I don't know guys..... I'm not too impressed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I know it's only the first day of free agency but we didn't do shit but get weaker! We still have no qb lost long laurintis, Jenkins,Mcloud yea we resigned a couple of our guys(something that should have been done a long time ago) but now we got more holes than we can fill. We are gonna be worse than we were last year and you can forget about trading up for a QB were gonna have to trade down just to attempt to fI'll all the damn holes. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think this off-season is an epic fail and will more than likely cost some people there jobs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I look at it two ways.

1. In 2011, we signed everybody. EVERYBODY. What did that get us other than a roster that needed to be destroyed?
2. Would any of us be banging the table for guys like Long, Laurinaitis, McLeod or Jenkins if they were free agents from other teams (and at the price they're seeking)?

We replaced Long with Hayes at a fraction (same production)
We replaced Laurinaitis with Ogletree, and everyone agrees that's the right move
We replaced Jenkins with (probably) Gaines and kept Johnson
We can develop corners and safeties like nobody's business, so losses back there aren't the end of the world.
We have no idea what their strategy is for the rest of FA or the draft, so all of this can still come together.

fancents86

Starter
I'm scared. fisher likes to stock pile on defense, and I see him doing just that this draft. I wish I had beer right now.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I know it's only the first day of free agency but we didn't do crap but get weaker! We still have no qb lost long laurintis, Jenkins,Mcloud yea we resigned a couple of our guys(something that should have been done a long time ago) but now we got more holes than we can fill. We are gonna be worse than we were last year and you can forget about trading up for a QB were gonna have to trade down just to attempt to fI'll all the damn holes. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think this off-season is an epic fail and will more than likely cost some people there jobs.
This didn't cost anybody their jobs , I'm sure they had this scenario figured out weeks ago

The Rams still have a ton of cash to play with

tahoe

Pro Bowler
So far they haven't done anythinh to improve the team but its just the first couple of hours of free agancy. That said I want some outside free agents signed!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Guys on day 1 always cost too much, and now idiots are overpaying guys. We have to think of future cap also, we have some big name guys coming up, and nobody wants to re-sign early anymore, because the cap keeps changing. This part of the job is really hard. Look what the Broncos lost today. What did the Packers do? What did the Patriots do? Did the Cards, or Hawks or 49'ers make big splashes? The Dolphins do it every damn year, and they never really change.

Our guys need to buy in, and work together, but everybody is selfish, and wants to get paid. What are you gonna do...

ausmurp

Starter
The 2011 thing is stale. In 2014 the broncoes loaded up in FA, and they won SB next yr. Come on...

It's about identifying players that will succeed just like the draft. LG Brandon Brooks was very good. Osemele was good. Anquan Bolden is better than any WR we have. Why aren't we going after these guys? They're legit and proven. And don't even get me started on Mercedes Lewis, wtf. Thank God we didn't get him why were we even going after him? Jeez. It's looking bad to me too.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Last year, we were worried about our o-line going into the draft, yet we answered that with drafting solid starters in Brown and Havenstein along with adding depth. I'm sure (hope) we'll due the diligence in patching up the secondary.

ausmurp

Starter
If we store up the secondary, our offense suffers again. Hope not. Besides, I believe gains will be as good as than Jenkins, and Joyner will be better than Mccleod.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm trusting Snisher on this one. I agree we look weaker. But there is a long way to go.

Also you have to consider the fan bias we have in overeating some of our own guys. When I look and see "omg we've lost Chris Long" I'm thinking of the number 2 overall, 12 sack a season Chris Long - when his recent health and form have been a 2 or 3 sack a season guy - and I think that goes along with a couple of the other guys like McLeod and Jenks.

Give it time. See how our coaches have been developing guys. We might have a mixed record on this (we develop CBs well - WR's - not so much - hence Sherman getting fired).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we store up the secondary, our offense suffers again. Hope not. Besides, I believe gains will be as good as than Jenkins, and Joyner will be better than Mccleod.
You may have answered your own conundrum. We may only need to pick up one DB and that would leave us open to possibly move up to grab the best WR in the draft while still getting maybe a very good TE and LB.

As to the OP - I think most of us would have wanted to be blown away during FA. Not sure there was really anything short of WAY overpaying that would have made a huge impact on our team. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Not too shook up, honestly. Jenkins draws more fire on this board than just about any player rostered in the last 10 years, but now he's irreplaceable?

I'd liked to have seen him back simply as an insurance policy while we wait on Gaines, but he's not a $12 million player. Plain and simple. Same could be said for McLeod. $7 mil for a guy who doesn't force a lot of turnovers at a position where you're supposed to be a ball hawk.

I would have loved to see them go after Marvin Jones, Randle is still out there but I don't care for him as much. The offensive line looks set, it will be a stength. There just wasn't a lot that this team needed going into FA. I thought they might try and make a splash at DE, they resigned Hayes, but maybe they pair him up with another guy and have them split time?

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I look at it two ways.

1. In 2011, we signed everybody. EVERYBODY. What did that get us other than a roster that needed to be destroyed?
2. Would any of us be banging the table for guys like Long, Laurinaitis, McLeod or Jenkins if they were free agents from other teams (and at the price they're seeking)?

We replaced Long with Hayes at a fraction (same production)
We replaced Laurinaitis with Ogletree, and everyone agrees that's the right move
We replaced Jenkins with (probably) Gaines and kept Johnson
We can develop corners and safeties like nobody's business, so losses back there aren't the end of the world.
We have no idea what their strategy is for the rest of FA or the draft, so all of this can still come together.

Thanks X. This helps. I was feeling kind of the same as the TS but you're probably right.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm fairly happy. Not a perfect day, but I think they prioritized correctly.

It's clear now that they put signing Barron and Hayes over JJ and McLeod, and I'm fine with that. With EJ on the roster, losing JJ didn't leave a big hole, it mainly affected our depth.

Losing McLeod was a little tougher, but I do think we have potential replacements on the roster now. Given the job our staff did in developing McLeod (as well as other DB's), they more than get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recognizing talent and developing a replacement. So yeah, he leaves a hole, but one we can probably fill.

Had we lost either Barron or Hayes, we would have much bigger holes to fill. The Rams are not very deep at LB at the moment to begin with, and losing Barron would have made that position group perilously thin. Instead, we are keeping a guy who has played exceptionally well for us in the last two seasons and seems to have found his niche, thanks to our coaching staff. Hayes in the last two years has been far more effective than Long was, and even on the new deal comes at a far better price tag. I don't think any of the other potential replacement on the roster is anywhere near ready, so losing him probably would have left another big hole. Instead, that position is filled and we have time to draft/develop another LDE.

No, they didn't make and big splash or any real sexy signings, but those never seem to work out for us (or for most teams, for that matter). I remember how excited people were when they signed Jared Cook and Jake Long prior to the 2013 season. Cook never panned out due to his own lack of effort, and Long was wrecked by injuries. And as X mentioned above, we signed a shinola-load of players before the 2011 season, and that one turned into an abject disaster. So no need to get down about not making a big splash, the Rams did good today by not letting any huge holes be created in their roster while keeping a couple of very valuable contributors. I'm satisfied with that.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
How do you think Seahawks fans felt when they heard Bruce Irvin signed somewhere else?

Or Broncos fans with Brock?

It happens to every team. You can't keep all of them.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I'm going to miss Rodney. Hard to replace good safeties. Seems like there are so few in this league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am very happy with day one.

First, we knew we wouldn't get both CBs to return. Rams kept one with the tag, and all they need at CB is depth.

Safety was completely predictable. Rams have two big, young safeties in the pipeline to start. All they need after letting McLeod go is depth.

LB the key was Barron. Not only does he fill them with impact performance at WILL, but he can also sub in any down/package and can do coverage if necessary better than most LBs.

DE the need was to get Hayes back. They pulled it off.

DT still could use a rotation run stuffer, but it's not exactly critical and this draft is deep at the position.

Not sure how anyone can be disappointed, given how insane the contracts being thrown around were. Rams kept every single guy on defense that I wanted them to keep, so man I am immensely relieved, particularly after a start that had me thinking they might all walk.

Also, note that with most of these contracts they're not gonna see all the years, and I'm sure Demoff structured them so they can be cut at the 3 year point.

From here, IMO they absolutely need to scour the offensive pass receiving targets and bring in at least one, preferably two. Improve this corps and the competition ffs.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
So far they haven't done anythinh to improve the team but its just the first couple of hours of free agancy. That said I want some outside free agents signed!

(Cue Judge Shmailes) "You'll get nothing, and like it Spalding!"