers consistently passed for big yardage out of that base set. In kept other teams in their base defense.

The Ram RBs all can catch. Roger Carter is a true FB and also proved in college he's got decent hands. They have him designated as a TE so he must have shown enough to remain at that position. Just simply swap out Skowronek for Carter for god sake. Otherwise, he's limited to inside or outside zone concepts. Then it's a matter of execution and having the OL to make those second-level blocks.

Akers isn't seeing the field properly so yeah it's time to bench him until he shows in practice he can see the holes. The Rams right now are better off with Henderson, Brown, and Williams. The design and personnel usage is largely to blame in the run game. McVay may be a genius in the passing game but very ordinary in his run attack play design.

If he is not going to change his personnel usage then he needs a big strong RB. Brown is probably the biggest RB they have. Time to start him to try to not get behind the chains on first down. Enough of these small RBs if he isn't going to put them behind a true FB. The easiest way to protect the QB is to run the damn ball like you mean it not as an afterthought.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
June Henley has entered the chat....

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
We actually drafted a good back this year, but, he gets injured everytime he steps on the field for some reason. He's supposedly great at pass pro and was super productive in college. Would like to actually see him carry the ball once or twice.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lets be honest, this isn't our starters getting abused on the field. We're down to PS type OL on the field. What do you expect?
We are not the only team with OL injuries. Yet we are dead last in the run game

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We are not the only team with OL injuries. Yet we are dead last in the run game
It’s certainly more than one thing … like OL injuries. However, the injuries to the Rams’ interior O-Line are not comparable to any other team.

The Rams have lost all three interior OL starters and the projected top two interior OL reserves. That’s their Top-5 interior Offensive Linemen.

Can you name one team that has lost even 3 of their top-5 interior OL?

I can’t.

A big deal was made when Tampa lost its starting center (Jensen) and then its starting LG (Stinnie). However, the Bucs still have their top back-up center and #3 guard to start.

The Rams have been without their back-up center, their #3 guard and their #4 guard.

It’s not just the quantity of injuries. It’s the quantity of injuries at one or two positions (OL and CB).

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wilkes taking over and knowing we have an OL that has sucked ass with comms and ability to handle rushers is a bad deal. He's going to bring the heat without having to worry about the head coach asking him to call off the dogs and he's got some good matchups on top of that.

Hope the Rams find a way to get this dub so they can build some confidence. They need it badly because there's some nasty matchups ahead.