How Bad Was 2011?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

From another site, didn't verify everything, but sounds about right.

"in 2011, the Rams lost 10 CBs, started gimpy D-linemen in Hall and Robbins, had to replace and/or reshuffle the entire starting OL, lost 3 different qbs to injuries, and according to Football Outsiders had the single most injured offense of the entire decade back to 2002."

* I like this stat for those that would attribute a disproportionate amount of blame to Bradford for some of his early losing seasons.

PhxRam

"in 2011, the Rams lost 10 CBs, started gimpy D-linemen in Hall and Robbins, had to replace and/or reshuffle the entire starting OL, lost 3 different qbs to injuries, and according to Football Outsiders had the single most injured offense of the entire decade back to 2002."

* I like this stat for those that would attribute a disproportionate amount of blame to Bradford for some of his early losing seasons.

The Oline in particluar. It never ceases to amaze me how often our line is injured.

iced

thought it was like 14 corners on IR....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1/320 chance of having the most injured offense of the decade.

Not sure if it was partially an issue with the strength and conditioning coach, but I think Spagnuolo did fire the longtime coach. A lot of people can get swept aside in a regime change, but it sounded like that was a particularly unpleasant one to work under.

Ramifications

The Oline in particluar. It never ceases to amaze me how often our line is injured.

Maybe in part, once Martz, Linehan and Spags (not to mention the thing with two heads Zygmunt/Shaw and Devaney) nosedived the talent base straight into the ground, we were invariably facing more talented teams and (to quote Dennis Miller) getting stomped like narcs at a biker rally.

Than again, our defenses were bad and probably on the field a lot as opposing offenses marched up and down the field at will, but the offenses should have been well rested with so many three and outs?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

And we STILL beat Dem Aints. Who Dat! :wink:

Our starting RB, QB and leading receiver played 1 healthy snap together, a 47 yard TD. We'd of been Super Bowl champions at that rate.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was bad. Both in terms of watching the team play and injuries. Just an awful year all around with a bad HC. I recall that we lost our top 5 CBs to injuries in the first 6 weeks and were stuck with the Justin "Toast" King and Josh Gordy as our starting CBs. I also remember that we were stuck with an OL of Adam Goldberg-Jason Brown(after he was benched for giving up on the team)-Tony Wragge-Bryan Mattison-Harvey Dahl at one point on the OL.

Poor Sam actually made an OL of Saffold-Bell-Brown-Goldberg-Smith look solid in 2010. But there's no way any QB could survive behind that 2011 OL. Dahl is the only guy on that OL I named that isn't out of the league and we all want him released.

Ramifications

It was bad. Both in terms of watching the team play and injuries. Just an awful year all around with a bad HC. I recall that we lost our top 5 CBs to injuries in the first 6 weeks and were stuck with the Justin "Toast" King and Josh Gordy as our starting CBs. I also remember that we were stuck with an OL of Adam Goldberg-Jason Brown(after he was benched for giving up on the team)-Tony Wragge-Bryan Mattison-Harvey Dahl at one point on the OL.

Poor Sam actually made an OL of Saffold-Bell-Brown-Goldberg-Smith look solid in 2010. But there's no way any QB could survive behind that 2011 OL. Dahl is the only guy on that OL I named that isn't out of the league and we all want him released.

Good memory,

handy in "Why Hasn't Bradford Been A Serial Pro Bowler To Date"-type discussions.

Hey, I almost forgot, if we hadn't gone through the misfortune of that improbably nightmarish confluence of bad luck in 2011... we wouldn't have gotten the 1.2 pick in the 2012 draft to kick off Fisher/Snead's inaugural campaign (Fisher did say the 1.2 was a selling point of the job, though I think the MIA job wasn't a prize, he was smart to not take it and that has been borne out by the events since, they have a toxic ownership situation and convoluted, Byzantine front office structure), or been able to parlay that pick into the RGIII trade, and than been in a position to reap the dividend of the WAS nightmare convergence, sitting at 1.2, AGAIN, where it started in the first place.

Is there a saying that is the opposite of karma is a bitch? The universe is balancing things out.

* What if there hadn't been so many injuries and Spags/Devaney finished 8-8 in 2011? Probably they aren't fired and Fisher/Snead are never hired (I just threw up in my mouth a little)? In retrospect, that season was for the best.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We cleaned house after that season which pretty much speaks for itself. The roster turnover has been pretty incredible, too. Now we're looking towards being the youngest team in football three years straight but not in a bad way. Loads more talent on this roster from three years ago. Loads, I say!!!

RGIII trade has helped a bunch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1/320 chance of having the most injured offense of the decade.

Not sure if it was partially an issue with the strength and conditioning coach, but I think Spagnuolo did fire the longtime coach. A lot of people can get swept aside in a regime change, but it sounded like that was a particularly unpleasant one to work under.
It's true. I used to bring up this point a lot too, but it falls on deaf ears. Or you'll get some numbnut who says, "All teams have injuries" without even attempting to try and understand the magnitude of the situation. Anyway, that quote comes from this article I saved.

It's often good to remind ourselves that regression towards the mean is a probabilistic phenomenon, not an absolute one. If a team finishes first one season, it doesn't mean that they will finish lower the following season; just that they're more likely to. Today's reminder is the 2011 St. Louis Rams offense, which repeated as "most injured offense in the NFL," and actually had a worse AGL than in 2010 (47.1). To boot, their AGL last season was the highest of any offense since 2002. Judging by that 66.6 value, you could say (puts on sunglasses) they were cursed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/2011-adjusted-games-lost-team-units

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think if the Rams were a veteran team for 3 years prior to that season, and in the same system(s) the whole time, that we may have weathered that storm a little better. Not to the point where we would have won a bunch more games, but we would have been much more competitive. As it stands, 5 of our losses were decided by an average of 6 points. There was just so much that went against that team that year, that it was just a perfect storm. No camp, new system, new players counted on to start (and execute), rough schedule, 10 corners injured, the entire O-line decimated (Dahl's the only one who played 16 games), Bradford hurt, and only 4 players on the entire team started and finished the season unscathed.