How you like the Matt Ryan comparisons now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman, Coleman...

I could play QB for the Falcons and at least score a TD. Freeman and Coleman are one of the best RB duos in the NFL. And Julio Jones... There's elite, then there's Julio.

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The point was not that Ryan is a mediocre QB. The point was Ryan's 2015 stats and QB rating was mediocre or average by any standards. But then how much an improved cast (and offseason work) could improve in one year.

Same as Carr. A few years in the system and an improved oline. Then his come from behind performances skyrocket.

A QB and a system are not going to get it done. A supporting cast is needed and it a good chunk of it can be found in free agency, then supplemented in the draft.

The supporting cast of the Falcons is ridiculous.

And go back and watch Ryans game vs Seattle. Ryan threw 5 (that I counted) horribly inaccurate throws. One almost a game changing pick. But they prevailed because he got a little time, moved
Around in the pocket well, and got the balm in the hands of his playmakers who 1 caught the dam ball 2 made big plays.

FRO

Legend
The point was not that Ryan is a mediocre QB. The point was Ryan's 2015 stats and QB rating was mediocre or average by any standards. But then how much an improved cast (and offseason work) could improve in one year.

Same as Carr. A few years in the system and an improved oline. Then his come from behind performances skyrocket.

A QB and a system are not going to get it done. A supporting cast is needed and it a good chunk of it can be found in free agency, then supplemented in the draft.

The supporting cast of the Falcons is ridiculous.

And go back and watch Ryans game vs Seattle. Ryan threw 5 (that I counted) horribly inaccurate throws. One almost a game changing pick. But they prevailed because he got a little time, moved
Around in the pocket well, and got the balm in the hands of his playmakers who 1 caught the dam ball 2 made big plays.
To your overall point, I agree. Coaching and supporting cast make a world of difference. Some QBs are lucky and get blessed with both. Then you have the Rams who have had 2 super talented QBs only to surround them with poor coaching and bad talent. Hopefully they got the coaching fixed. They'll have to be major players in free agency to get the talent fixed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The thing I liked about Shanahan over the other guys was his success over multiple stops vs success in one spot. He's done great things with multiple people. That doesn't mean he'll be a great HC, but he is a brilliant OC. Compare that to McDaniels who has only been good at one spot.

Excellent point. I couldn't agree more.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I watched Ryan in college and felt that he was definitely worthy of the first pick in the draft. Even if a QB is just above average he is worth it, because it is so hard to find good QBs.

Saw him so pumped up on sideline . He was pucking on the sidelines when they were undefeated .It was a huge game for BC . He brought them back afterwards.
A great preformance.

As McVay said about the Jared Goff & the QB position.It the number key position in the game.

The Rams had the number 2 pick overall & took Chris Long. Atlanta had the number 3 pick & the need for a QB. I would have taken Matt Ryann & made them pay. If not you still have your QB of the future, like Young,Bree's,Rivers behind Bree's & Flutie.Rogers, Manning behind Warner,ect ...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well, he was drafted 3rd overall. That's pretty much where Goff was picked. Idk why people are so fixated on draft position anyway. QBs always go early no matter what. The difference is the Falcons didn't give up 6 selections to get Ryan. So there's a lot more riding on Goff improving.

But yes. I agree they are similar in how they play. And I would be elated if Goff got to his level. I'm excited for the future.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman, Coleman...

I could play QB for the Falcons and at least score a TD. Freeman and Coleman are one of the best RB duos in the NFL. And Julio Jones... There's elite, then there's Julio.

Yep, Julio has made elite defences look stupid many a time. Sanu's no slouch either and Gabriel is being used correctly as that fast lil' gadget player - it's not rocket science really.

But I've always liked Ryan and have always championed him, just because he's not flash doesn't mean he isnt a great QB. The other underrated QB in my mind is Alex Smith.