How Stafford fits into McVays system

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Interesting how Mayfield and Rodgers took a year to fully adjust to the Shanahan-rooted scheme, hope the change in scenery for Stafford is a skyrocketed improvement that he won't feel the flaws of transition

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is it me or does McVay look a little rotund in that photo. All those dessert wines by the pool leaving a mark perhaps. :biggrin:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I don't think it will take as long because mcvay is a better teacher and I believe stafford will be a better student than rodgers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good vid btw thanks for posting it @Shuie3225.

I will also disagree with the vid owner that it's going to take some time for Stafford to settle in. He's going from a place where they did not make it easy on the QB to a place where they make it easy on the QB with the play action and the schemed throws for easy short gainers. Expect he'll settle in quickly and this team should be very well balanced in pass/run game as well as offense/defense.

We're gonna win a ton of games this season IMO. I think the improvement at QB alone moves us from a wildcard team to a top seed type team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the bootleg was a big part of McVay’s offense in 2017/2018. I thought we really saw bootlegs become a prominent part of the offense halfway through 2019. Many felt it was a way to make up for poor blocking, I think it was also to simplify the offense for Goff.

So it may not be a big part of the Rams offense going forward with Stafford.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So Stafford isn't that productive on roll-outs?
I really don't see that as a problem as long as we can protect the qb better than we have the last 2 seasons.

We really didn't even see the roll-out used regularly, until half way through 2019. We used it to buy Goff some time from a collapsed pocket.
So, I don't see why McVay would feel the need to keep using it in his offense.

Stafford is smart and quick. I don't think the transition to McVays offense will be a tough one for him. In fact, don't we all think McVay will actually help the transition by adapting his offense to Stafford?
After all, McVay hand picked Stafford for his offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The rollouts were about the OL too. If the Rams bring Blythe back in fact they might find themselves rolling Stafford out even when he doesn't like it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the bootleg was a big part of McVay’s offense in 2017/2018. I thought we really saw bootlegs become a prominent part of the offense halfway through 2019. Many felt it was a way to make up for poor blocking, I think it was also to simplify the offense for Goff.

So it may not be a big part of the Rams offense going forward with Stafford.
Looks like we are on the same page here. Lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So Stafford isn't that productive on roll-outs?
I really don't see that as a problem as long as we can protect the qb better than we have the last 2 seasons.

We really didn't even see the roll-out used regularly, until half way through 2019. We used it to buy Goff some time from a collapsed pocket.
So, I don't see why McVay would feel the need to keep using it in his offense.

Stafford is smart and quick. I don't think the transition to McVays offense will be a tough one for him. In fact, don't we all think McVay will actually help the transition by adapting his offense to Stafford?
After all, McVay hand picked Stafford for his offense.

we literally had the same thought minutes apart. I’ve watched six Lions games so far. Two things he does very well is move up into the pocket while he keep his eyes downfield. The other is he can take off and run much better than Goff. He knows how to slide as well.

He may not have to run many bootlegs.

Tano

Legend
The rollouts were about the OL too. If the Rams bring Blythe back in fact they might find themselves rolling Stafford out even when he doesn't like it.
That's the entire reason that the Rams went to roll-outs.

Blythe could not hold the push up the middle so McVay was forced to do roll-outs to give Goff more time on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.

Tano

Legend
we literally had the same thought minutes apart. I’ve watched six Lions games so far. Two things he does very well is move up into the pocket while he keep his eyes downfield. The other is he can take off and run much better than Goff. He knows how to slide as well.

It all depends on who is playing center.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I honestly don't recall seeing any bootlegs in '17 and '18.

We didn't need them.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Blythe could not hold the push up the middle so McVay was forced to do roll-outs to give Goff more time on 2nd and long and 3rd and long.
I belive it was the beginning of the Brian Allen experiment.

Tano

Legend
I belive it was the beginning of the Brian Allen experiment.
Maybe but I think it was more Blythe because Brian Allen was injured fairly early in the year and McVay didn't go to roll-outs until Game 11 I believe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I honestly don't recall seeing any bootlegs in '17 and '18.

We didn't need them.

This is how I remember Most of 2018

D5A0CA89-6298-44AC-877E-13726A095C44.jpeg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was a lot more going on other than the OL. But this isn't a good place to get into all that again so will agree to disagree.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
On a side note.... When are the Rams going to announce Stafford formally?? He is still listed as Lions QB on Wiki for phuk sake...