Honestly, What's The Drop Between Mathews And The 2nd Or 3rd Best Lineman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't watch offensive lineman (especially if not the Rams) and I don't know how to grade them, but Mathews isn't the biggest lineman prospect. So, if we drafted a skill position (Clowney/Watkins) with the first and a lineman with the second 1st rd pick, how much of a difference would it make?

Alan

Legend
For me it's not the differences in the OTs that bother me. I think there are a lot of good ones and I don't even like Matthews the best. The problem as I see it is that we didn't pick up that great CB we also need badly. Or that stud FS I have my eye on (although I don't really have my eye on any of them yet). I can see drafting Watkins because WR is one of our needs. But not Clowney.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Matthews and Robinson are the two best right now. And both will likely be gone before #13. Right now, I think Matthews is the best.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The third ranked OT Cyrus Kouandjio on WalterFootball's big Board got destroyed tonight by a guy (Striker) who is listed at 6' 220

RamsOfCastamere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The third ranked OT Cyrus Kouandjio on WalterFootball's big Board got destroyed tonight by a guy (Striker) who is listed at 6' 220

I watched that game as well. I really hope we trade with CLE to get an OT/WR/DB as of now, but I change my mind every week so who knows. Jake Long's injury definitely made decisions a lot tougher, at the end of the season, too. :slap:

Get healthy, Jake! #BringJakeHome :cheese:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Matthews is the best pass protector of the bunch. He has great feet and is very athletic. Robinson is a beast of a run blocker but because of Auburns insane run game teams have not been able to throw a heavy pass rush at him. So until we see him at a skills test we don't know if he is at Matthews level in pass protecting.

Right now it is Matthews all the way for me. Plus I think it will be for Fisher as well. But if the Rams trade back too far they won't get him and then Watkins is my choice.

RamsOfCastamere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if we draft Matthews and keep Saffold (jackpot!), do you think he'll challenge Saffold for LT until Jake gets healthy? I've been thinking about possible lineups:

Before healthy
Saffold ??? ??? ??? Matthews
Matthews ??? ??? Saffold Barksdale

After healthy
Long Matthews ??? Saffold Barksdale
Matthews Long ??? Saffold Barksdale
Matthews ???? ???? Saffold Long
Long ??? ??? Saffold Matthews

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If we got him it;d be (at the moment)

Matthews, Jones, Barnes, Saffold, Barksdale
Or;
Saffold, FA FA FA Matthews/Barksdale.

When Long comes back;

Long Saffold Barnes/Jones Matthews Barksdale
Long Saffold Jones Barnes Barksdale.

For me - the first of my options or the very last one are the best bets - without knowing which if any prospects we draft or free agents we sign outside of Matthews (which of course may not happen).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think enough can be said about bloodlines. Mathews has it. Should be a healthy mule for many many years along someone's offensive line. I hope it's ours!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So if we draft Matthews and keep Saffold (jackpot!), do you think he'll challenge Saffold for LT until Jake gets healthy? I've been thinking about possible lineups:

Before healthy
Saffold ??? ??? ??? Matthews
Matthews ??? ??? Saffold Barksdale

After healthy
Matthews Long ??? Saffold Barksdale
Matthews ???? ???? Saffold Long
Long ??? ??? Saffold Matthews

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OT
http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Dr...College-Left-Offensive-Tackles-2014-Draft.asp

Using your chart I look @ it this way
Before healthy
1-Rookie Matthews , 2-Barksdale & 3-Vacancy

After the bye mid season
1-Long, 2-Rookie Matthews, 3-Barksdale & 4-Vacancy

Alan

Legend
Despte what Elmgrovegnome said, I've read that Matthews main negative is that he isn't very athletic. I think he's just like his dad but unfortunately he's not playing against the same kind of DEs and LBs his dad did. As soon as I hear "not very athletic" my first thought is he'll best fit in at guard. While we need a guard I'm not sure I want to pay that high a price.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Despte what Elmgrovegnome said, I've read that Matthews main negative is that he isn't very athletic. I think he's just like his dad but unfortunately he's not playing against the same kind of DEs and LBs his dad did. As soon as I hear "not very athletic" my first thought is he'll best fit in at guard. While we need a guard I'm not sure I want to pay that high a price.

Matthews is athletic. He's not an elite athlete but he certainly has LT feet and is the best pass protector in this class by far. Guy has very good feet. He's just not the caliber of athlete that guys like Lane Johnson and Tyron Smith are. Then again, few players are.

Alan

Legend
jrry32's take on Matthews:
Matthews is athletic. He's not an elite athlete but he certainly has LT feet and is the best pass protector in this class by far. Guy has very good feet. He's just not the caliber of athlete that guys like Lane Johnson and Tyron Smith are. Then again, few players are.

Yeah, but aren't those the ones you draft in the top 5?

Although I still haven't started my research on these guys yet so I'm just yakking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, but aren't those the ones you draft in the top 5?

Although I still haven't started my research on these guys yet so I'm just yakking.

Depends. Athleticism is nice but you gotta have the overall skill-set. I'd take a player like Matthews in the top 5 without thinking twice.

Alan

Legend
On your recommendation I'll look at him a lot more closely.

I do agree with you that overall skill sets are hugely important. What that often means, in my experience, is that they've often already reached their ceiling and if that's true with Matthews I'm not all that impressed with his body of work in college. Played very well but that's against college level opponents.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On your recommendation I'll look at him a lot more closely.

I do agree with you that overall skill sets are hugely important. What that often means, in my experience, is that they've often already reached their ceiling and if that's true with Matthews I'm not all that impressed with his body of work in college. Played very well but that's against college level opponents.

Can only play against the guys that line up on the other side of the ball.

What I see in Matthews is a guy that will be a Pro Bowler at any position on the OL. Can be a very good(but likely won't be elite) LT/RT and can be an elite(HOF caliber) OG/C. He's basically his father. And that's worth drafting in the top 5 to me. Some might disagree. But I love that the guy is a technician that approaches the game from a cerebral perspective. He just has great instincts and always seems to be a step ahead of his man. You can tell he really takes his game seriously, breaks down a lot of film and comes into the game knowing the ins and outs of his opponent. He's reliable, consistent and steady to the point of being dominating in college. Those are all great things to have in an OL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What I see in Matthews is a guy that will be a Pro Bowler at any position on the OL. Can be a very good(but likely won't be elite) LT/RT and can be an elite(HOF caliber) OG/C. He's basically his father. And that's worth drafting in the top 5 to me. Some might disagree. But I love that the guy is a technician that approaches the game from a cerebral perspective. He just has great instincts and always seems to be a step ahead of his man. You can tell he really takes his game seriously, breaks down a lot of film and comes into the game knowing the ins and outs of his opponent. He's reliable, consistent and steady to the point of being dominating in college. Those are all great things to have in an OL.

Cosign.

He's not a flashy pick, but someone who can possibly anchor a spot for many-many years. When's the last time we had that? Orlando Pace?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm just gonna say this, I don't think the Rams will take Jake Matthews.

Joe Barksdale as earned the RT spot. Jake Long is gonna come back, eventually. So you're telling me they should use the #2 pick who will be a spot starter then a backup? Or move him to guard?

They are gonna try like hell to trade down, and take a shots @ WR and CB.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 reminding me of Long:
Can only play against the guys that line up on the other side of the ball.

Reminds of Chris Long who many are in favor of kicking to the side of the road and replacing him with Clowney.

It's true that you can only play against the guys on the other side of the ball but if you're that good you should dominate. That's what I don't see. I realize that many people, whose opinion I trust (you included) like this young man so it makes me question my own evaluation. Maybe I'm wrong but I think many hear his name and think about his dad. I hear that even in this thread. If his name was snozzle would everyone have the same opinion about him? I have my doubts.

I do agree with you that OG/C is where he'll probably excel but as I said before, spend a top 5 pick on him? I would much rather trade down and pick Robinson or someone else.