Horror Movie Time!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Felt like it deserved its own thread but feel free to move it if it doesn’t get a lot of action lol

Started a list for us of ones we haven’t seen yet

Talk to Me
Cobweb
Smile
The Popes Exorcist
Midsommar
Malevolent
The Boogeyman
Insideous: the red door

Let’s hear some recommendations/reviews!

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Why are clowns meant to be scary? I watched the execrable IT and the even worse (if that’s possible) Terrifier recently and just cannot fathom what the concept of the scary clown is meant to be about.

Clowns aren’t scary. And they’re definitely not funny. They’re just shit.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Terrifier movies are some of the worst I’ve seen :LOL: the gore is next level lol

I do like the IT movies though. Thought they nailed the casting across the board

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Midsommar's opening is one of the most visceral, frightening, and saddening openings to a horror movie I have ever seen, not because of any fantasy, demon, or scary serial killer, but because how very, very real it is. That's not even getting into the actual gory parts.

Smile is so similar to Drag Me to Hell's ending in that you have a little bit of hope before it brutally, brutally crushes it, and I will say that the acting is damn near spot on (special mention to Rob Morgan playing the prisoner; he was the secret star of the movie).

Talk to Me was a very brutal movie, not because it was bad - far from it - but because there was just gut-punch after gut-punch after brass-knuckle-aided gut-punch. And the demon possessing the kid was the best since The Exorcist, no lie.

The Thing is one of my all-time favorites because of the sheer psychological mind-fuckery going on. Not knowing if you can trust the person next to you in the lonely Antarctica setting is just a thing (pun not intended) of beauty.

The horror movie that fucked me up beyond any other was MIRRORS, starring Kiefer Sutherland. Easily the scariest movie I've ever seen with the sheer fuckery going on with the mirrors. The bathroom scene alone screwed with me enough to not look into a mirror for at least a year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Exorcist
The Conjuring 1 and 2
Annabelle movies
The Nun
The Pope's Exorcist

The teen slasher stuff doesn't do a lot for me. Demons and possession are the creepiest to me.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Why are clowns meant to be scary? I watched the execrable IT and the even worse (if that’s possible) Terrifier recently and just cannot fathom what the concept of the scary clown is meant to be about.

Clowns aren’t scary. And they’re definitely not funny. They’re just shit.

I feel bad for irl clowns, actually. They have to deal with kids being terrified of them with IT, the Joker, etc., and having to be made fun of constantly. There's a reason why the Sad Clown trope exists.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I LOVE horror and there aren't many I haven't seen. Not many really scare me though.

I think my addiction to horror flicks comes from me wanting to be scared (not jump scared) and to see something I haven't already seen a bunch of times. I'm not talking about re-watching a movie... I mean seeing a horror movie with something original and brand new.

Midsommar was listed by Mems a few posts back. I'm pretty sure that Mems found that one after I posted about it here. That flick had shit no movie had ever thought of and it was a real mind fuck beyond belief. If you haven't seen it yet... you need to.

It's weird that I love horror movies so much even though probably 95% of them basically let me down.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saw Smile the other night and Talk to Me last night!

Enjoyed both. Smile had a lot of jump scares but was still very creepy. I had to pause it halfway and tell my girlfriend “we’re making a pact, there will be no creepy smiling at each other after this” :ROFLMAO: We had taken a gummy so she didn’t listen lol

I went into Talk to Me thinking it was going to be much scarier than it was based on reviews but it was still very good. Fresh idea which doesn’t happen very often anymore and like @Memento said, the demon was awesome

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I LOVE horror and there aren't many I haven't seen. Not many really scare me though.

I think my addiction to horror flicks comes from me wanting to be scared (not jump scared) and to see something I haven't already seen a bunch of times. I'm not talking about re-watching a movie... I mean seeing a horror movie with something original and brand new.

Midsommar was listed by Mems a few posts back. I'm pretty sure that Mems found that one after I posted about it here. That flick had shit no movie had ever thought of and it was a real mind fuck beyond belief. If you haven't seen it yet... you need to.

It's weird that I love horror movies so much even though probably 95% of them basically let me down.
Huge horror fan as well. It's crazy how hard it is to make a decent horror film and how many flop right on their face. I really have only seen a couple that were really good in the last 5 years, The Ritual and The Last Shift.

It seems like James Waan is the only one writing horror movies atm, and I'm not a fan of his at all. All the others seem to try and copy his style.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Huge horror fan as well. It's crazy how hard it is to make a decent horror film and how many flop right on their face. I really have only seen a couple that were really good in the last 5 years, The Ritual and The Last Shift.

It seems like James Waan is the only one writing horror movies atm, and I'm not a fan of his at all. All the others seem to try and copy his style.

It's maddening.

This actually happened to me just yesterday. I was reading something on horror movies and Stephen King gave a recommendation for one of his favorites that he doesn't believe received near enough credit. He called it a real freak show.

So... last night I tell the wife about this and I find it on Amazon. I had to sign up for a 7 day free trial for one of the options (that I will cancel before the free trial ends) to watch it because that is the only available option. The movie is from 2008 if I remember right.

Guess what?... it fucking sucked. No way that movie could be anywhere near my top 1000 horror movies. My wife laughed at it too btw. The movie is Pontypool in case you want to see it for yourself.

So my endless quest to watch horror movies won't stop. I just know better than to take Stephen King's recommendations going forward. What a let down.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel bad for irl clowns, actually. They have to deal with kids being terrified of them with IT, the Joker, etc., and having to be made fun of constantly. There's a reason why the Sad Clown trope exists.
I think the scary clown idea originated by accident through this innocent cereal commercial in the late 50's - early 60's. Kid's reported being scared by Krinkles the Clown. Did they sense that Krinkles was really a Cereal Killer?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGk1SYB0No

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
It's maddening.

This actually happened to me just yesterday. I was reading something on horror movies and Stephen King gave a recommendation for one of his favorites that he doesn't believe received near enough credit. He called it a real freak show.

So... last night I tell the wife about this and I find it on Amazon. I had to sign up for a 7 day free trial for one of the options (that I will cancel before the free trial ends) to watch it because that is the only available option. The movie is from 2008 if I remember right.

Guess what?... it fucking sucked. No way that movie could be anywhere near my top 1000 horror movies. My wife laughed at it too btw. The movie is Pontypool in case you want to see it for yourself.

So my endless quest to watch horror movies won't stop. I just know better than to take Stephen King's recommendations going forward. What a let down.
I've spent a good hour and a half flipping through the horror section of all the movie apps I have and gave up. I usually do that once a month. Lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really watch movies at all anymore, let alone horror flicks. I used to absolutely love them in the 80's and 90's. The costumes, makeup and creations through applied moldings to make creatures less human and more alien was so great. Now? It's CGI and I can't watch that crap
Here are my favorites....
1. Alien: I like the foreboding atmosphere on the large alien space ship where the pods were. Just the idea that the bones of a massive alien skeleton with burst rib cage was eerie in itself. That ship looked ancient, which makes me wonder how long our parasitic aliens live? The atmosphere on Ripley's ship was also very eerie. Aside from the little version of the alien, emerging from the crew member's chest and skittering across the floor, they don't show the grown alien hardly at all. They use suspense mostly

2. JAWS: Another movie where suspense was key. This movie was considered to be so scary, the some were afraid to swim in lakes, let alone at ocean beaches! All of the actors in this one were excellent, including Brucie (mechanical shark). Famous line from the movie: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

3. Aliens: Same atmosphere as the original, but we all know what the alien looks like, but now the use a swarm of them to engage with a crack force of intergalactic marines (oo-rah). Ripley fights the giant Momma alien with an industrial transformer outfit, but Momma is hard to kill.
Famous line: "Nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure."

4. Event Horizon: scary as he77. Mixes the supernatural with science fiction. I was actually disturbed by this movie.

5. THE THING: The one I'm talking about was made by John Carpenter. Like Memento mentioned earlier, it's a psychological mind f*ck. An alien shape shifter takes the form of a trusted crew member, killing most of them. I really Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimley in this one.

The kicker is that all of these horror flicks involve aliens, of which @Merlin and I don't believe!

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Se7en was disturbing.
Finding out how freaking old that movie is -- more disturbing.

Memento

Name
Jemma

I watched Midsommar long before you mentioned it (because the same guy who shot Hereditary directed Midsommar). But the suicide scene of the protag's sister was so beyond fucked up because of how scary and real it was; you see people annihilate their whole families before killing themselves in real life, and people in mental distress struggle with voices in their heads all the time (like I've struggled. I've never had the voices tell me to kill others, but it's a struggle). It hit me so much harder than the blood eagle, the old people jumping, the female-on-male rape scene (because it was rape), and the ending with the burning pyramid. The other stuff is gory, but the suicide scene was the worst because of how fucking real it was.

Saw Smile the other night and Talk to Me last night!

Enjoyed both. Smile had a lot of jump scares but was still very creepy. I had to pause it halfway and tell my girlfriend “we’re making a pact, there will be no creepy smiling at each other after this” :ROFLMAO: We had taken a gummy so she didn’t listen lol

I went into Talk to Me thinking it was going to be much scarier than it was based on reviews but it was still very good. Fresh idea which doesn’t happen very often anymore and like @Memento said, the demon was awesome

Talk to Me isn't necessarily scary; it's just a ginormous gut punch because it's about these teens, kids, who pretty much get high off of the filming of the possessions, and the MC's mother died in a horrible way that was suicide, and she thinks her own father killed her. So she goes much longer, thinking she'll see her mother, and...well, it's just an awful gut-punch at the end.

Smile, again, is a lot like Drag Me to Hell (even with the cat killing parts), only with smiles, but the actors sold it, especially the prisoner who beat the Smile entity (he was lowkey the best one in the film with his reaction). And you had this little bit of hope at the end, and it just crushes it without mercy.

I think the scary clown idea originated by accident through this innocent cereal commercial in the late 50's - early 60's. Kid's reported being scared by Krinkles the Clown. Did they sense that Krinkles was really a Cereal Killer?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGk1SYB0No

Yeah, that would probably do it.

I don't really watch movies at all anymore, let alone horror flicks. I used to absolutely love them in the 80's and 90's. The costumes, makeup and creations through applied moldings to make creatures less human and more alien was so great. Now? It's CGI and I can't watch that crap
Here are my favorites....
1. Alien: I like the foreboding atmosphere on the large alien space ship where the pods were. Just the idea that the bones of a massive alien skeleton with burst rib cage was eerie in itself. That ship looked ancient, which makes me wonder how long our parasitic aliens live? The atmosphere on Ripley's ship was also very eerie. Aside from the little version of the alien, emerging from the crew member's chest and skittering across the floor, they don't show the grown alien hardly at all. They use suspense mostly

2. JAWS: Another movie where suspense was key. This movie was considered to be so scary, the some were afraid to swim in lakes, let alone at ocean beaches! All of the actors in this one were excellent, including Brucie (mechanical shark). Famous line from the movie: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

3. Aliens: Same atmosphere as the original, but we all know what the alien looks like, but now the use a swarm of them to engage with a crack force of intergalactic marines (oo-rah). Ripley fights the giant Momma alien with an industrial transformer outfit, but Momma is hard to kill.
Famous line: "Nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure."

4. Event Horizon: scary as he77. Mixes the supernatural with science fiction. I was actually disturbed by this movie.

5. THE THING: The one I'm talking about was made by John Carpenter. Like Memento mentioned earlier, it's a psychological mind f*ck. An alien shape shifter takes the form of a trusted crew member, killing most of them. I really Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimley in this one.

The kicker is that all of these horror flicks involve aliens, of which @Merlin and I don't believe!

Yes, Alien was amazing (Parker should've fucking lived, fuck you, Lambert!) and Aliens was definitely solid (so much good acting), but I'd like to give a shoutout to Alien 3: great acting, and the chase scenes were amazing.

The Thing was amazing, and Keith David and Kurt Russell sold their roles so well, especially at the end where they share a drink, knowing they're going to die in the bitter cold, but not knowing if one of them is secretly the Thing.

I'll give a massive shoutout to Happy Deathday (the first one, not the second one). Really subverted the tropes of the typical slasher film, and Tree was just a fucking amazing MC with so much character growth that it really did impress me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Scariest shit is all on Lifetime channel.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched Midsommar long before you mentioned it (because the same guy who shot Hereditary directed Midsommar). But the suicide scene of the protag's sister was so beyond fucked up because of how scary and real it was; you see people annihilate their whole families before killing themselves in real life, and people in mental distress struggle with voices in their heads all the time (like I've struggled. I've never had the voices tell me to kill others, but it's a struggle). It hit me so much harder than the blood eagle, the old people jumping, the female-on-male rape scene (because it was rape), and the ending with the burning pyramid. The other stuff is gory, but the suicide scene was the worst because of how fucking real it was.

You're scaring me Mems.

Hahahahahahaaaaa

No seriously.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I may be the only one that didn’t like Midsommar.

It felt like 20 minutes of good content, with 90 minutes of filler.
The constant, long, drawn out rituals were boring as hell for me.