How you like the Matt Ryan comparisons now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Leading up to the 2016 draft Goff was most often compared to Matt Ryan.

Some questioned if a Matt Ryan type was worth the first overall pick. Brady, Rodgers or Manning type would definitely be worth it, but Matt Ryan?

Ryan completed the 2015 season with an 89.0 QB rating with 26 TD and 16 int. Not too impressive. Not worthy of a #1 overall pick.

Well look at him now. Playing in the NFC championship game. Possible NFL MVP. But look at his stats 38 TD to 7 int for a 117.1 QB rating!!! And that's before his 3 TD 0 int win vs Seattle!

So how did Ryan go from mediocre to MVP?

Free agency. Solidified oline with 3 time pro bowl center Mack and nabbed WR Sanu. They also found a way to keep the entire Oline healthy for the entire season.

Something similar happened to David Carr in Oakland until an injury ended his miraculous season and rise to stardom. Free agent Olineman signing.

See a pattern here? Yea me to.

Get er done.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amen.

The other big thing that Matt did was push himself to be greater. He worked with personal QB coaches this past offseason to improve his mechanics in order for him to throw a more effective deep ball (his biggest weakness over his career).

With Kyle Shanahan's innovative schemes and Ryan's significant improvement as a deep passer, that Atlanta offense really took off this year. And, as you said, adding the FAs really helped Ryan. They improved their OL significantly.

That's what we need this offseason. Goff needs to work hard on his game.(I'm sure McVay has some advice) The FO and Coaching Staff need to work hard on building a functional offense (both in terms of scheme and talent). And then we need to let it all come together.

With us breaking in a new offense (and defense) next year, we need to remain patient.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watched Ryan in college and felt that he was definitely worthy of the first pick in the draft. Even if a QB is just above average he is worth it, because it is so hard to find good QBs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched Ryan in college and felt that he was definitely worthy of the first pick in the draft. Even if a QB is just above average he is worth it, because it is so hard to find good QBs.
So true. So true

Another thing worth noting is how many back shoulder throws Ryan is able to complete. Jump balls he trusts his WR to get, many balls thrown before receiver makes their break. Another word, they have the talent and scheme to pull it off. It's light years ahead of just hoping our guys can merely hang on to a pass that hits them perfectly in stride

FRO

Legend
Matt Ryan would have been worthy of a number one overall pick before this year. He's a really good QB. What sets apart this year is its his second year in a really good scheme with the best OC in the league. Better hope Shanahan doesn't go to the 49ers.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
So how did Ryan go from mediocre to MVP?
I wouldn't say Ryan is and or was mediocre. Top 5 QB in passing yards since 2012, top 10 since 2010, 4 Pro Bowls, 5 playoff seasons, only 2 losing seasons, rookie of the year (11-5 as a rookie, they went 4-12 before him). He is definitely having a monster year, his best ever, but let's not act like he was just "ok" before this year. As to why, yes adding talent to talent helps immensely, also continuity. 2nd year of Quinn and Shanahan.

FRO

Legend
I wouldn't say Ryan is and or was mediocre. Top 5 QB in passing yards since 2012, top 10 since 2010, 4 Pro Bowls, 5 playoff seasons, only 2 losing seasons, rookie of the year (11-5 as a rookie, they went 4-12 before him). He is definitely having a monster year, his best ever, but let's not act like he was just "ok" before this year. As to why, yes adding talent to talent helps immensely, also continuity. 2nd year of Quinn and Shanahan.
Yeah I don't understand the premise that Matt Ryan was mediocre before this year. He's been a very good QB for the most of his career.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Yeah I don't understand the premise that Matt Ryan was mediocre before this year. He's been a very good QB for the most of his career.
My guess is to fit his narrative. Same with Carr, he has played well in all 3 of his seasons, there isn't a huge increase of performance in Carr this season to last, but the team overall did way better. 7-9 in 2015, 12-4 2016.

FRO

Legend
My guess is to fit his narrative. Same with Carr, he has played well in all 3 of his seasons, there isn't a huge increase of performance in Carr this season to last, but the team overall did way better. 7-9 in 2015, 12-4 2016.
Well some have a tendency to base QB play off teams W/L records. While QBs contribute to that record, they don't solely own it. Matt Ryan has had his best season as a pro, but in my opinion he's always been a good QB.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Well some have a tendency to base QB play off teams W/L records. While QBs contribute to that record, they don't solely own it. Matt Ryan has had his best season as a pro, but in my opinion he's always been a good QB.
Yeah, exactly. The narrative in the OP is that you surround a QB with talent they go from mediocre to Superstar in a year. You and I have both agreed that isn't the case with Ryan. What I'm saying with Carr is similar, that the difference in Carr this season to last season is minimal, but the Raiders went from 7-9 to 12-4. In both cases the QB has always been good. In 2015, 61.1% completion, 3,987 yards, 32-13 TD to INT, 91.1 QBR, pro bowl nomination. In 2016, 15 games, 63.8%, 3,937, 28-6, 96.7, pro bowl. Numbers increased, but not a huge leap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Matt Ryan would have been worthy of a number one overall pick before this year. He's a really good QB. What sets apart this year is its his second year in a really good scheme with the best OC in the league. Better hope Shanahan doesn't go to the 49ers.

Yep. Shanahan was my pick all the way. I can't believe the Rams didn't even interview him.

FRO

Legend
Yep. Shanahan was my pick all the way. I can't believe the Rams didn't even interview him.
I think they thought the 49ers were going to swipe McVay and they made sure they got a guy they really liked. If the 49ers don't hire Shanahan they're idiots.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they thought the 49ers were going to swipe McVay and they made sure they got a guy they really liked. If the 49ers don't hire Shanahan they're idiots.

I read that too. Still think the more experienced guy was a better choice

FRO

Legend
I read that too. Still think the more experienced guy was a better choice
The thing I liked about Shanahan over the other guys was his success over multiple stops vs success in one spot. He's done great things with multiple people. That doesn't mean he'll be a great HC, but he is a brilliant OC. Compare that to McDaniels who has only been good at one spot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Free agency. Solidified oline with 3 time pro bowl center Mack and nabbed WR Sanu. They also found a way to keep the entire Oline healthy for the entire season.
AND ... They have a pretty good OC calling the Plays!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd love to see Matty Ice in the elements vs Green Bay....or NY...instead of a dome. Good game...but, but...the refs seemed to be really involved with some plays yesterday.

Seriously...not impressed with a guy floating the ball all over the field. More impressed that Kyle Shanahan found a way to win with him.

Tevin Coleman is a lil beast.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wanted the Rams to go after Mack in FA, but they stuck with Barnes. Mack was a big reason why their OL had success.

McSead need to fix the OL or none of their dreams for Goff, Gurley and the offense will come true.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Atlanta's Achilles's heal was never Matt Ryan or the offense. It was their defense, and it now looks like they are getting better.