Hue Jackson Told Gregg Williams to Stop Calling Browns Players 'Stupid' to Media

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...o-stop-calling-browns-players-stupid-to-media

Hue Jackson Told Gregg Williams to Stop Calling Browns Players 'Stupid' to Media
SCOTT POLACEKAUGUST 27, 2018

hi-res-91d0d7eea7dbe321f5c0c5b22c61fba0_crop_north.jpg

Ron Schwane/Associated Press
Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson was not pleased defensive coordinator Gregg Williams blamed cornerback Denzel Ward's injury on the "stupid" way the rookie tackles.

"Gregg does not get to do just what he wants to do. We will work through all of that. ... We do not need to do all of that stuff in the media," Jackson said, per Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk.

The comments from the head coach come after Williams pointed to Ward's tackling form as the reason he suffered back spasms during a preseason contest against the Philadelphia Eagles, per Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

"I was glad to hear [it wasn't serious], and maybe he'll finally listen to me and stop doing those stupid things the way he's trying to tackle and tackle the way I tell him to tackle and he won't get hurt," Williams said of the play.

Ward suffered the injury while attempting to tackle Eagles tight end Zach Ertz and missed the remainder of the contest after remaining on the ground in pain before heading to the locker room. Cabot noted an MRI revealed no structural damage, which was a relief for a rebuilding Browns team that used the No. 4 overall pick of the 2018 draft on the Ohio State product.

Smith pointed out HBO's Hard Knocks also captured some tension between Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. The two had "a tense exchange" after Haley wasn't happy with Jackson's decision to rest some players during parts of training camp.

Jackson is a mere 1-31 in two seasons at the helm for the Browns, and Williams was the defensive coordinator last year during an 0-16 effort.

The defensive coordinator—who was previously suspended when he held the same position on the New Orleans Saints for his role in the Bountygate scandal that paid players for injuring opponents—has been rather outspoken during episodes of Hard Knocks as well.

While the yelling and cursing is one thing, Jackson clearly took umbrage with Williams' decision to call out a player through the media after Ward suffered an injury.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
What a misleading article.

The original story at Cleveland.com paints a different picture. Basically, Williams was concerned that Ward was not protecting himself in the way he tried to tackle players who were 50 or 100 pounds heavier than him. Believe it or not, Williams was trying hard to PREVENT injury.

So Ward uses bad tackling form and then suffers an unnecessary injury, and Williams gets frustrated about it and sounds off to the media. So which is worse: a player putting himself unnecessarily at risk, or his coach getting frustrated and (accurately) calling him stupid?

Yeah, it was a mistake for Williams to say this in public, but all in all I’m on his side on this one. Has to be frustrating when you see a player get injured because he’s not listening to good coaching.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/denzel_ward_gregg_williams_stu.html

Edit: climbing down off my high horse on this one. Not so sure anymore Williams was right... maybe he was being his usual loudmouth arrogant-ass self. Kinda depends on how often Ward uses bad form against bigger players.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Well if you watch Hard Knocks... Cleveland or the LA version.. or have followed Williams career.

He has always been a raging bitch. That being said I think he obviously has some talent to be still coaching in the NFL, so he can't be all bad.

But yeah his "style" is certainly not what I'd exactly call smooth.

I like Hugh, but hey... 1-31 is some pretty bad scoreboard.

HellRam

Starter
I actually like Greg Williams. He was one of the few who made watching Fisherball some what entertaining, or atleast watchable I should say. The Rams had a pretty good defense under Williams, would have been even better with a competent offense to go along with it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually like Greg Williams. He was one of the few who made watching Fisherball some what entertaining, or atleast watchable I should say. The Rams had a pretty good defense under Williams, would have been even better with a competent offense to go along with it.

Me too. Dude has an old school style that still is effective. He's not an elite DC, but if you get him the right players he can get 'er done.

I've lost a ton of respect for Hue Jackson through this year of Hard Knocks. IMO he's an effin pu$$y and enabler of the losing BS that still plagues that team.

TexasRam

Legend
Me too. Dude has an old school style that still is effective. He's not an elite DC, but if you get him the right players he can get 'er done.

I've lost a ton of respect for Hue Jackson through this year of Hard Knocks. IMO he's an effin pu$$y and enabler of the losing BS that still plagues that team.

wow, what makes you think that. didn’t watch hard knocks so not familiar with Jackson’s work or lack thereof.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm sorry, i can't agree. every time the rams put points on the board the d leaked like a sieve. when the rams offense was blundering around the opposition sort of played down to their level.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A leopard can’t change his spots, dude is still out of control.
Disagree. He's one of the top DC's in the league and gets results. Probably not a good idea for GW to criticize via the media, but to be honest, i see nothing wrong with calling out a players technique as stupid.

The sensitivity of modern American society is laughable to me...but that's not a discussion to be had here.

HellRam

Starter

Agree on both takes. When Hugh was in Oakland I thought he did a decent job there. Definitely not the coach I thought he was.

i'm sorry, i can't agree. every time the rams put points on the board the d leaked like a sieve. when the rams offense was blundering around the opposition sort of played down to their level.

I'm not saying Williams was the best thing to ever happen for the Rams, he had his flaws. But overall, the Rams won far more games with defense then they did offense, under Fisher/Williams. The game we shut down Peyton and the Broncos, I'll never forget that one.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Browns should have cleaned house with that coaching staff long ago. Hue is basically a ring leader of a clown show. I can't even watch this year's Hard Knocks anymore because of him.

Todd59

Rookie
Seems to me that he's not calling the Ward stupid, but calling that way of tackling stupid. Too be fair, trying to wrap up on Ertz seems to be a much tougher tackle that just cutting him, so he's not wrong. And no matter what you think of Gregg Williams as a person, the dude can coordinate a defense.

The Ramowl

Starter
I am enjoying the Hard Knocks season a lot. That said, Hue Jackson doesn't inspire anything, he is not a leader.

And seriously, if you are 1-31 in 2 seasons, there is no way it's just the players. I think the Browns have an interesting roster, but as long as Jackson is in command, I doubt they'll amount to anything.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Gregg Williams is an A hole but it has worked for him for a long time .

High Jackson is the 3rd best head coach on his staff, this team has talent but I dont think Hugh Jackson can lead

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

He had so many holes and issues with this roster it's hard for me to make their struggles all about him. As I said he's not elite, but he's damn good with the right players as we saw with the Saints' super bowl run not to mention some other defenses in the past that he's squeezed the most from.

The Browns should have cleaned house with that coaching staff long ago. Hue is basically a ring leader of a clown show. I can't even watch this year's Hard Knocks anymore because of him.

Apparently the only ones he's willing to hold accountable are his staff members for making him answer tough questions with the media. Dude is a huge disappointment as a HC, I really expected more of him when he was initially hired. IMO he'll be back where he belongs soon, at OC, and hopefully if he gets another shot the accountability side will be something he enforces.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think most of you guys covered it.

The “story” here is the lack of media’s ability to identify the story. Football is one of those areas political correctness is having a hard time coming to terms with: the demand for speech-code sensitivity and the popularity of a sport that can not afford to coddle snow-flakes.

Ironically, the criticized player is probably taking the criticism to heart, in the healthy way intended. It is for his safety. Williams could have exercised discretion in public, no doubt. But strangely, his outburst comes across much more refreshing than the moral preening of the media.

And Hue has decided to sign up with one of those camps.

I wonder what his 1-31 record would be if he fought for his career like Greg Williams?

Ah, but take heart my friends, he is certain to be praised on his way out the door.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has always been a raging bitch. That being said I think he obviously has some talent to be still coaching in the NFL, so he can't be all bad.
He's a one trick pony who can't adjust and the NFL is all about adjusting now-a-days.

Players see right through that crap...they make tons more than he'll ever make and are motivated by being respected, not belittled.

I dunno... talent? If yelling and creaming at the top of your lungs, while trotting out under-preforming defenses is talent, I'll try someone else (like Phillips, who actually teaches and is respectful of his players).

He's not an elite DC, but if you get him the right players he can get 'er done.
Can't that be said for most any Coordinator?