How Sunday compared to what I watched at Training Camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I had a request to post my thoughts/observations on this topic, so I will give it a shot.

Offense:

Pretty much what I expected, in that this offense will go thru Jared Cook. Everything that happens will be a by product of what teams do to take that away.

Given the approach taken by Arizona, they were not going to force the issue with Givens. This again, is why Jared Cook will more often than not be the first option.

They showed that are willing to get the ball to Austin, but more often than not, it will be short underneath routes trying to get him in space. Saw the Jet Sweep coming as soon as they broke the huddle. Again, something they worked on throughout camp.

Many people probably didn't notice, but Brian Quick got almost half the reps, without being targeted but 3 times. Again, it was more by design, IMO, that they just weren't focused on getting the ball to the wideouts Sunday. The "check downs" to Richardson/Pead, and quick routes to Kendricks are also going to be staples of this attack.

As teams adjust their coverage, especially if they lean more to Zone coverage, look for Brian Quick to be a factor on the "deep dig" route.

The biggest surprise to me, and I am sure it was more due to the personnel (Pead's suspension) was the number of carries that Richardson got. I just don't see that happening moving forward. What it tells me, they still aren't sold on Stacy as a viable option. There is a reason both he and Cunningham shared 2nd and 3rd unit reps throughout training camp.

Was a little surprised by the lack of stretch plays in the running game. They seemed determined to run it between the tackles, and while they did a lot of that throughout camp, they also made a point of getting to the edge. Something they really didn't do much Sunday.

Defense:

What I did see was how they settled very quickly into a rotation (role) with Hayes and Sims on early downs. For all the accolades that Quinn gets for his pass rush skills, he is still a liability when it comes to stopping the run.

Once they got Sims and Hayes on the field, they really did a good job of controlling the running game. Also having them both slide inside in Nickel situations is a big plus.

I thought that Walton got outcoached by Arians in the matchups, and when AZ put Fitzgerald in the slot, it forced the Rams to play much more zone than I think they wanted to.

They were better in the Base 4-3 package, and were able to play more MAN, which is what they showed a lot throughout training camp. The one thing that wasn't on display, that stood out during camp, were Ogletrees cover skills. Because AZ rarely got their TE involved (or RB) in the passing game, he was sort of lost in the shuffle in the zone again.

I think we saw what Rodney McLeod brings to the table with regards to his anticipation. The play that stands out to me, is when he closed down on Fitzgerald on a simple out route, and made the play on 3rd down. This is exactly what I saw throughout camp. He reads plays and sees them develop, rather than sitting back and reacting to them AFTER they happen.

I thought Langford and Brockers did a nice job at the point of attack. I think they are primed to have a very good year.

Overall, there weren't all that many new wrinkles to me, from what they showed throughout training camp. I will add, there are formations and other things they have kept for a later date. and I think they will be quite successful once they get the chance to utilize them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Excellent post, CoachO. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to the day when we start seeing Bradford connecting with Quick on those dig routes.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 wanting to know my secrets:
Huh?

My son records it for me. Don't ask me how because I can't tell you. But he's not coming over to watch it with me until Wednesday night. He brings it over to my house on a thumbnail drive. I like it because we get to watch the game together. The wife is worthless (Russian) when it comes to football darn it! :lol:

So anyway I haven't seen the game yet. That's why I haven't been commenting on it very much.

Sometimes I can get a streaming version at Firstrow but most of the time it doesn't work and it's too hard to handle all the pop ups too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Huh?

My son records it for me. Don't ask me how because I can't tell you. But he's not coming over to watch it with me until Wednesday night. He brings it over to my house on a thumbnail drive. I like it because we get to watch the game together. The wife is worthless (Russian) when it comes to football darn it! :lol:

So anyway I haven't seen the game yet. That's why I haven't been commenting on it very much.

Sometimes I can get a streaming version at Firstrow but most of the time it doesn't work and it's too hard to handle all the pop ups too.
Very cool that you watch them with your son. :cool:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Huh?

That's just plain cool man. Watching games with my dad is why I am such a Ram fanatic now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
albefree69 said:
Huh?

That's just plain cool man. [hilite]Watching games with my dad is why I am such a Ram fanatic now.[/hilite]
Me too.

A couple times a year when my son is home during game times, he's usually working (Costco), we'll watch it together, and talk or chat during the game.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yeah but it sucks when your on a Rams board. By the time I watch the game you guys have already talked everything about it to death. You guys miss all the brilliant insights of mine that you already knew. :lol:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Yeah but it sucks when your on a Rams board. By the time I watch the game you guys have already talked everything about it to death. You guys miss all the brilliant insights of mine that you already knew. :lol:

Nah... we caught BOTH of them. :box:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Have to agree with the lack of stretch plays. I think that's where we'll have the most success in the running game this season, regardless of who's in the backfield.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
Tell Jeffe Thor said hey

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
albefree69 said:
Huh?

Using Google Chrome and search for the plugin Adblocker Plus (it will be one of the top 2 links). Perhaps the most effective pop-up blocker there is right now.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamsOfCastamere with a great idea:
Using Google Chrome and search for the plugin Adblocker Plus (it will be one of the top 2 links). Perhaps the most effective pop-up blocker there is right now.
My daughter just installed it for me so I can't wait for next Sunday to try it out. :zomg:
Thank you! :tyty:

Of course there is still the problem of none of the links working at all for me. That happens about 50% of the time but you know what they say about half a loaf. :cheese:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thanks Coach O

last year Fisher saved some plays for San Francisco. I think he is doing the same this year. I am not so certain that he can afford to do that with the quality of opponents ahead of the Niners.

I expect improvements from the first game to the second. That seems to be the way of it. Camp cannot duplicate Real games that count.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Elmgrovegnome with some sagacious observations:
last year Fisher saved some plays for San Francisco. I think he is doing the same this year. I am not so certain that he can afford to do that with the quality of opponents ahead of the Niners.

I expect improvements from the first game to the second. That seems to be the way of it. Camp cannot duplicate Real games that count.
:plus1:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watch half the games with my oldest. Unfortunately, he's at his mother's house during the other half of the games... but when that happens we are usually on the phone together while we watch it.

He started college this year and lives on campus. Luckily he is attending UCF which is only 15 minutes away from mi casa. I was hoping that he would just spend every weekend with me now,,, but no. I'm trying to bribe him with various handouts and nothing is working,,,, YET.