How McVay evaluates QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Because he hasnt scouted a QB for the Rams yet. Inherited Mannion and Goff, chose to re-sign Goff, which I suppose means he would have scouted him.

Oh, in my head I’m thinking scouting as a general term and not necessarily specific to only college QBs. Scouting opposing QBs when playing them etc.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I just wished that every time McVay praises Stafford or mentions how much he enjoys working with him that some people here would stop getting their panties all bunched up in a wad and take McVay’s words as a slight to Goff instead of what it what it really is… a complement to Matt.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just wished that every time McVay praises Stafford or mentions how much he enjoys working with him that some people here would stop getting their panties all bunched up in a wad and take McVay’s words as a slight to Goff instead of what it what it really is… a complement to Matt.
That's a good post. I would like to add that he has only seen Stafford in shells at this point? Please correct me if I am wrong. I know there is film out there, but what do we really know at this point? Off season freaking media drivel about Mcvay's "praise for Stafford", and how he is in his freaking happy place. The Rams organization knows there are many that were upset about Goff's departure. They are selling seats. I'm waiting for the season to start.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Amen. Between the disgruntled Goff supporters and the thinly veiled disregard for Stafford by some on here.....you would almost think this team is a basement dweller. My son has been a Rams fan since he was old enough to understand (he's 24) and has never had anything to root for until the past four years. In McVay I trust.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I respect your opinion thirteen but I didn't think it was as bad as alot of people thought. McVay was just being honest and calling out one of his players that he thought could've performed better. He praises players when they do good things so I expect him to call players out that's not living up to his standards. You take the good with the bad. Snead on the other hand with his smart remarks about Goff still being on the team as of now was wrong. Everyone knew what he actually meant and that shouldve stayed confidential. But that's just my opinion.

If you read my post clearly, I said "starting with the end of the Green Bay game." It was after that game where, when asked about Goff being the Rams QB, McVay hedged with the "right now" phrase. This was after a gutty performance by Goff, and one where he didn't turn the ball over as he had in other games and played reasonably well. He wasn't the reason we lost that game as he had been in others previously in the season.

It was not a smart thing to say at the time. I understand emotions were high right after a playoff loss, but a coach has to keep that in check, and he didn't. And given the way the QB situation shook out this offseason, he's goddamn lucky Stafford became available, because we know now Watson was not really an option and there was nobody else worthwhile who was available.

I'm glad he's happy with Stafford so far; it would be a huge problem if he wasn't. Still, McVay, while a great coach, needs to learn some things about PR and working the media, and the fact that for at least the near future many of his comments regarding QBs will be seen as a slight on the one he traded away is, as I said, a perception he earned. Live and learn.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So basically, only say nice things because otherwise it will hurt peoples feelings? Didnt realize that's how discussion works. Seems the only folks who get "their panties in a wad" are those who only want to the conversation to be that Stafford is great and Goff sucked.
I labored my way through that piece, and man it was painful. It seriously took Aikman 10 minutes to ask a question. Shrager and McV basically had to interrupt Aikman because he was repeating himself over and over...
As for the Goff stuff, i'm as big of a supporter of McVay as there is. And I am looking forward to seeing Stafford under center like everyone else. That said, this interview, the stuff Goff has come out with, all support a bad look IMO. When Stafford has a great season, the Rams win the SB, life will be great. In the event things dont work out? Hope we never have to find that out

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
If you read my post clearly, I said "starting with the end of the Green Bay game." It was after that game where, when asked about Goff being the Rams QB, McVay hedged with the "right now" phrase. This was after a gutty performance by Goff, and one where he didn't turn the ball over as he had in other games and played reasonably well. He wasn't the reason we lost that game as he had been in others previously in the season.

It was not a smart thing to say at the time. I understand emotions were high right after a playoff loss, but a coach has to keep that in check, and he didn't. And given the way the QB situation shook out this offseason, he's goddamn lucky Stafford became available, because we know now Watson was not really an option and there was nobody else worthwhile who was available.

I'm glad he's happy with Stafford so far; it would be a huge problem if he wasn't. Still, McVay, while a great coach, needs to learn some things about PR and working the media, and the fact that for at least the near future many of his comments regarding QBs will be seen as a slight on the one he traded away is, as I said, a perception he earned. Live and learn.
Snead was the one making the shitty comment about Goff being the QB "right now" not Mcvay. Sean said he thought Goff did a nice job in the game against GB and noted a couple dropped passes and a bone head screen call on his part. He said nothing bad about Jarred. At the very end of that interview he was asked if Goff was the QB going forward and he said "he's the quarterback right now" and didn't sound like he was taking shots at him. Sounded to me like they had already known they were trading Goff before that game even happened and he kinda just slipped up and it came out that way. Mcvay handled it fine. Snead on the other hand did not. You're making something out of nothing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Snead was the one making the shitty comment about Goff being the QB "right now" not Mcvay. Sean said he thought Goff did a nice job in the game against GB and noted a couple dropped passes and a bone head screen call on his part. He said nothing bad about Jarred. At the very end of that interview he was asked if Goff was the QB going forward and he said "he's the quarterback right now" and didn't sound like he was taking shots at him. Sounded to me like they had already known they were trading Goff before that game even happened and he kinda just slipped up and it came out that way. Mcvay handled it fine. Snead on the other hand did not. You're making something out of nothing.

Actually, McVay did say that at the postgame press conference.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's just agree to disagree. You hear one thing and I hear another and that's OK. Cheers thirteen
McVay was actually first to not commit to Goff with his QB "right now" statement, then Snead dropped the bombshell a week or so later in his end of the year presser. When he said "anything is possible" in regards to getting out from under Goff's contract. But honestly this shouldn't be the point. Yes McVay was frustrated at the end of last year, and rightfully so. But any new comments made about Stafford, all the praise, all the appreciation for what he brings to the table shouldn't be looked at as hating on Goff. I personally dont even think he had Goff in his mind when making all these comments. Remember he's hosting a podcast with Peter Schrager and being asked tons of different questions and obviously trying to answer honestly. I get why people could think he's putting down Goff given his tone and attitude late last year, but I don't think he's a spiteful person like that. After the Stafford trade was announced, this entire off-season he's done his best to not put Goff down and show appreciation for what he accomplished here in LA. Is he ecstatic to get Stafford and an upgrade at QB? Of course he is but he's not going to go out of his way to shit talk Goff because Goff is a good dude and I think McVay respects that.

dang

Legend
McVays job is to prepare and girls the best football team possible. In his opinion Stafford was a unique opportunity to upgrade the most important position in football. I know the decision was not easy but I am confident he is confident it was the right decision. And how many of us believed Goff was a QB that could lead the Rams towards elite offensive status pushing the Rams to consistent playoff success? He was very good at times but in the last 2 years I know my confidence in Goff leading comebacks or quickly recovering from turnovers was low. Looking forward vs backwards. Go Rams!!!

oldnotdead

Legend
All I see is that the Rams traded for Stafford because he's a better fit for McVay's offense. The Rams IMO basically retarded Goff's development. I see him about a year behind where he should be. McVay set Goff up to fail. He was slow in implementing the OL changes that were clearly needed. He gave him perhaps the worst center in the NFL paired with a RT who couldn't handle speed. He left his incompetent OL coach in place after 2019 proved how bad he was. Now with Stafford all the changes McVay should have made in 2020 have been made with a new OL coach and players that were on the team last year. Any criticism veiled or otherwise of Goff can't exclude McVay's intentional mishandling of things. Oh let's not forget how the Rams did play Shelton with limited game snaps in 2019 so it's not like he didn't have game experience.

McVay is in fact taking a shot at Goff's handling of pressure, yet avoiding his own role in that. He left Blythe in despite clear proof he was substandard. Go back as look at how many times the pressure was so quick no QB could have made a play. Go back and look at how often defenses blitzed the Rams. Why? Because they knew he had a substandard OL in front of him with a center who couldn't make the correct blocking calls. McVay refused to make simple changes to the OL when he had the players on the roster to do so. Simply replacing Blythe with Shelton and Havenstein with Edwards would have changed 2020.

Now McVay simply can focus upon playcalling and not micro-managing his QB. From reports out of Detroit, Goff is much like his old self and hopefully will be able to reach his potential. Holmes has said Goff isn't a bridge QB. That Goff is expected to be their QB going into the future. On the flipside, McVay got his QB and Stafford looks to be a perfect fit for McVay. So yes things ultimately look like it has worked out for both teams. The past is the past and going forward Stafford immediately makes the Rams a Super Bowl contender. The Rams are no longer outmatched at QB. They have a QB who is capable of destroying NFCW defenses. The OL simply has to play well and the Rams have the offensive talent to make games a shootout the opposition can't win.

Most importantly, Stafford gives them a multi-year Super Bowl window and as fans that's all we need to know.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But any new comments made about Stafford, all the praise, all the appreciation for what he brings to the table shouldn't be looked at as hating on Goff. I personally dont even think he had Goff in his mind when making all these comments.

We can go back and forth as to whether it's a fair perception of McVay all day long. At the end of the day, the best way for him to overcome that perception is to win a Super Bowl with Stafford.

Now McVay simply can focus upon playcalling and not micro-managing his QB.

I think this is fair. But I hope down the road when McVay has to develop a QB from scratch - which will likely happen at some point given that Stafford is a 12-year veteran - he will have the requisite patience and learn from some of the mistakes he made with Goff, many of which you mentioned in your post. There won't always be a guy like Stafford available for trade if the next guy struggles, and at some point, he's going to have to help a guy get over the hump. I don't want him to be like Gruden, who has never really developed anybody at QB.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I think all of this started when Wolford had to start for us. To me there was a night and day difference in how their defense played once Wolford went down and Goff came in. They had to respect Wolfords ability to make plays off schedule and be sure to keep him contained due to him being a running threat. When Goff came in they just sent guys after him on every play knowing to beat Jarred you have to keep him from getting comfortable and getting into a rythm. I think Mcvay noticed the hesitation from the other teams defense when Wolford was in and that made him think that maybe it'll be easier to get a more mobile QB that's less affected by pressure than it will be to change other areas to put Goff in a position to become comfortable so that he can do what he did in 2017 and 2018. I think moving forward mobility and ability to make plays off schedule will be some of the things McVay looks for when scouting QBs.