How did Johnson not make the probowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He should be, maybe he will still get in, he deserves it. Sometimes, the Pro Bowl is a year behind. Also, better teams, tend to get the nod.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As posted in another thread, Trumaine Johnson has the lowest QB rating against in the entire league at something like 49.6. It's late and I just know it was just under 50, the only one.

Richard Sherman, btw, was over 70...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Janoris Jenkins was better than Trumaine Johnson this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What makes you think so? TruJo gave up a few more passes, but he also made a lot more game changing plays.

QBs didn't throw Jenkins's way most of the year. They avoided him like the plague. To me, that's more impressive than racking up INTs. We all knew Jenkins can pick passes off but what we didn't know coming into the year was that Jenkins could consistently shut his man down in coverage.

Plus, Jenkins usually sees the #1 WR in our scheme.

Not to belittle what Trumaine did but I saw him as more of a great #2 CB this year while Janoris was the great #1 CB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
love the INTs but, IMO Jenkins is the better player. I read a quote somewhere that Wilson rarely targeted Jenkins for the 2nd time this year. And the only game I can think of that was bad for Jenkins was the Bengal game.

I agree. Jenkins generally keeps the targets down.

That said, I trust Johnson more OFF the field. Particularly with a payday in his pocket.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Not to belittle what Trumaine did but I saw him as more of a great #2 CB this year while Janoris was the great #1 CB.

People make too much of that distinction, IMO. Many teams don't have a true no. 1 WR and those that do move them around. So unless the Rams employ a shadow corner, and they don't very often, our corners don't face the same guys on every play.

Saw a stat that said JJ faced the opposition's top receiver on 40% of plays in 2014. That is a high percentage for a corner. There are only a few who were even at 50%. I don't know about 2015 but I'm guessing it's about the same.

I don't think of them as 1 and 2. They're both fourth year pros who matured and complement each other very well. TJ keeps making QBs pay for throwing in his direction and if he keeps that up, they'll start shying away from him, too.

TexasRam

Legend
If we could only find a way to re-sign our secondary guys in the off season our D will be even greater

The dropoff from Gaines to Joyner is... In my best trump voice:

Huuuuuuge!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
QBs didn't throw Jenkins's way most of the year. They avoided him like the plague. To me, that's more impressive than racking up INTs. We all knew Jenkins can pick passes off but what we didn't know coming into the year was that Jenkins could consistently shut his man down in coverage.

Plus, Jenkins usually sees the #1 WR in our scheme.

Jenks doesn't flip-flop when Tru is playing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not sure if any of you listen to Sirius. I always tune in to listen to Kirwan in the afternoon and was listening after the Pro Bowl rosters were announced and he was discussing how many players get so angry after they don't make it that they're not worth much in the remainder of the regular season schedule. He mentioned how many staffs around the league hate it because of that effect, where it causes them more work in getting guys heads screwed on straight.

Anyway. It occurred to me while I was listening that the Rams don't seem to have guys like that. Jenks and Tru are two good examples I think. Both of those guys are good enough to go, IMO, if the Rams had a better record.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenks doesn't flip-flop when Tru is playing.

Usually not. That's true. We've had him shadow #1 WRs a few times but it's not typical. But his side sees the #1 WR more often IIRC. Which is why we have Jenkins on that side and Tru on the other. I think highly of Tru but the Rams see Jenkins as the #1 guy. And ultimately, if it comes down to it, I think he'll get the tag this off-season and not Tru. But I'm hoping we'll keep both.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
JJ would be better than TJ if he would stop blowing coverages. Until he does that and becomes more consistent he is not as good of a CB. I'd feel pretty confidant with TJ and EJ at corner next year.