How did the Cowboy game meet your expectations?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my thumbnail sketch.

Speaking strictly for myself...

I didn't expect dominance. Certainly not GSOT type of an O.

But I did expect improvement.

And I got it from the D. The "Wade influence" is already apparent. Fewer mistakes. Fewer penalties. Better tackling. Better schemes. Wade has still got "it". No worries on D for me. Heck, they're only gonna get better and better as they gel together.

ST is still top drawer, it seems. Not improved so much, just still top drawer. No worries there, either.

So, both of those units looked pretty much as I had expected. Maybe slightly better in the case of Wade's D, tbh.

The O? There was some good and some bad. I expected better. Mostly better from our OL. Specifically JB and all the backup OL players. Wanted to see improvement from Gurley after all the raves from camp reporters and beat writers, but I certainly didn't get it.

I wasn't particularly impressed by either Mannion or Orlovsky. Especially Orlovsky. If Goff goes down, I fear that we are in worse shape than I had previously thought.
Goff was improved. I'm reassured there.
I liked Kupp's game, too. Seemed just as advertised.
Everett shows promise, doesn't he? Higbee better watch out if he wants to remain the "starter".
Davis was a very pleasant surprise. Didn't see THAT coming.
Kinda liked Cooper's brief play, too.
Hoped for more from Spruce and McRoberts.
Did Thomas play? If so, it wasn't memorable to me.

All in all, the O was a mixed bag. Wanted to see more Goff. He needs the snaps. And they've gotta bring those fumbles to a screeching halt, of course. That was embarrassing, man.

So, from the vantage point of reviewing after sleeping on it, it wasn't the end of the world, was it? We just definitely have work to do on our O. Specifically the RG starting position and apparently all the backup OL players. Pace Murphy ain't gonna enjoy watching the game film, that's for sure. Lol.

Hope to see O improvement against the Raidahs...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We won.

...and we won against a playoff team.

...and we won against a team that had already played a game this year.

I'm going to give it the same thing I gave my girlfriend last night ...

two thumbs up.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
We won.

...and we won against a playoff team.

...and we won against a team that had already played a game this year.

two thumbs up.

HA. did she really get a pair of thumbs? really?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mostly better from our OL. Specifically JB and all the backup OL players. Wanted to see improvement from Gurley after all the raves from camp reporters and beat writers, but I certainly didn't get it.
Hmmm.....I expected the right side to look like shit...and they did...

Not gonna go into the move of the RT and RG....but that's a problem....and I don't think Brown is either trying as hard or it was a huge overestimation in his talent...he is either too slow...or too weak to be effective on the line.
Did Thomas play? If so, it wasn't memorable to me.
Didn't play...and trust me 43...when he does...you'll notice...

Woods was a huge comedown....I mean....dude....he's just like Kupp, Spruce, and Cooper...with possibly diva-qualities...he just gave up that ball...and did he drop the first pass of the game?...not sure why we traded for him...Shoulda grab Richie Incognito instead.

Defense didn't exceed expectations...they ARE very good....Some of the backup players...and fringe players...Longacre, Price, Fox, Smart...Thompson...Cassanova...Littleton....man! My boy Hagar is gonna get beat out if he doesn't up his game...never heard of #56..he sure played a lot. And not well...Cassanova McKinzy and Carlos Thompson...think Cassanove played edge/OLB and ILB....dude was all over the field...and the DB's:yess::wow:.

One thing this weekend games showed me...There is no way these QB's are "better" than Kaep....not just backups but some starters too...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't particularly impressed by either Mannion or Orlovsky. Especially Orlovsky. If Goff goes down, I fear that we are in worse shape than I had previously thought.

So you say Goff improved based off of 4 throws but you somehow think Mannion got worse. This is what makes me upset some people just refused to even acknowledge what Mannion has done. No I'm not saying he was excellent and I'm not going to make this about Goff vs Mannion but if Goff made those type of throws and had all the issues that Mannion faced the Narrative would have been completely different. And to say that we are in worse position if Goff goes down then you thought just isn't justifiable at least not right now. This was the first preseason game no real game plan and learning a completely new offense. See I don't mind giving Goff praise, but some for the life of them would never say anything positive about Mannion, but that's the life of a backup playing behind a former #1 pick

nighttrain

Legend
So you say Goff improved based off of 4 throws but you somehow think Mannion got worse. This is what makes me upset some people just refused to even acknowledge what Mannion has done. No I'm not saying he was excellent and I'm not going to make this about Goff vs Mannion but if Goff made those type of throws and had all the issues that Mannion faced the Narrative would have been completely different. And to say that we are in worse position if Goff goes down then you thought just isn't justifiable at least not right now. This was the first preseason game no real game plan and learning a completely new offense. See I don't mind giving Goff praise, but some for the life of them would never say anything positive about Mannion, but that's the life of a backup playing behind a former #1 pick
I really liked what I saw of Mannion, we are not dead if something should happen to Goff
train

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Doing fine there Champ until the last paragraph

You really don't believe that's a talent issue do you?

This has already been debated to hells end, fans like me (go ahead and insert a label) support the obvious blackballing...and many others don't

I have a sneaky feeling the NFL is siding with what they perceive as the overwhelming majority of its fan base, while incurring the wrath of the mainstream media.

I actually was impressed with Mannion last night, thought he delivered a few jazzers downfield, sometimes the stat line blurs the overall picture

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The O? There was some good and some bad. I expected better. Mostly better from our OL. Specifically JB and all the backup OL players. Wanted to see improvement from Gurley after all the raves from camp reporters and beat writers, but I certainly didn't get it.
This sums up the offense for me.
Gurley seems to be in self preservation mode. I feel he'll come out of that when the games count.

I really would have liked to see a few shots downfield. It seems like McVay is keeping his offense close to the vest and just wanted to come out the game without any injuries.

Edit:
Also. WAY to many balls put on the ground last night by our pass catchers.
Davis was a mixed bag of excitement. Great burst and vision, followed by coughing up the ball. Ouch

Last edited:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I think there are a few things to consider. First, the offense is going to take time to gel given all the changes in personnel. Add to this a brand new offensive system being installed. Most coaches will tell you it takes more time for the offense to get all players on the same page versus the defense. If you were to compare the playbooks, offensive playbooks are very large compared to a defensive playbook. Honestly, the offense will need more than the preseason to master the new offense. Hopefully we can sneak a couple early wins in the first 3 weeks of the regular season. I think the defense will keep us close, it's a matter of the offense being efficient.

One big issue which has been mentioned by many was the O-Line play, specifically the right side. Regardless this was the first preseason game, Brown and Havenstein have a ways to go, especially in the run game. Brown looked like he was moving in sand, and got blown up at the point of attack more than once, and Havenstein wasn't much better. Kromer has some work to get them playing at a higher level. I still haven't lost faith these two can get it figured out by Week 1.

We saw this last night, but defenses will continue stacking the box to shut down the run and force Goff to beat them. I thought the pass pro was decent, and if we can stretch the field, defenses will be forced to play straight up which should open the run game. Getting Watkins caught up to speed by Week 1 is going to be huge, and getting Austin back will be big too. These two will allow play calling to go beyond the short to intermediate routes.

A few other offensive concerns. First is ball security. We cannot have guys make a great play only to put the ball on the ground. I'm sure it will be a huge focus this week during practices, and it will get cleaned up. Second, our O-Line depth is not real good. Other than Wichmann and Blythe (after the bad snap), it appeared the other lineman struggled. We need to upgrade the O-line depth through other team cuts.

Some positives with the offense. Kupp and Everett are as advertised. I already knew Kupp's resume having watched him play in college. Everett should be starting over Higbee. Davis is a great change of pace back. He is very illusive, but needs to secure the rock, and become a better blocker in the passing game. I''m sure it all gets corrected. Mannion played well. I know some think he struggled, but the O-Line protection didn't help most times. Some of his bad throws are correctable.

Defense played fast, and rallied to the ball. I can't remember the last time our defense forced 3 consecutive three-and-outs. Phillips and Co., have the defense playing hard. Nice to see our secondary not get burned deep and keep everything underneath for short gains. The D-line was strong, and will only get stronger once Quinn gets healthy and the return of AD. Overall, the rookie defensive players played pretty well.

Special teams was very solid. Bones does such a great job. We need to clean up the holding penalties because it just kills momentum when you get backed up to the shadow of your own goalpost. I can't wait to see Shakeir break one to the house.

We should see big improvement between week one and two. Always things to clean up, and get better at. Overall, I was happy with what I saw for their 1st preseason game. They will only continue getting better. Looking forward to seeing Watkins play some next Saturday. Till then... cheers!

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Blythe. But yeah we need a change at that spot. I liked Brown coming out and I'm surprised he isn't better in the run blocking game.
I mixed them up.
Brown just hasn't been doing it. maybe he's still not 100% healthy.IDK

Tano

Legend
On Davis fumbling, did you notice after the second fumble that he started using both hands to hold onto the ball when getting tackled. On both fumbles it looked like he was trying to move the ball from one hand to the other and messed up both times. I think this is an easy fix for him. I don't remember him having a horrible fumbling problem while at USC.

nighttrain

Legend
On Davis fumbling, did you notice after the second fumble that he started using both hands to hold onto the ball when getting tackled. On both fumbles it looked like he was trying to move the ball from one hand to the other and messed up both times. I think this is an easy fix for him. I don't remember him having a horrible fumbling problem while at USC.
good pickup and with a bit work, think Davis will be a great change of pace back
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And they've gotta bring those fumbles to a screeching halt, of course.

To be fair I think the balls where slippery because there were 9 fumbles in this game.

I'll give them that too.

brand.gif

Shoulda grab Richie Incognito instead.

Gotta give the guy credit, he really rebounded from the steaming mess he was. I think he finally got on the right medication and got some good counseling. Missing a season and a half may have got him to grow up.

First, the offense is going to take time to gel given all the changes in personnel. Add to this a brand new offensive system being installed

Yeah you are exactly right..........we probably won't see these guys really clicking until at least a few games into the season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About Mannion.

There was some speculation that I read about the Rams possibly wanting to showcase Mannion for a possible trade ala the Bills with Watkins for the Rams.

If so, it probably backfired. Lol.

And am I the only one shuddering at the thought of starting Orlovsky if Goff is out with injury?

All the more reasons for finishing that OL pronto. I'm looking at you, Jamon.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Hmmm.....I expected the right side to look like crap...and they did...
I don't think Brown is either trying as hard or it was a huge overestimation in his talent...he is either too slow...or too weak to be effective on the line.
#88 Didn't play...and trust me 43...when he does...you'll notice...

You crack me up @LACHAMP46 ... You are a big fan of defensive football and yet your history with Brian Quick and now your faith in Mike Thomas (just happens to be your current avatar) is interesting. I'm not knocking you at all and I think it's a unique twist to your character (y)

SEE YOU IN..................
Week%205%20T1.png

636356498469092042-USP-NFL-Los-Angeles-Rams-OTA.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I wouldnt mind Krapondick playing for another team, since he single handedly gave the Rams wins when we played the whiners in previous years, last years Rams gave him the win, but no way in hell is he better than Mannion.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brown just hasn't been doing it. maybe he's still not 100% healthy.IDK
You know.....I know....we all know....this is the guy we've seen for 2 seasons....I'm seeing a guy that refuses to engage DT's and has given them a direct line to the backfield on numerous occasions....Remember the reason McVay said he wanted to try Havenstein at guard??? Hell, is that still a problem, cause Brown did the same things as last year...and got no movement in the running game which is even worse...We need to run the ball...We are a play-action passing team.
I don't remember him having a horrible fumbling problem while at USC.
yes he did....before #25 replaced him as a starter, he was fumbling. He's had issues for 2 seasons.

You are a big fan of defensive football and yet your history with Brian Quick
Yeah....I'm like that....LOL
Mike Thomas can play.

Oh yeah, B. Quick.....3 catches-20 yards....reminded me of a rich mans Robert Woods....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL