How Rams' Free-Agent Signings Alter Draft Approach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Find out how the St. Louis Rams' free-agent signings will impact what they do with their two first-round draft picks.

[stl]59a26f2a-ec61-47fb-abd8-d859db2b44ad[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/How-Rams-Free-Agent-Signings-Alter-Draft-Approach/59a26f2a-ec61-47fb-abd8-d859db2b44ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 59db2b44ad</a>

A55VA6

Legend
I agree with all that they said. Definitely need to grab Austin or Patterson at 16. (if available of course)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm leaning that way too WR/S or S/WR but it wouldn't upset me terribly if they went with a OLB with one of those first round picks then got a S in the 2nd round.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i reckon if miami gets a sniff that the rams might go after austin that they will pick him just to spite the rams.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think I've heard a few people say Cook replaces Amendola in the slot. I don't agree with that. I know he's a hybrid TE and a fast one at that. But I don't think you can compare Cook to what I would deem a true slot receiver like Austin. And I want Austin bad. I think he would add a demension to the offense we have probably never had. Not to mention the PR/KR potential he has also.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
kurtfaulk said:

i reckon if miami gets a sniff that the rams might go after austin that they will pick him just to spite the rams.

Doubt that...They just signed 3 WR's and a TE...BTW they need an OT. : :sly:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
den-the-coach said:
kurtfaulk said:

:sly: :cheese: Nice one!

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I also keep thinking if you had speed like Givens and Austin that requires extra attention, imagine how things could open up for Cook and Quick probably gets the 3rd or 4th DB on him. Plus I think the running game opens up even more. I would love the screen game with Givens and Austin also. Oh the possibilities..

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
den-the-coach said:
kurtfaulk said:

Ouch! :lmao:

Yeah - I don't see any team doing something like that with their first round pick just out of spite.

I DO see another team trading up to nab Austin if the Rams are close to picking. One would have to assume that is our likely choice unless Patterson is there. We have size in BQ, Pettis, Kendricks, Cook. Givens is a speedster and Austin would give us another speedster with return skills. That would be a wicked receiving corp.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There have been so many pro "Tavon Austin" I almost feel if the Rams don't draft him that we actually lost him. I hope he's there at 16 because he is going to be very special and on top of that he seems like a great kid too.

Let's get it done because when it comes to General Managers in the Gateway City...Les is More!

4f3bef56ccb33.preview-620.jpg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I think I'd just wait and see whats there at 16 & 22 and just take the best player. Other than QB there's not a unit on this team that don't need a talent boost.

All the teams stack their draft board differently. That leads to chaos in the draft which benefits the teams in the middle of the 1st.
When the Rams pick@ 16 maybe their 6th or 7th rated player is still there, you almost have to take him instead of a much lower rated player. In any drafts there are always a dozen great prospects then it tapers off.
And if no player is worthy of the pick , trade down if you get a great offer.

Rams are in great position now. No reaching for a 2nd rd tackle in the 1st and using a pick on a TE. It's like they just got two more 1st RD picks.

Best case: Teams ahead of the Rams reach for Barkley and Nassib.
A name to watch for the Rams. Xavier Rhodes.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
bwdenverram said:
I also keep thinking if you had speed like Givens and Austin that requires extra attention, imagine how things could open up for Cook and Quick probably gets the 3rd or 4th DB on him. Plus I think the running game opens up even more. I would love the screen game with Givens and Austin also. Oh the possibilities..
If we did manage to get Austin and De'Anthony imagine coming out with a 4 wide set and being able to run the end around left or right depending on how the defense is set and pick your poison. :boing:

jap

Legend
Tavon's stock may be rising, but how many teams would actually go after him with their first overall pick? Pittsburgh might after losing Mike Wallace, but they have the #17 overall pick after us. Both the Pats and the Broncs employ slot receivers like Tavon, but they also pick after us and they already have their guys. Tavon is tailor-made for us, but a luxury 1st round choice for most teams---and those type of teams tend to pick after us. Of course, someone could look to move up and screw us but then we have to depend on our veteran coaches and GM to feel the pulse of the draft process and know when to slide up or down.

…..

Legend
Some have posted that Harvey Dahl could be a cap cut. Personally, I like Dahl's playing style, so I dont want to see him go.

With or without Dahl on the roster, they must consider if Warmack is on the board and is the BPA, it opens up a rare opportunity to solidify the line for a good while (assuming Rok turns out to be the guy we hoped)

not sure how things will turn out...but it wouldnt kill me if we went with G at 16 assuming we get what we wanted out of the 22nd spot.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Barrison6 said:
bwdenverram said:
If we did manage to get Austin and De'Anthony imagine coming out with a 4 wide set and being able to run the end around left or right depending on how the defense is set and pick your poison. :boing:

I just wet myself bro.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
bwdenverram said:

I totally disagree, if you have Austin and Cook on the field together, the chances of a pass play goes way up.. Which makes it way easier to defend

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
PressureD41 said:
bwdenverram said:

I totally disagree, if you have Austin and Cook on the field together, the chances of a pass play goes way up.. Which makes it way easier to defend

Hard to defend 4.3 speed. Prepared or not. That's why Mike Wallace got $13M a year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE[/youtube]

A55VA6

Legend
Patterson is like a Julio Jones / Randy Moss hybrid. He's going to be good...

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'll take this every day and 7 catches for 100 yards and 2 TD's every Sunday :bg:
572 total yards against the #12 Sooners. Who the freak does that? It takes playmakers to win games. IMO the two guys I just posted are the best options. I really hope we get one of them. Either will make our team instantly better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU[/youtube]

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
A55VA6 said:
Patterson is like a Julio Jones / Randy Moss hybrid. He's going to be good...

I'll be honest, hadn't really watched much of him. But after seeing that video, I agree 1000% He is a freak athlete.