I absolutely hate what the NFL has become

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
That hit Trumaine Johnson had was not dirty. It was hard. The product the NFL has put on the field has declined steadily in the last 10 years. I hate what it's becoming so much.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
At some point they should change it flag football. You know, player safety and all that.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Football is a dangerous sport. It should be made very clear to anybody who plays it. Hard physical plays are a part of football. It's absolutely stupid. That and all the QB protections.

Athos

Legend
It's meh this season.

On the one hand, protecting players has to be done, especially getting rid of all that shit where guys are leading with the crown of the helmet.

But I think a former player now announcer, either college for NFL, once remarked that trying to change the way players tackle or hit, actually results in a greater chance of injury to make sure you aren't incurring massive fines/penalties.

Clearly defining tackles needs to be done and if you do that, and as long as the hits aren't late or targeted, we'll be fine.

Doubt it happens under Goodhell though.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
And you know all we are going to hear is how dirty we are. Seafag fans are going to tally up all the wittle hits we gave them. I can't even enjoy winning because they won't give us any credit at all.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
A major movie just came out, the nfl is under serious pressure. There was clear helmet to helmet contact. ..it is going to get called-both ways, this isn't refs picking on rams

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Hope the D got enough rest, looks like they need to score again.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I may have a heart attack. Three energy drinks in 3.5 hours and this game. So if you don't hear from me later, you know what happened. :LOL:...(y)

FRO

Legend
A major movie just came out, the nfl is under serious pressure. There was clear helmet to helmet contact. ..it is going to get called-both ways, this isn't refs picking on rams
I understand your point, but it's a bang bang play. What's the defender supposed to do in that situation? The receiver ducked his head. Hard hits are a part of the game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If that was someone from Seattle or GB, say like Clay Matthews, no penalty.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I understand your point, but it's a bang bang play. What's the defender supposed to do in that situation? The receiver ducked his head. Hard hits are a part of the game.

The trouble is that the defender lowered his, doesn't matter what receiver/runner does - the call is if the crown of the defenders helmet hits any part of the receivers helmet, it doesn't need to be crown to crown, just crown to anything. We may not like it but guys can no longer turn into missiles (and it has been that way fora while), even if you are going fora big shoulder hit, once you lower the helmet you are risking the call. The moment you lower your head you take the chance that the crown of you helmet will make contact with their helmet which will lead to a call. If you keep your head up that can't happen, yes you probably won't hit as hard, but there can't be a call.

I used to love to watch London Fletcher, man knows how to tackle. Honestly he could put on a clinic of how to tackle cleanly and hard.

Debacled

Starter
The trouble is that the defender lowered his, doesn't matter what receiver/runner does - the call is if the crown of the defenders helmet hits any part of the receivers helmet, it doesn't need to be crown to crown, just crown to anything. We may not like it but guys can no longer turn into missiles (and it has been that way fora while), even if you are going fora big shoulder hit, once you lower the helmet you are risking the call. The moment you lower your head you take the chance that the crown of you helmet will make contact with their helmet which will lead to a call. If you keep your head up that can't happen, yes you probably won't hit as hard, but there can't be a call.

I used to love to watch London Fletcher, man knows how to tackle. Honestly he could put on a clinic of how to tackle cleanly and hard.
It doesn't need to be crown at all. Facemask to any part of another helmet is still a penalty, or just higher up on the pads for that matter.

This play was a gray area call. Yeah it was head to head, but how to Tru supposed to tackle the guy in that spot? He can't, not in a way that would have forced an incompletion like he did. Bottom line is though there was helmet to helmet contact, and to avoid catch/not catch type controversy they gotta apply the rules across the board. Crap call, but it has to be called.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It doesn't need to be crown at all. Facemask to any part of another helmet is still a penalty, or just higher up on the pads for that matter.

This play was a gray area call. Yeah it was head to head, but how to Tru supposed to tackle the guy in that spot? He can't, not in a way that would have forced an incompletion like he did. Bottom line is though there was helmet to helmet contact, and to avoid catch/not catch type controversy they gotta apply the rules across the board. Crap call, but it has to be called.

Not sure if this was the rule invoked on the play, but there is a rule clearly focused on leading with the crown of helmet. The fact is the defender can still tackle/push etc, there is no need to duck his head and launch except to hit extra hard, but then they risk the call....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-crownofhelmet-change-to-help-runner-defender
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/20/sports/la-sp-nfl-meetings-20130321
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000152145/Crown-of-the-helmet-hit-rule-explained

on a side note, the last one has JF presenting on the rule.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That hit Trumaine Johnson had was not dirty. It was hard. The product the NFL has put on the field has declined steadily in the last 10 years. I hate what it's becoming so much.

Like X 1,000,000..!!!

I'm tired of the "we gotta get every call right" replay mentality too. This game is so slow now, with so many interruptions, that it's getting painful to watch. Put the power back in the refs' hands. Give the coaches ONE challenge per game. If they use it early and get jobbed at the end it's on them. Oh and eradicate the idiocy of review every single scoring play, stop the madness ffs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's meh this season.

On the one hand, protecting players has to be done, especially getting rid of all that crap where guys are leading with the crown of the helmet.

But I think a former player now announcer, either college for NFL, once remarked that trying to change the way players tackle or hit, actually results in a greater chance of injury to make sure you aren't incurring massive fines/penalties.

Clearly defining tackles needs to be done and if you do that, and as long as the hits aren't late or targeted, we'll be fine.

Doubt it happens under Goodhell though.
\

There is a serious SERIOUS lack of consistency in what gets called and I think it's the big driver when it comes to bad calls. Different guys think different things about hits/tackles.

There needs to be clear rules and instructions IMO.

FRO

Legend
\

There is a serious SERIOUS lack of consistency in what gets called and I think it's the big driver when it comes to bad calls. Different guys think different things about hits/tackles.

There needs to be clear rules and instructions IMO.
There need to be less rules. Rule book is way too thick and unnecessary.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm sorry but the players need to learn how to tackle instead of just slamming into others players. The Rams miss too many tackles trying for the knock out hits and that keeps them from being a great defense.