How does Cook rank?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Considering he was in a new scheme and had KC throwing for most of his games:

1st on Rams in receptions

1st on Rams in total yards receiving

3rd in the NFL for YPR among TEs with 50 or more receptions

Tied for 12th in TDs amongst TEs but 5th among TEs with 60 or less receptions

Only 1 fumble in 2013 season

Only slightly more than 1 dropped pass every 3 games (.375 per game)

11th among TEs for 1st downs but the average reception to 1st down of every TE with more receptions was 63% whereas Cook was 66%.

26th among ALL receivers with 50 or more receptions for YPR.

I was disappointed in Cook the first third of the season after game 1 because of my high hopes. However, I now look at him as a huge asset for Bradford.

He may be overpaid (we'll see this season) and he may not be elite (we'll see this season), but he was very very good in the NFL in 2013.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm pretty surprised at those stats. I really didn't think he did all that. He did it pretty pedestrian like and under the radar to me.

11th among TEs for 1st downs but the average reception to 1st down of every TE with more receptions was 63% whereas Cook was 66%.

I was disappointed in Cook the first third of the season after game 1 because of my high hopes. However, I now look at him as a huge asset for Bradford.

He may be overpaid (we'll see this season) and he may not be elite (we'll see this season), but he was very very good in the NFL in 2013.

You forgot second amongst TEs in drops of catchable balls, with one in every 7.4 targets.

A55VA6

Legend
Not too bad. I'm hoping for a big leap this year though. Bradford likes throwing to his TE's, so Cook is going to have to come up big. If Cook and our WR's like Austin and Bailey can produce at a high level with a good running game I'd feel pretty good about the season. I have a feeling the defense is going to be special. We just need the offensive production.

fearsomefour

Legend
To me he is an outstanding athlete but not a complete player, he needs to be put in situations to succeed. There were times he seemed lost during games, he lacks a feel for the game it seems. His speed also ramps up. Doesn't have great explosion off the line....not surprising given his size. While very athletic he seems stiff to me at times.
On the positive side his blocking improved considerably as the season went on. That may have been getting comfortable in the scheme and knowing his role and working on some technical things.
If the Rams are truly a run first, run second, play D kind of team they seriously overpaid for Cook.
Again a lot of his ongoing success will depend on Schottenheimer.
When the Rams only had Jackson it was easy to game plan Im sure.
It must be a little more difficult when have very different offensive talent to attempt to use.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He did better than many people think, but that said he has a lot more to give. He can be dominate if he wants it and the Rams put him into position to succeed.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You forgot second amongst TEs in drops of catchable balls, with one in every 7.4 targets.

I also forgot he set a franchise record for a TE in receiving yards and catches over 25 yards.

He averaged 1.67 yards per route ran. That's 5th in the NFL amongst TEs.

In the slot, against TEs that ran the slot at least 25% of the time, he ranked 4th in yards per route ran.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some people think he was a bust of a signing, and I cannot wrap my head around it. Expectations were a little too high with some people I suppose. o_O

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Some people think he was a bust of a signing, and I cannot wrap my head around it. Expectations were a little too high with some people I suppose. o_O
I think that's about right. A lot of hype around the physical specimen aspect, and his history had a lot of us saying "what if?!"
I think there's still room to grow, but Jimmy Graham he is not.

I think I was always going to look at the contract, 5th highest paid TE ($0.4m off 2nd) and be disappointed with a player I don't trust to catch catchable balls.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that's about right. A lot of hype around the physical specimen aspect, and his history had a lot of us saying "what if?!"
I think there's still room to grow, but Jimmy Graham he is not.

We should note that this was easily his best season in the NFL and that was with KC. It seemed to me he became more consistent later in the season.

The jury is still out but I think he will flourish this season. I would definitely take him as my 2nd TE in fantasy or even 1st TE if he dropped.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Also forgot he played with a back up QB in 9 of 16 games in a new offense that threw fewer than 20 passes a game and a bunch of those TE opportunities to Kendricks. :rolleyes:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Future forward, he needs to stop dropping passes!!!