How does McVay fix this?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
But didn't Martz take over a good team? McVay turned the team around.

Martz was the mastermind of the GSOT and one of the big reasons vermiel retired was because Martz was going to have his choice of NFL jobs in 2000. So no, Martz was a part of the turn around.. in some eyes the biggest reason for the turn around.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
oHHHHH NO, you are petite 24/7! EVen when, well you know :)
Your first sentence is the standard go to male life saving line. Your second sentence might lead to your skull getting crushed with the cast iron pan. It is a shame females don't come with an instruction manual.:banghead:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Martz McVay said in an interview earlier in the season that he kind of stumbled onto the success of the 11 personal group and the way in which he used it to keep defenses on their toes and guessing. He didn't feel we had the assets to run his offense. ( I heard this on his Monday evening coach show and I am paraphrasing ).

This season we will see him adjust and only then will we know what we have for sure.

Detroit was the game in my eyes where we saw teams adjust and figure out how to slow us down. After the Detroit game we won on supreme talent or for the most part found ourselves struggling more than we had most of the season.

I understand starting the Bowl in the 11 and seeing how we match up. N.E gave up 6.7 ypc to ZRS system teams in the 11 and 3.5ish to teams in the 12 on the season so it made sense.

I am not going to get into the breakdown of our failure my boy @jrry32 has done a great job with it and as a boss of many employees when we fail it is because my plan and my adjustments or my inability to get assets in the right place has caused it. It's on me that is how I believe, how it is and how it should be.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
A theory that I'm working on --

Maybe McVay is a genius counter puncher more than a good puncher. The Rams seem to have done bad in first encounters against "good" defenses:

Like was mentioned above, the 2017 Vikings shut down the Rams.
Also in 2017, the first time the Rams faced the healthy Seahawks, the Rams only scored 10 points.
This year, first encounter against the Bears, it was ugly.
First time against the Patriots . . . .
The Rams were even held in check against not-so-good defenses -- e.g., the Rams' slooooowwww starts against the Raiders and their new defense and against the Packers and their defense that was changed up for the Rams.

McVay's genius seems to come out in the rematch -- like this year's rematch against the Vikings and the second meeting against the Hawks in 2017 (or the second halves against the Raiders and Packers). When McVay's given tape and time to study, it's been devastating. So, yeah, McVay will find "the fix", if any is needed, after obsessing over the film. Shoot, he could, if he wanted to, probably bounce ideas off Peyton Manning who's spent time in the building and around the Rams.

Edit: Heck, to a degree, play action is a counter to an over-aggressive run defense, and the screen is a counter to an over-aggressive pass rush -- both of which type of plays, McVay emphasized.

McVay as genius counterpuncher? I think we'll find out more next year after the Rams destroy the Bears and if the Rams are shut down by the Ravens.

Last edited:

Liberator

Pro Bowler

Maybe McVay is a genius counter puncher more than a good puncher. The Rams seem to have done bad in first encounters against "good" defenses:

Also in 2017, the first time the Rams faced the healthy Seahawks, the Rams only scored 10 points.
The Rams were even held in check against not-so-good defenses -- e.g., the Rams' slooooowwww starts against the Raiders and their new defense and against the Packers and their defense that was changed up for the Rams.

McVay's genius seems to come out in the rematch -- like this year's rematch against the Vikings and the second meeting against the Hawks in 2017 (or the second halves against the Raiders and Packers). When McVay's given tape and time to study, it's been devastating. So, yeah, McVay will find "the fix", if any is needed, after obsessing over the film. Shoot, he could, if he wanted to, probably bounce ideas off Peyton Manning who's spent time in the building and around the Rams.

Edit: Heck, to a degree, play action is a counter to an over-aggressive run defense, and the screen is a counter to an over-aggressive pass rush -- both of which type of plays, McVay emphasized.

McVay as genius counterpuncher? I think we'll find out more next year after the Rams destroy the Bears and if the Rams are shut down by the Ravens.

Yep I think this is true. I also think that being able to adapt in game will come with time. He's only 33 folks.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Martz McVay said in an interview earlier in the season that he kind of stumbled onto the success of the 11 personal group and the way in which he used it to keep defenses on their toes and guessing. He didn't feel we had the assets to run his offense. ( I heard this on his Monday evening coach show and I am paraphrasing ).

This season we will see him adjust and only then will we know what we have for sure.

Detroit was the game in my eyes where we saw teams adjust and figure out how to slow us down. After the Detroit game we won on supreme talent or for the most part found ourselves struggling more than we had most of the season.

I understand starting the Bowl in the 11 and seeing how we match up. N.E gave up 6.7 ypc to ZRS system teams in the 11 and 3.5ish to teams in the 12 on the season so it made sense.

I am not going to get into the breakdown of our failure my boy @jrry32 has done a great job with it and as a boss of many employees when we fail it is because my plan and my adjustments or my inability to get assets in the right place has caused it. It's on me that is how I believe, how it is and how it should be.

You actually have that backwards. The pats were one of the best teams against 11 personnel. And towards the bottom in 12. Yes they struggled against the ZRS but they obviously fixed that in the SB. There's a thread on here about all those stats and it's a real eye opener to it being mostly on McVays play calling ...

Malibu

Pro Bowler
To fix this is to be able to score on whoever which means beat the better defenses.

How do you do that analyze the ol and determine if an upgrade is needed. We really had trouble with the better defenses.

Off-season Goff needs to work with someone to up his read capacity and defense LOS alignment.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Did the Pats use the Bears defensive design? On the sidelines I heard McVay say, "It's the Bears defense" in the mic'd up video. If so, then McVay did not do a good job at studying the Bears' film and fixing it. We should have been more prepared.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
You actually have that backwards. The pats were one of the best teams against 11 personnel. And towards the bottom in 12. Yes they struggled against the ZRS but they obviously fixed that in the SB. There's a thread on here about all those stats and it's a real eye opener to it being mostly on McVays play calling ...

I may have read/heard it wrong, it certainly sounded unusual I thought I even read that they struggled with initial contact in the 11. It is possible that the article was wrong but I also heard similar in a radio interview but I listened to so many I don't remember who said it. Either way 11 didn't work on Sunday, Yes unfortunately this loss
lies on Coaches shoulders.
Always next year

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I still have a huge issue bugging me.
I try to get over it... but I can't.

Its not about McVay or the Super Bowl.

Its this thread.

Seriously?
Did McVays success go to our heads? Lol... ffs. The guy is 33 and is already one of the most respected coaches in the league.

Good coaches get beat. Even great ones. Especially young ones.

Like if we lost against NO, this thread doesn't even exist.

I am NOT AT ALL embarrassed about the Super Bowl, never was and I am nothing but thankful that Coach McVay is our coach and that he brought us all the way to the biggest game so fast.

I will take 5 more seasons just like this one before I even want to entertain the idea that there is such a thing as "a bad super bowl".

Sorry. I'm done ranting.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

It is certainly possible. But I hope not. Because facing the AFC in Super Bowls, you can hardly bank on having seen your foe too many times in the past.

Ram65

Legend
McVay has to figure out how to get the Rams offense to play against the aggressive defenses like the Bears and Pats.

My critique is that he didn't have the Rams ready for the Pats defense when he should have expected something like it.

Still with a less than par Gurley and no Kupp he gave the offense some chances. I look forward to seeing what he does with the offense next year.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Did the Pats use the Bears defensive design? On the sidelines I heard McVay say, "It's the Bears defense" in the mic'd up video. If so, then McVay did not do a good job at studying the Bears' film and fixing it. We should have been more prepared.

The good thing is McVay would articulate this even better than us. He will be on this.