How McVay evaluates QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
This is very interesting..

Tano

Legend
Yeah I even had issues with Goff not getting with his teammates on the sideline enough.

I like his even handedness when things weren't going well but he definitely needed to improve his sideline interactions with the offense on the sideline.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll have to listen to this podcast because at face value from the tweets, it's not a good look on McVay IMO

Psycho_X

Legend
I'll have to listen to this podcast because at face value from the tweets, it's not a good look on McVay IMO

It's not a good look that he sees the great QBs as the ones who can be creative to find success in a play that does not go as scheduled/planned? I don't think that's any big deviation from what most people think.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not a good look that he sees the great QBs as the ones who can be creative to find success in a play that does not go as scheduled/planned? I don't think that's any big deviation from what most people think.
Well, like I said, I'll need to hear it for myself, but there is a fine line between pouring accolades on the new QB and shit talking the QB who was shown the door

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
It didn't sound like he was talking bad about Goff tbh. It could be taken that way but I don't think we should read too much into what Sean was saying. Aikman seemed like maybe he was talking about Goff but don't know for sure. It sucks that Sean can't talk about Stafford without it coming off as a knock on Goff whether its intended to be like that or not. Every compliment to #9 isn't a shot at #16 even though it will come off that way. But it's easy to think that and that's just the way it is and how it will be for awhile.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah I even had issues with Goff not getting with his teammates on the sideline enough.

I like his even handedness when things weren't going well but he definitely needed to improve his sideline interactions with the offense on the sideline.

Based on what? There are tons of mic'd up and stuff that shows Goff on the sidelines talking to guys, pumping them up, etc. He wasn't a raw raw screaming guy, but by all means he seemed to be on the sidelines talking to guys quite a bit.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, like I said, I'll need to hear it for myself, but there is a fine line between pouring accolades on the new QB and shit talking the QB who was shown the door

But he's asked how he scouts QBs and he gives an honest opinion. Not sure how that translates to shitting on Goff. I understand media and fans will translate it themselves into that because its the first thing they'll think about. I think if people takes what he says that way then it's something they associate with Goff themselves.

*McVay thinks Stafford is better than Goff ≠ every good thing he says about a QB as something Goff was bad at.*

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It didn't sound like he was talking bad about Goff tbh. It could be taken that way but I don't think we should read too much into what Sean was saying. Aikman seemed like maybe he was talking about Goff but don't know for sure. It sucks that Sean can't talk about Stafford without it coming off as a knock on Goff whether its intended to be like that or not. Every compliment to #9 isn't a shot at #16 even though it will come off that way. But it's easy to think that and that's just the way it is and how it will be for awhile.

It may suck, but then again, with the public posture he and Snead took with Goff starting with the end of the Green Bay game, he earned that perception.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But he's asked how he scouts QBs and he gives an honest opinion. Not sure how that translates to shitting on Goff. I understand media and fans will translate it themselves into that because its the first thing they'll think about. I think if people takes what he says that way then it's something they associate with Goff themselves.

*McVay thinks Stafford is better than Goff ≠ every good thing he says about a QB as something Goff was bad at.*
Agreed. There is nothing sinister in McVay's words. I get that some are still pissed about Goff being moved but that doesn't mean that McVay can't be excited about his choice of QB going forward. He was asked a question and answered it. It is what it is. Just like the QB change.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
It may suck, but then again, with the public posture he and Snead took with Goff starting with the end of the Green Bay game, he earned that perception.
I respect your opinion thirteen but I didn't think it was as bad as alot of people thought. McVay was just being honest and calling out one of his players that he thought could've performed better. He praises players when they do good things so I expect him to call players out that's not living up to his standards. You take the good with the bad. Snead on the other hand with his smart remarks about Goff still being on the team as of now was wrong. Everyone knew what he actually meant and that shouldve stayed confidential. But that's just my opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It doesn’t bother me. He was asked a question and answered it. If it hurtsGoff’s feelings then Jarred either should have put in more work or, he just isn’t the guy to do what McVay needs. He’s a grown up. I’m sure Jarred has moved on, unlike many of his fans.

Tano

Legend
Based on what? There are tons of mic'd up and stuff that shows Goff on the sidelines talking to guys, pumping them up, etc. He wasn't a raw raw screaming guy, but by all means he seemed to be on the sidelines talking to guys quite a bit.
To be honest, I really only look at the plays on the ALL 22, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this.

This was just based on what I heard about Goff from announcers (who are extremely biased - I really should have turned off the sound when Aikman was talking about Goff) and fans on boards who didn't like Goff.

bluecoconuts

Legend
To be honest, I really only look at the plays on the ALL 22, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut on this.

This was just based on what I heard about Goff from announcers (who are extremely biased - I really should have turned off the sound when Aikman was talking about Goff) and fans on boards who didn't like Goff.

It's not your fault, the announcers do tend to talk shit, and the narrative in general surrounding Goff is poor, and while he fell short, it's undeserved IMO. I've seen a lot of fans elsewhere jump on the "Goff is bad" train with the "Goof" narrative, which again, I think is a bit.. Well it's a really shitty way to repay a guy who brought us into relevancy. McVay may be the coach, but Goff did the work, threw the passes and won the games. Games like the Vikings TNF, and the Chiefs MNF were Goff at his peak, and he was damn good. Goff is the reason we made it to the SB, the run game in the NFCCG was shite.

It reminds me of Dustin Brown for the LA Kings. Fans and the media would shit on him because he was rather soft spoken, and he wasn't their best player. He captained the team to two Stanley Cups though, the first (and only I believe) American to do it twice. He had a down year, they tore the "C" off him and gave their letters to their most skilled players, and the Kings haven't sniffed the playoffs since. Brown didn't have a leadership problem, I don't think Goff did either.

I'm still excited for Stafford, because I don't think he has one either, and I do think he's probably able to command a room better than Goff, just because of how he is, but I'll always be thankful for what Jared did, on and off the field. Also Jared has the hottest partner in the league, so he'll always have that.

Tano

Legend
It's not your fault, the announcers do tend to talk shit, and the narrative in general surrounding Goff is poor, and while he fell short, it's undeserved IMO. I've seen a lot of fans elsewhere jump on the "Goff is bad" train with the "Goof" narrative, which again, I think is a bit.. Well it's a really shitty way to repay a guy who brought us into relevancy. McVay may be the coach, but Goff did the work, threw the passes and won the games. Games like the Vikings TNF, and the Chiefs MNF were Goff at his peak, and he was damn good. Goff is the reason we made it to the SB, the run game in the NFCCG was shite.

It reminds me of Dustin Brown for the LA Kings. Fans and the media would shit on him because he was rather soft spoken, and he wasn't their best player. He captained the team to two Stanley Cups though, the first (and only I believe) American to do it twice. He had a down year, they tore the "C" off him and gave their letters to their most skilled players, and the Kings haven't sniffed the playoffs since. Brown didn't have a leadership problem, I don't think Goff did either.

I'm still excited for Stafford, because I don't think he has one either, and I do think he's probably able to command a room better than Goff, just because of how he is, but I'll always be thankful for what Jared did, on and off the field. Also Jared has the hottest partner in the league, so he'll always have that

As you know, I am one of Goff's biggest supporters and am extremely thankful for what he did. I too feel that he got a bad deal from the fans and media. Those 3 games were what made me a big believer in Goff. I still watch the KC game from time to time.

As to his girlfriend, she is definitely hot. Imho I feel McVay's girlfriend is hotter but they are both two of the hottest women in the world.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because he hasnt scouted a QB for the Rams yet. Inherited Mannion and Goff, chose to re-sign Goff, which I suppose means he would have scouted him.