I don't know guys..... I'm not too impressed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It hasn't been great but I'll wait and see. I'm hoping they have something planned because we have a lot of holes right now.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I know it's only the first day of free agency but we didn't do crap but get weaker! We still have no qb lost long laurintis, Jenkins,Mcloud yea we resigned a couple of our guys(something that should have been done a long time ago) but now we got more holes than we can fill. We are gonna be worse than we were last year and you can forget about trading up for a QB were gonna have to trade down just to attempt to fI'll all the damn holes. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think this off-season is an epic fail and will more than likely cost some people there jobs.

I feel what you're writing my brother, I do. Were those players worth the cost? If we paid the asking price would we suffer in other area's?

Seahawk went through this when their young talent came of age. Big difference is they grabbed a ring along the way. What worries me about Fisher is he seems to always be rebuilding his rebuild.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are really going to miss Jenkins

Which Jenkins?

The 2015 contract season Jenkins, sure. He was very good. The prior years JJ, where he would play great, then make bone headed gambles that cost a TD? Not so much.

Now, which Jenkins will the Giants get for the next 5 seasons, at a very high salary? I'm guessing it's closer to 2014 JJ than 2015 JJ on average. It's entirely possible that the Giants will end up wishing that JJ was playing at 2014 levels. Frankly, that's the way I would bet, if such a wager existed and was accurately measurable. I guess what I'm saying is that the Giants are likely to regret this contract, and I'm guessing fairly rapidly. Not necessarily that it's insanely stupid of them, but that it will bind their hands for other signings, while not getting the production they actually hoped for, and not enough production to help them become a good team.

…..

Legend
We're going to miss Long and JL in the locker room.

I may be in the minority but I dont think the losses of Jenkins and McCloud will hurt that much. They are much more easily replaced than the above two.

Be patient and hope for the best. I always thought we were going to be in the mid range market anyway, despite the cap room to make a flashy FA pickup. In this years market, I like the current approach.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
We're going to miss Long and JL in the locker room.

I may be in the minority but I dont think the losses of Jenkins and McCloud will hurt that much. They are much more easily replaced than the above two.

Be patient and hope for the best. I always thought we were going to be in the mid range market anyway, despite the cap room to make a flashy FA pickup. In this years market, I like the current approach.

I think you're really overvaluing locker room guys over on field contribution. Jenkins and McLeod were very good players in terms of production and JL and CL haven't been producing for awhile.

I get the importance of "veteran leadership", but saying it's easier to replace two young stud players than it is to replace two guys at the ends of their careers doesn't make sense to me.

…..

Legend
I think you're really overvaluing locker room guys over on field contribution. Jenkins and McLeod were very good players in terms of production and JL and CL haven't been producing for awhile.

I get the importance of "veteran leadership", but saying it's easier to replace two young stud players than it is to replace two guys at the ends of their careers doesn't make sense to me.

Fair comments but I was not as impressed with the play of Jenkins and McLoud as some people were and I think thier replacements are already on the roster. The gap in abilities between them and the next men up is not that big. my opinion of course.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Its good that they were able to retain some important players but they still havent improved and they have more holes than before

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm scared. fisher likes to stock pile on defense, and I see him doing just that this draft. I wish I had beer right now.
1st want to keep the one area the Team is strong at STRONG!! And that's our "D"!!
As has been said this is just the 1st day of the "NEW Season" so Relax!! We have only just begun!!:D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Its good that they were able to retain some important players but they still havent improved and they have more holes than before

They might be better defensively simply by upgrading to TJ and Mo down the middle. Both of those guys are effin huge, and fast, and as solid as McLeod was those two have higher ceilings.

Same deal with CB. Paying Jenks might have been a big mistake, not gonna know just yet but Gaines is much more disciplined and as I mentioned before he was our best corner in 2014. I don't know if he'll be back to what he was but Tru, Gaines, and Joyner might be an improvement this year.

And LB... Having Alec all season long is going to be huge. Our defense was completely different early in the season when healthy.

This defense is fast, fast, fast. Key is Alec staying healthy inside, but hey, they might also add a ILB somewhere in this draft.

They really don't have any more holes than they had. IMO they just used their depth and kept who they should have. The real problem is they should have added an offensive piece, but hey there's still time.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
They might be better defensively simply by upgrading to TJ and Mo down the middle. Both of those guys are effin huge, and fast, and as solid as McLeod was those two have higher ceilings.

Same deal with CB. Paying Jenks might have been a big mistake, not gonna know just yet but Gaines is much more disciplined and as I mentioned before he was our best corner in 2014. I don't know if he'll be back to what he was but Tru, Gaines, and Joyner might be an improvement this year.

And LB... Having Alec all season long is going to be huge. Our defense was completely different early in the season when healthy.

This defense is fast, fast, fast. Key is Alec staying healthy inside, but hey, they might also add a ILB somewhere in this draft.

They really don't have any more holes than they had. IMO they just used their depth and kept who they should have. The real problem is they should have added an offensive piece, but hey there's still time.
Alexander is not and never will be a free safety, he wasnt even very good filling in at strong safety. Free safety is a hole now, tight end is a hole now, corner back is a hole now, defensive end is a hole, and there have not been any upgrades brought in.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
We are really going to miss Jenkins

No. No they won't.

I don't think this team has the luxury of over paying on day one of free agency. There are holes to fill on offense, so no sense in throwing a ton of money at the secondary considering it is still an area of strength. Tons of cap space left, and I am hoping they have a trade or signing up their sleeve still. If not, then load up on offense in the draft. As @-X- mentioned, there is no sense in trying to "win" the first day of FA. Good teams don't over spend like that. The Broncos were literally a few key pieces away, so it made sense for them. They had their QB. The Rams are not yet in that position.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Which Jenkins?

The 2015 contract season Jenkins, sure. He was very good. The prior years JJ, where he would play great, then make bone headed gambles that cost a TD? Not so much.

Giants are going to regret Oliver Vernon first.

2014 Jenkins was better than 2012 and 2013 Jenkins.

We don't miss 2011 or 2012 Robert Quinn. He's much better now. Young players make mistakes, you have to allow for that. They improve because they increasingly recognize what other teams throw at them. .

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know it's only the first day of free agency but we didn't do crap but get weaker! We still have no qb lost long laurintis, Jenkins,Mcloud yea we resigned a couple of our guys(something that should have been done a long time ago) but now we got more holes than we can fill. We are gonna be worse than we were last year and you can forget about trading up for a QB were gonna have to trade down just to attempt to fI'll all the damn holes. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think this off-season is an epic fail and will more than likely cost some people there jobs.

This regime has been following a plan all along. I believe that everything they did was as planned. Maybe the one thing that they would have liked to do was resign Jenkins but he made it impossible. They have to follow a personnel plan, as well as a financial one with cap considerations in mind. When they signed Chris Long and JL to their last contracts it was obvious that those contracts were designed so that they could easily get out from under them in three years. The cap money was all up front in the first 2-3 years. Then predictably they were able to save by cutting them instead of having dead money. I think they are pretty good with cap management........unlike Zygmunt who backloaded everyones contract and then had the team strapped with expensive vets on the decline and no real money to upgrade.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Giants are going to regret Oliver Vernon first.

2014 Jenkins was better than 2012 and 2013 Jenkins.

We don't miss 2011 or 2012 Robert Quinn. He's much better now. Young players make mistakes, you have to allow for that. They improve because they increasingly recognize what other teams throw at them. .

I haven't trusted JJ from the start. The fact that he finally listened to the coaches in his contract year and played like he was supposed to just seemed like he decided he better play disciplined so he can get a big contract. I will make an assumption here. He seems a bit lacksadaisical/lazy/undisciplined in his every day life. From day 1 coaches tell kids that the way you practice is the way you play and that goes back to the way you are in your personal life as well. The little bit we see of JJ on twitter suggest that he is into being very laid back and partying, not a schedule guy, goes with the flow, etc. None of it makes me think he truly just started to learn the system........more so he just decided it was time to behave.

Besides that JJ has always struggled with tougher receivers. I'm tired of him being beat by the Boldens and Steve Smiths of the league. It sounds like in New York he will be able to free lance a little bit more, from what I have read. Maybe it will suit him better, but all that money in a city like New York with so much to do, is not likely to make him more disciplined. I think Spags will be disappointed with the cost in two years. But, we'll see.

ausmurp

Starter
Not too shook up, honestly. Jenkins draws more fire on this board than just about any player rostered in the last 10 years, but now he's irreplaceable?

I'd liked to have seen him back simply as an insurance policy while we wait on Gaines, but he's not a $12 million player. Plain and simple. Same could be said for McLeod. $7 mil for a guy who doesn't force a lot of turnovers at a position where you're supposed to be a ball hawk.

I would have loved to see them go after Marvin Jones, Randle is still out there but I don't care for him as much. The offensive line looks set, it will be a stength. There just wasn't a lot that this team needed going into FA. I thought they might try and make a splash at DE, they resigned Hayes, but maybe they pair him up with another guy and have them split time?

How is the OL set and why does this seem to be the consensus opinion? We have THE WORST starting center in the league,ranked 32/40 centers that played last yr on pro football focus, and the tape proves it. His pass blocking is terrible. And guess what, same goes for GRobUST. So why do you think our OL is set? Not to mention Saffold is injured all the time. Why didn't the team sign Brandon Brooks, Kalichi Osemele, or another very good OG, then cut Saffold?? That would be a very smart move. That is fact not opinion.

ausmurp

Starter
Our OL is not set. We have terrible C,terrible LT. And Saffold will not play more than 8 games. So that's 3 weak spots on the OL. We should've signed at least a OG then cut Saffold, to shore up that spot. Jermon Bushrod is available, and he's a much better option at LT than GRobUST. Hope we at least go after him.

If we would've just made 2 moves the raiders made I'd be happy. Sean Smith 4 yrs $40M was a steal. He was way better than Jenkins, #1 CB from pff last yr after week 3. and Kalichi Osemele. Elite OG.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No. No they won't.

I don't think this team has the luxury of over paying on day one of free agency. There are holes to fill on offense, so no sense in throwing a ton of money at the secondary considering it is still an area of strength. Tons of cap space left, and I am hoping they have a trade or signing up their sleeve still. If not, then load up on offense in the draft. As @-X- mentioned, there is no sense in trying to "win" the first day of FA. Good teams don't over spend like that. The Broncos were literally a few key pieces away, so it made sense for them. They had their QB. The Rams are not yet in that position.

They will sign some hole fillers and backup types probably. Same pattern every year. Get the meat and potatoes taken care of day 1 in this case (Barron/Hayes/Barnes) then maybe try to find a TE or WR on the cheap for depth and competition that can play if nothing better comes along.

In the draft, they need to go BPA in round 1. But that doesn't mean it will be a defensive player.......but does seem likely. I would love them to land Doctson, but there may be a DL/DE/CB/QB there too. Lots of plans. Second and third rounds would be ripe for Center/CB/DT. Good depth at those positions. Maybe a trade up into top of round 2 with extra second rounder for a QB. There are still many many options there.

One thing I always consider with the Rams and all of their picks, but especially first rounders is that they love the best athletes they can find. They don't take guys that lack wow type athleticism in round 1, or any round really. But round 1 is usually a very athletic player.