How many losses will it take before they bench Blythe & Havenstein?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying it for months. This is on Kromer! Blythe and Havenstein are scrubs and have no business starting. Blythe has proved beyond all doubt he's not a OG or Center. Rob can't handle speed especially on the outside. Bench both NOW!!

Corbett is clearly the LG they want. It's why they traded for him and he played better than Blythe ever has so let him continue to start at LG. Time to start Shelton at Center because Blythe is too much of a turnstile. Edwards, lack of polish is showing. He struggled on occasion at LG but it was on full display when they targeted him. Time to sign Brewer to the active roster and start him at RG. It's time to start Evans at RT and bench Rob.

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Shelton
RG Brewer
RT Evans

Swings, Havenstein & Demby (who has outplayed Blythe to date)

Blythe has played worse than Demby has and that is clear. IMO they should just cut Blythe as he's a liability at any position and that was made very very clear in this game. His blown block caused the so called fumble that is the losing difference. No hiding it or excuses anymore he needs to be benched.

IMO this is on Kromer who reviews all the plays every game. If he can't see it then he needs to go as well. He's been slow in changing the blocking scheme when it was clear the outside zone wasn't working. He's kept Blythe and Havenstein as starters even though he can see beyond any doubt they were scrubs. He's the o-line and run offense coordinator. It's his responsibility for the failures.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think Havenstein would look a lot better if the interior line play beside him was not so poor. Although he needs to be much, much better. Ditto for Whitworth. Although Big Whit is playing much better than our other linemen.

We only have so many bodies. I doubt either gets benched this year. Don't see how it would make us better, either. Plus, they just paid Hav.

I am concerned about how to fix this oline going forward with no draft capital or cap room. Perhaps they just hope the young guys improve. Quite possible. And I certainly would expect some organic improvements from this group, as rookie o-line players in particular can take time to come into their own. But complacency with this group would be a very risky and poor strategy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
i’ll just say, with the poor OL play, along with, not having complimentary, or compensatory play calling. Season over. Goff, can’t seem to adjust to this. Isn’t showing he can compete, while under pressure, which is all he did at Cal.

The refs were absolutely horrible in this game, but that is no excuse.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I think Havenstein would look a lot better if the interior line play beside him was not so poor. Although he needs to be much, much better. Ditto for Whitworth. Although Big Whit is playing much better than our other linemen.

We only have so many bodies. I doubt either gets benched this year. Don't see how it would make us better, either. Plus, they just paid Hav.

I am concerned about how to fix this oline going forward with no draft capital or cap room. Perhaps they just hope the young guys improve. Quite possible. And I certainly would expect some organic improvements from this group, as rookie o-line players in particular can take time to come into their own. But complacency with this group would be a very risky and poor strategy.
I got roundly criticized for being against the Ramsey trade for just this reason. We gave up draft capital and cap space in the belief our OL coach can make silk out of sows ears.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All of them because the alternatives are worse.

And the Ramsey trade was worth it.

Pretty sure our current woes are going to make both Fowler and Brockers expendable as Snead tries to cobble together an OL in the off-season because these guys ain't it which is a shame.

/shrug. The pressure's off. Just not our year. And we can start talking about the draft...because we're not going 6-1 down the stretch with this OL and it's gonna take at least 11-5 with some tie breaker help to get in.

Oh well.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I got roundly criticized for being against the Ramsey trade for just this reason. We gave up draft capital and cap space in the belief our OL coach can make silk out of sows ears.
The Rams were forced to make the trade bc of Talibs injury. Look at Peter's stats when Talib was not there. If it was still Peter's and Hill this season we would not have even been competitive these last few games.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
The Rams were forced to make the trade bc of Talibs injury. Look at Peter's stats when Talib was not there. If it was still Peter's and Hill this season we would not have even been competitive these last few games.
Not forced. Regardless of Peters and Talib status. We gave up premium capital this year and is starting to look useless, We have no guarentee Ramseys signs amd the way we are playing maybe he does not.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Not forced. Regardless of Peters and Talib status. We gave up premium capital this year and is starting to look useless, We have no guarentee Ramseys signs amd the way we are playing maybe he does not.
We needed a CB though. If anything Cooks and Higbees contracts (cooks was paid top money before even playing a snap and higbee was trade bait the season before) are more hindering bc they are more expendable than Ramsey. As for Ramsey not staying...that's a possibility, but IMO with an oline like ours, its probably better to have some part of your team dominant enough to keep you in games.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I've been saying it for months. This is on Kromer! Blythe and Havenstein are scrubs and have no business starting. Blythe has proved beyond all doubt he's not a OG or Center. Rob can't handle speed especially on the outside. Bench both NOW!!

Corbett is clearly the LG they want. It's why they traded for him and he played better than Blythe ever has so let him continue to start at LG. Time to start Shelton at Center because Blythe is too much of a turnstile. Edwards, lack of polish is showing. He struggled on occasion at LG but it was on full display when they targeted him. Time to sign Brewer to the active roster and start him at RG. It's time to start Evans at RT and bench Rob.

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Shelton
RG Brewer
RT Evans

Swings, Havenstein & Demby (who has outplayed Blythe to date)

Blythe has played worse than Demby has and that is clear. IMO they should just cut Blythe as he's a liability at any position and that was made very very clear in this game. His blown block caused the so called fumble that is the losing difference. No hiding it or excuses anymore he needs to be benched.

IMO this is on Kromer who reviews all the plays every game. If he can't see it then he needs to go as well. He's been slow in changing the blocking scheme when it was clear the outside zone wasn't working. He's kept Blythe and Havenstein as starters even though he can see beyond any doubt they were scrubs. He's the o-line and run offense coordinator. It's his responsibility for the failures.
34EB22D2-CE72-4DCF-9ABC-B35E11D85425.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We saw how this OL looks without Havenstein. Spoiler, it was worse. Havenstein has infuriated me this year, but frankly, we should be doing more to help him with a guy like T.J. Watt. But we're a much worse OL without him. Barring a miracle, I don't see us solving this OL this season. It would take Evans and Corbett stepping up in a major way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well first off I do love this coaching staff, think the world of them. But they are definitely SLOW to make changes when necessary. They endure terrible play for far too long and did so with multiple examples and some of them glaring.

Blythe has been killing this line this entire season. I'm to the point where I don't even want to look at the film as it's the same BS over and over again. He's a great guy, not his fault, but he's just not good enough. And yes Havenstein is a liability and has been the entire season. Once the word gets out (which it is now) that your RT can be beat with a speed rush that's what he sees. Or that your OG can be beat with power consistently, stunts often, and speed often, well hell.

IMO McVay's one weakness is that decisiveness with play time. He's a young head coach, and a fine one too, so I'm not lighting him on fire here. But he has to improve on that. I don't care if it's a vet if a guy isn't doing the job you look for the next man up and keep pushing ahead.

My changes...

1. Havenstein needs to go inside to OG now. Not in four games. Now. He is a powerful blocker who will win inside in the run game and do reasonably well in pass pro.

2. Evans goes to RT. He has better feet than Hav and will get beat but we're already getting beat so it's time.

3. Line should be Whit // Edwards // Blythe // Havenstein // Evans. If Allen returns and is healthy, replace Blythe with him I think both are subpar key is ensuring both OG spots are as strong as possible which this line provides.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I, hated that one injury, led to 3 OL changes. No way can you adapt to that during a game. Not a great plan. Certainly not a plan for success.

fearsomefour

Legend
We saw how this OL looks without Havenstein. Spoiler, it was worse. Havenstein has infuriated me this year, but frankly, we should be doing more to help him with a guy like T.J. Watt. But we're a much worse OL without him. Barring a miracle, I don't see us solving this OL this season. It would take Evans and Corbett stepping up in a major way.
I agree.
It was obvious early (in reality going back to last year) Havenstein can’t hang with a speed rusher who can get low.
It’s just a bizarre oversight to not give him help.
Rinse and repeat vs Mack.
Assuming Allen is going to be out for a bit I would play Corbett and Edwards at G. If Havenstein cant go then Edwards to RT with Shelton playing at RG.
I would not move Havenstein to G.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Well first off I do love this coaching staff, think the world of them. But they are definitely SLOW to make changes when necessary. They endure terrible play for far too long and did so with multiple examples and some of them glaring.

Blythe has been killing this line this entire season. I'm to the point where I don't even want to look at the film as it's the same BS over and over again. He's a great guy, not his fault, but he's just not good enough. And yes Havenstein is a liability and has been the entire season. Once the word gets out (which it is now) that your RT can be beat with a speed rush that's what he sees. Or that your OG can be beat with power consistently, stunts often, and speed often, well hell.

IMO McVay's one weakness is that decisiveness with play time. He's a young head coach, and a fine one too, so I'm not lighting him on fire here. But he has to improve on that. I don't care if it's a vet if a guy isn't doing the job you look for the next man up and keep pushing ahead.

My changes...

1. Havenstein needs to go inside to OG now. Not in four games. Now. He is a powerful blocker who will win inside in the run game and do reasonably well in pass pro.

2. Evans goes to RT. He has better feet than Hav and will get beat but we're already getting beat so it's time.

3. Line should be Whit // Edwards // Blythe // Havenstein // Evans. If Allen returns and is healthy, replace Blythe with him I think both are subpar key is ensuring both OG spots are as strong as possible which this line provides.
I agree but I think you keep Blythe In at center. Blythe has proven he is decent at center while Allen has been the worst center in the league since starting.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Hav has always struggled with speed, no? Shouldve given the guy some help. Five routes down field are worthless if the QB can't set to throw.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This OL is looking like that merry-go-round that we experimented with during those last few games of 2016 when Bones stepped in for Fisher. At least he tried to make something happen, but it wasn't meant to be. He moved Havenstein to RG, tried Greg Robinson, Andrew Donnal & Jamon Brown at RT, then Saffold & Brown at LT, and Wichmann & Donnal at RG, ... all along with that stud Tim Barnes at Center. McVay must of had a good laugh when watching the tape on those guys, although he may not be laughing now. Havenstein didn't look good at RG, but then again, no-one looked good during this period of musical chairs. The good news is that we aren't 2016 bad, yet, ... but it sure ain't pretty.

Many of us thought that it was a godsend when Edwards successfully stepped in for the injured and out of position Noteboom, we can only hope now that the Allen/Havenstein injury replacements will offer a similar story. If the Rams can put together a reasonable OL made up of those early hopefuls from camp, if nothing else we should get a jump on 2020. I'm no longer listening to this seasons play-off kool-aid drinkers, but I would like to see some creativity in gearing towards our future path. Swapping positions at the beginning of the game between Blythe & Edwards was more bizarre than creative imo.
I'm guessing that Blythe will remain at Center because we may not have anyone else that knows the signals and can read the line while getting everyone in their place.
What I'd like to see against Chicago :

LT - Whitworth
LG - Edwards
C - Blythe
RG - Brewer
RT - Evans

Corbett is my first guy off the bench for the interior OL. If Evans fails and Edwards must move to RT, then Corbett to LG.

If Demby's name is even brought up, ... we riot !

jmo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Hate to say it, but I’m wondering if we need to bite the bullet in 2020 and say that both Fowler and Littleton need to be sacrificed in order to sign two quality OL.

I dunno, I just don’t see how this team can field a decent OL next year without making major sacrifices.

I recognize that both Fowler and Littleton are having monster years and I’d hate to see them go. But how on earth are we gonna get our O back on track if the OL is a disaster?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hav has always struggled with speed, no? Shouldve given the guy some help. Five routes down field are worthless if the QB can't set to throw.

i was almost covering my eyes every time goff moved back into his stance to throw the ball. pocket qbs can't operate like that. it's not rocket science.