How much better will the Jaguars be with Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...h-better-will-the-jaguars-be-with-nick-foles/

How much better will the Jaguars be with Nick Foles?

After the Jaguars made an unexpected appearance in the 2017 AFC Championship, they had a decision to make regarding quarterback Blake Bortles, who was entering the fifth and final year of his rookie deal. They made the wrong decision.

The Jaguars converted the balance of the contract to a three-year arrangement that paid out $26.5 million guaranteed, and then the Jaguars finally decided after one more year that Bortles isn’t the answer. Fueling the decision was the availbility of Nick Foles, the Super Bowl LII MVP who came relatively cheap ($22 million per year), thanks to lingering doubts about his abilities — doubts that surely will serve only to fuel Foles for 2019, and beyond.

Yes, Foles struggled with the Rams. His time with the Chiefs, while underrated, wasn’t spectacular. But forget about the distant past. More recently, he has proven that, in the right system and with the right support and the right coaching, he can be the right man for the job. By reuniting him with former Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, Foles should be in good hands, and the Jaguars should be in a great spot.

Foles carries with him a vastly underrated set of intangibles. He can lead. He can inspire. He can connect. He can hold teammates accountable because he makes himself accountable.

Bortles, frankly, never really clicked, but the Jaguars (until Foles was available) never really had a better option (other than passing on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson for Leonard Fournette, that is). Too many teammates resented the double standard that the team appied to Bortles, demanding excellence from them but looking the other way regarding the obvious deficiencies at the most important position on either side of the ball.

With Foles, the most important position on either side of the ball is taken care of. With plenty of other talented players, the Jaguars could threaten to recapture the division, and they could shake up the upper crust of the conference.

However it plays out, they’ll be better off than they were with Bortles.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was going to start a topic on this a few weeks ago, but admit I don’t know the Jaguars that well.

Foles is a good guy, easy to root for, but I don’t know about this fit. Having Defilippo there is very good... but look at the WR group.

Foles needs a supporting cast and I’m not sure it’s there yet.

https://www.jaguars.com/team/players-roster/

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A win or two, they still have average to below players at WR/TE. Fournette is injury prone and below a 4.0 ypc career so far. The OLine is just ok in spite of having some good players maybe it's coaching? That defense is legit but the offense is capable of bottom 5 in the NFL.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Hard to say. Foles has certainly proved he can play in big games. But for a whole season? With a team lacking in offensive talent? Foles is not the kind of guy who can elevate players around him. He needs help.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-fantasy-outlook-for-the-jacksonville-jaguars
100 Questions: The fantasy outlook for the Jacksonville Jaguars
BY DANIEL KELLEY
JUL 4, 2019
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS LEONARD FOURNETTE DEDE WESTBROOK NICK FOLES MARQISE LEE
FANTASY FEATURED TOOLS

Leonard-Fournette.jpg
Aug 25, 2018; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette (27) runs for a score against the Atlanta Falcons during the second quarter at TIAA Bank Field. Mandatory Credit: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports
(With training camps starting soon around the league, we’re looking ahead at the 2019 fantasy football season and attempting to answer the burning questions around the league. For each team, we’ll ask, and hopefully answer, 3-4 questions about their season to come in fantasy. This is 100 Questions.)

From a historical perspective, the Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 season looks like an aberration. This is a team that hasn’t won more than 5 games or finished better than third in the division in any of the last eight years outside of that season, when it went 10-6, won the division, and came a hair away from a Super Bowl appearance.

But that’s as of now. If the Jaguars, still with a strong defense and now with a quarterback who isn’t Blake Bortles, can put things back together in 2019 and going forward, then the regression in 2018 will be the historical aberration, and Jason in The Good Place will be so happy. But can they?

#20: WHAT IS NICK FOLES’ CEILING?
Screen-Shot-2019-06-27-at-3.45.01-PM.png

Foles started eight regular-season games for the Eagles in the last two years. He had one four-touchdown game each year, and totaled four touchdown passes in the other six games combined. That’s a Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque range of outcomes. And it doesn’t stop there — he’s been a wide-ranging guy his whole career, from his monster 2013 with 27 touchdowns and 2 interceptions to his miserable 2015 with a 7:10 ratio and a lost job. Now, he’s tasked with heading up a Jaguars team that doesn’t need him to be a monster, but does need an improvement on the five-year tenure of Bortles that never saw a PFF grade of even 70.0.

Best guess: The question was about ceiling. Foles has displayed a ceiling of one of the league’s elite fantasy quarterbacks, even if it’s been six years now since it has made an appearance. And the sticking point for fantasy is that the Jaguars probably aren’t even going to try to access that ceiling. Foles is there to hand the ball to Leonard Fournette, let the defense do its thing, and pass just well enough not to screw things up. Foles is the No. 26 QB in Fantasy Football Calculator ADP, No. 28 QB in our PFF Fantasy staff rankings, and not worth a draft pick outside of super-deep and/or two-QB leagues.

#21: SPEAKING OF LEONARD FOURNETTE, CAN HE REBOUND?
You’d have to call Fournette’s two years in the league a disappointment at this point, especially considering the top-drafted running back the year before him was Ezekiel Elliottand after was Saquon Barkley. He hasn’t been bad, but he certainly hasn’t been top-four-pick-worthy (or as top-four-pick-worthy as it’s possible for a running back to be). Add to that a 2018 that saw him miss time to injury and suspension, and he’s underwhelmed.

Best guess: But! For fantasy, we don’t care about quality as much as quantity, as our own Scott Barrett has shown. Fournette doesn’t have to be a monster on a per-touch basis if he’s dominating backfield touches, and with a backfield that includes Alfred Blue, Benny Cunningham, Thomas Rawls, and Ryquell Armstead as his primary competition four touches, there should be plenty of quantity — even more if his increased work in the passing game from 2018 continues. You can get him 14th among running backs right now, but he’s 12th in our staff ranks.

#22: IS IT EVEN WORTH TRYING TO SORT OUT THE RECEIVER DEPTH CHART?
Screen-Shot-2019-06-27-at-3.45.42-PM.png

The Jaguars have played 32 games the last two years (obviously). Marqise Lee and Allen Hurns played in 2017 and not 2018; Donte Moncrief played in 2018 and not 2017. Of the other relevant names, Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole appeared in both seasons, but neither was relevant for all 32. So there’s a mishmash of players who have led the team in receiver PPR scoring in a given game, with Westbrook the closest thing we have to a standout. Lee should return from injury this season, with Westbrook and Cole still around, plus Chris Conley, D.J. Chark, even Terrelle Pryor.

Best guess: Probably not. Westbrook is currently the team’s highest-drafted and highest-ranked receiver, while Lee has been called the likely No. 1 whenever he’s 100% but that might not be for a bit, and Conley was described as the most impressive in offseason workouts. Just like with Foles, though, this isn’t likely to be an offense that is pass-heavy enough to matter for fantasy, so no matter who takes the No. 1 gig, you probably won’t care.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? START A CONVERSATION.

PFF EDGE

The Jaguars have played 32 games the last two years (obviously). Marqise Lee and Allen Hurns played in 2017 and not 2018; Donte Moncrief played in 2018 and not 2017. Of the other relevant names, Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole appeared in both seasons, but neither was relevant for all 32. So there’s a mishmash of players who have led the team in receiver PPR scoring in a given game, with Westbrook the closest thing we have to a standout. Lee should return from injury this season, with Westbrook and Cole still around, plus Chris Conley, D.J. Chark, even Terrelle Pryor.

Best guess: Probably not. Westbrook is currently the team’s highest-drafted and highest-ranked receiver, while Lee has been called the likely No. 1 whenever he’s 100% but that might not be for a bit, and Conley was described as the most impressive in offseason workouts. Just like with Foles, though, this isn’t likely to be an offense that is pass-heavy enough to matter for fantasy, so no matter who takes the No. 1 gig, you probably won’t care.

Ram65

Legend
Foles needs Fournette to stay on the field. He can help set up the passing game. Foles has Benny C to help him too. The Jags could end up with a solid WR group. Lee, Westbrook, Clark, Conley, Cole and now Pryor. Some good speed and size. Foles can throw the deep ball and likes to throw to the taller WRs. It's reported Lee will have to wait till the end of camp to be cleared to play but, is doing well in his rehab.

It could take a few weeks for the offense to get going. The good thing is that the Jags have a great defense. Foles appears to be a upgrade over Bortles but, he hasn't started a season as the number 1 QB in a long time. He has the offensive coordinator that knows he game. I think Foles and the Jags will surprise with a playoff run. Link below is a good read on Lee and the WRs.

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...ng-for-jaguars-receiver-marqise-lee-in-return

jjab360

Legend
That question could very easily be how much worse? I think it's much more likely we see the Rams version of Foles than the Eagles version tbh.

nighttrain

Legend
That question could very easily be how much worse? I think it's much more likely we see the Rams version of Foles than the Eagles version tbh.
D's are going to t-off on Foles, he doesnt take hits to the body very well
train

oldnotdead

Legend
I think what Foles brings is consistency of play at QB. He's capable of winning a game if he has too. But as long as he doesn't have to carry the team he's fine. So what does that mean? I don't see them as having enough offense to be a SB contender but I think the team can make the playoffs. Let's face it. The strength of this team has been the defense. If that continues to be true then Foles is a QB that projects as one who won't lose them games. That to me says this team can make the playoffs at least as a wildcard.

They are in the same division as the Colts and Texans. It's going to be tough for them to win that division. I don't see Foles making as making the crucial difference. They will go as far as the defense will take them. As long as Foles doesn't have to win in a shootout he should be ok.

MauiRam

Rookie
I don't know much about the Jaguars overall, but I do know that if Foles isn't well protected, he'll end up battered - the only things happy will be his feet. Given enough time to set and deliver Nick can be an upgrade for the Jags. Clearly he doesn't have the wheels to run around and extend plays. When he played for the Rams his protection was anything but stellar. I'm curious to see how he does with them. I truly felt sorry for him when he played for us. He got beat up pretty good ..

Ram65

Legend
Reconstructing the Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Mindset
By
Brad Harvin
-
May 15, 2019
Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

MIAMI, FL - DECEMBER 23: Leonard Fournette #27 of the Jacksonville Jaguars in action against the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium on December 23, 2018 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)
This off-season has been filled with new faces in the Jacksonville Jaguars locker room. No it’s not just the rookie class headlined by edge rusher Josh Allen and offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor. Also, it’s not just the signing of former Super Bowl MVP quarterback Nick Foles. But there are more new faces, including coaches. What can we expect from a team that finished a disappointing 5-11 in 2018? A team searching for answers to reconstruct an offensive mindset.

How to Reconstruct the Jacksonville Jaguars Offensive Mindset
Offensive Renovations
The biggest struggle for the Jaguars in 2018 was moving the ball consistently on offense. At 15.3 points per game, the Jaguars were second to last in the NFL. The Jaguars were near the bottom with a paltry 302 total yards per game. They also struggled to run the ball effectively and finished in the bottom half of the league at 107 rushing yards. However the biggest impact was the lack of first downs (277 or 17.3 per game). There was a frustrating inability to sustain drives and allow one the league’s top defenses to rest and avoid problematic situations.

New Coaches
Perhaps the biggest impact will be from new offensive line coach George Warhop and new running backs coach, Terry Robiskie. The vision for the Jaguars continues to be to run the ball effectively and often. This has not changed with the addition of Foles and offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.

However, the look and feel of the 2019 Jaguars will be different. DeFilippo favors working out of a shotgun or pistol set, which is Foles’ preference as well. It has been noted that running back Leonard Fournette is not as comfortable in this formation. Apparently, he has a few months to become adjusted. This is where Robiskie comes in.

Robiskie’s Influence
Towards the end of 2018, it was evident that former running backs coach Ty Wheatleylost control of this group. Grumblings and pouting have no place on a roster. The Jaguars front office had to make a change. This one was interesting as Robiskie has mainly worked as a wide receivers coach throughout his tenure in the NFL. However, he played the position at LSU, similar to Fournette and Alfred Blue. Perhaps the Jags are trying to incorporate a sense of Bayou Bengal respect as a tool to gain the reigns of this group? Maybe.

But Robiskie does have the NFL pedigree of influencing running backs such as Marcus Allen and wide receivers like Julio Jones. He needs to prepare Fournette mentally, who has been criticized the past two years for his immaturity. Additionally, he will need to ensure the other running backs in the stable are ready to relieve Fournette, as he has yet to play a full season.

Warhop In the Trenches
Since 1996, Warhop has left his footprint on several NFL teams. Additionally, his guidance helped mold Pro Bowlers Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, and Larry Allen. Warhop joins the Jaguars fresh off the heels of an impressive 2018 season in Tampa Bay, a year that saw his unit contribute to multiple Buccaneer records for first downs, total yards, and scoring. Head coach Doug Marrone hopes for this to translate to Jacksonville.

FUN FACT: Warhop coached Doug Marrone in NFL Europe in the early 1990s.

The Jaguars offensive line suffered catastrophic injuries in 2018 leading to poor offensive output. However, the unit lacked discipline and aggressiveness. The first step is to return the offensive line from injuries. Next, get the new faces like Taylor acclimated to play from day one. If Warhop can propel the offensive line to another level, the play action passing game will be re-inserted into the playbook. It’s a section of the playbook that was deleted in 2018.

Last Word
The road to a competitive offense will be difficult with the Jaguars’ current roster. However, the new regime of coaches will be looked upon to challenge the group. DeFilippo and Robiskie can lean on Warhop’s years in the trenches to get the team to execute efficiently. Warhop also has familiarity with coaching running backs, which can offset the inexperience of Robiskie. The pieces of the Jaguars’ offense may seem puzzling right now. But it’s up to the new faces among the coaching staff to put it all together.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2...g-the-jacksonville-jaguars-offensive-mindset/

They also drafted Jawaan Taylor in the second round...

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
In my mind, he is not better than Blake. I don’t see them getting better unless Forenette(Soelling) has a breakout year.

Ram65

Legend
However, the look and feel of the 2019 Jaguars will be different. DeFilippo favors working out of a shotgun or pistol set, which is Foles’ preference as well. It has been noted that running back Leonard Fournette is not as comfortable in this formation. Apparently, he has a few months to become adjusted. This is where Robiskie comes in.

Seems like the Jags O Line was injury riddled last year. Bortles wasn't known for reading defenses and making accurate throws all the time. I liked his run ability. Seems like the entire offense was just off last year.

It's hard to answer the question if you don't know the details about the offense. The first thing that stands out to me is that DeFillipo knows Foles very well. He is going to bring back the play fakes and I guess some RPOs. Foles does well at both. While he has a great touch down field his strength is the quick shorter those.

New Coaches
Perhaps the biggest impact will be from new offensive line coach George Warhop and new running backs coach, Terry Robiskie. The vision for the Jaguars continues to be to run the ball effectively and often. This has not changed with the addition of Foles and offensive coordinator John DeFilippo.

New coaching blood can change the mind set all around. An improved offensive line can help Foles and Fournette.

The Jags have to be better this year. They will play to Foles strengths.

Ram65

Legend
Should the question be is Foles better than Bortles?

Nobody offered Bortles a starting QB job.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles and Foles have different strengths. I suspect they will do a better job at playing to Foles' strengths this coming season.

In terms of talent levels, neither is great, but either can do well if the situation is just right.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bortles and Foles have different strengths. I suspect they will do a better job at playing to Foles' strengths this coming season.

In terms of talent levels, neither is great, but either can do well if the situation is just right.

His track record with the Eagles was pretty amazing. I’m not predicting how he will do either way. As a Ram fan I think he got a raw deal.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
Foles will be okay if he has Fournette and BC in the backfield. He needs his oline to give him a decent chance to. Big Dick Nick will have them as a wildcard!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I still don’t believe in Foles. I know the numbers say I should, but I don’t.