How the Rams might be setting up to actually land a decent quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
crybaby.gif
Awww. Poor lil guy. He has he look of someone who just mortgaged his future on a rookie QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
'Tis spelled "douchebag," old chap.
Oh-- and this writer read my mind, I hope the Rams are targeting Goff just as he describes.
Thanks for the "Spell-Check"! When you don't normally use a word it's sometimes hard to remember!:confused:
I don't see the Rams being able to move up far enough to get Goff, but we'll see!(y)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Awww. Poor lil guy. He has he look of someone who just mortgaged his future on a rookie QB.
Mortgaged. That word keeps getting thrown around like it'll kill the team's future. I'm not buying that. Snead is too good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mortgaged. That word keeps getting thrown around like it'll kill the team's future. I'm not buying that. Snead is too good.
It won't kill our future. I wasn't suggesting that. All it means is borrowing from the future to pay the present. If the 49ers aren't in play for Goff, then it might not cost a ton. But moving up to #3 from 15 will cost quite a bit. Remember all of the wailing about losing just one second round pick to get Tavon? What about losing multiple firsts and seconds?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And if we don't?
We took our best shot. Tried to make it happen rather than wait for something to happen. I've been very patient with this regime, as have you...but i feel like the time is right for the Rams to show some balls and declare that they've arrived by making a move like this.

I won't be pissed if they go your way, sit tight and ride w/Keenum and draft WR's. That might work...but then again, they may find themselves with a roster full of prime talent with a different backup QB every year.

Again i just believe the timings right. Ammo to move up, new city, on friggin HBO, prime time defense and special teams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We took our best shot. Tried to make it happen rather than wait for something to happen. I've been very patient with this regime, as have you...but i feel like the time is right for the Rams to show some balls and declare that they've arrived by making a move like this.

I won't be pissed if they go your way, sit tight and ride w/Keenum and draft WR's. That might work...but then again, they may find themselves with a roster full of prime talent with a different backup QB every year.

Again i just believe the timings right. Ammo to move up, new city, on friggin HBO, prime time defense and special teams.
That's cool. I can see your side of things too, and I don't disagree that it's a valid option. These are just preferences.
I'm not suggesting they sit tight with Keenum though. Bring another guy in and have him compete like everyone else.
Just address the WR/TE positions first, because that's going to help whoever the QB is .... immensely.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Here is what I see happening. If QB is at #15 .... Lynch/Goff/Whoever then Rd. two will get us a Tyler Boyd/Michael Thomas and either a TE/Braxton Miller or other need and Braxton Miller or DT/OC in Rd. 3. If We go WR @#15 ... Treadwell/Coleman/Doctson, then Rd. Two will go QB- Cook and WR ... Thomas/Boyd/Miller ... etc. I do think they will double down at WR this yr.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It won't kill our future. I wasn't suggesting that. All it means is borrowing from the future to pay the present. If the 49ers aren't in play for Goff, then it might not cost a ton. But moving up to #3 from 15 will cost quite a bit. Remember all of the wailing about losing just one second round pick to get Tavon? What about losing multiple firsts and seconds?
I remember. Personally i loved the move.
As for the Niners, the timing is also right to jump ahead of them because...
fishfinger.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Me too Mojo..I have been very patient with the Fisher way. I even agree with the idea that "X" and Fish/Snead believe that you can be successful with a bad ass defense with an efficient ball control offense. Yet, things have to go perfect with this scheme, because once the a lot of points are given up, its hard for our offense to catch up. Sure we need a great WR (or two), and maybe a few defensive players. However, if we ad a legitimate Franchise QB along with a safety valve like Gurley, we will win the NFC West...This draft feels like an opportunity that won't come that often in the future. It's time to move all the chips in, and bet it all. We might lose, but my God we might win HUGE.

jap

Legend
I remember. Personally i loved the move.
As for the Niners, the timing is also right to jump ahead of them because...
fishfinger.gif

I remember wanting Joe Montana so badly as he was coming out of Notre Dame . . . and the damn '9ers got him of all the freaking possible teams!!!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Me too Mojo..I have been very patient with the Fisher way. I even agree with the idea that "X" and Fish/Snead believe that you can be successful with a bad ass defense with an efficient ball control offense. Yet, things have to go perfect with this scheme, because once the a lot of points are given up, its hard for our offense to catch up. Sure we need a great WR (or two), and maybe a few defensive players. However, if we ad a legitimate Franchise QB along with a safety valve like Gurley, we will win the NFC West...This draft feels like an opportunity that won't come that often in the future. It's time to move all the chips in, and bet it all. We might lose, but my God we might win HUGE.
I truly believe they will draft a QB this yr. How can they not? Until you KNOW you have your "franchise QB", you do not .. so you have to be diligent in finding it ... but That doesn't mean it will be a 1st Rd. pick ... or even the gamble of moving up. There just is no "sure fire" candidate in this draft. The top 3 all have legitimate ?'s and I have yet to see ANY draft evaluator put their name on any of these QB's being that. Some have "flirted" with the notion ... but none have committed to it. But I do think they will add and continue to find it

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One can only hope this was all part of the Rams' brilliant plan. I hope they were playing the long-game this whole time. Because I worry that they're actually deluded enough to believe Keenum is the answer. :baghead:

You can't believe ANYTHING that Fisher or Snead say about player moves. Nothing, not a thing. In fact you can assume that everything they say is not what they are thinking or plotting. I cannot think of a single thing they have said about the roster or the draft that was true.

This time of year everyone is evasive with the media. Fisher and Snead are evasive from the time they wake up until they go to sleep.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm handing out two AWESOMES in this thread.

First to @Ramsey far another kick ass post. I always like your stuff and this plus the QB research you did is great reading.

And @Mojo Ram that pic is PREMIUM hahahahaha.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you look at that list of QBs that started 45 games every one of them has had a better career than any QB on the Rams roster. Surely, Snead realized that when computing his stats, right?

I doubt that Snead expects Keenum to start 45 games, at least for the Rams. So any criticism that implies that is a straw man.

Second, what were the stats like for those QBs in the first 5 games they started for their primary team? What were the receiving corps like? I suspect that many of Brady's wins on that list came when he had Moss and Welker in his prime. I suspect few primary receivers for those QBs were the caliber of Britt. I do expect the Rams to try to upgrade - but Snead does have a point. It's important to have a good defense in the NFL. Trading away so many picks that by the time the QB is ready he has no help around him, and an aging, expensive defense, is not a path to victory.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if we don't?
We'll be in the same place as if we didn't try. QB purgatory going no where not getting in the playoffs and bemoaning the fact that our last good QB was Marc Bulger while we wonder who we're going to pick in the 1st round yet again in the top 10.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It really looks like the organization has been building without concern for immediate results knowing the team was moving soon and that once in LA that would be the time to go for the immediate results. QB and WRs in this draft could provide just that.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I remember wanting Joe Montana so badly as he was coming out of Notre Dame . . . and the damn '9ers got him of all the freaking possible teams!!!
Good reminder most of what goes into getting an elite QB is lucky fate (luckily getting the #1 pick at the right time, or picking a QB on a whim that everyone else just passed on for whatever reason). You had the right call on Montana's future success, but no NFL team -- including the 49ers -- knew for certain Montana would be successful (or more accurately the west coast offense would thrive so much after the passing rules changes started being enforced -- see the awful 6-10 Bengals magically reaching the 1981 Super Bowl running the same system). At the time, Montana was just the QB that dropped to them randomly in the third round.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that QBs in general don't have a good record when the other team scores 25 points or more.

Sgq6RiJ.jpg

It has a lot to do with it on the other end.

If your team gives up 17 or less than 17 points, all 21 of those guys have winning records. Now you get into a couple categories, 21 to 24 points, that you give up, 11 of those quarterbacks have winning records and 10 have losing records

They are winning when their teams allow 17 points or less. If Keenum is averaging a TD per game and the Rams kick two field goals a game that is not even a 17 point average.....it is 13. So all of those QBs can consistently score more than 17 points a game. We cannot currently say that about any of the Rams QBs. Then when you jump up to the ones that consistently score between 21-24 the numbers of successful QBs is cut in half.......again we cannot count Keenum or Foles in that category.