Home Field Advantage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Home field advantage is definitely not a huge deal for every team ( I think the avg is 57% at home.. which is still meaningful but not huge), but if you have a good team like the rams have PLUS a rabid home atmosphere - that's going to significant.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure sounded like Rams were at home when Kupp made big plays.
Yeah... and, sadly, when Wentz made big plays.

I don't think you would disagree that it sounded embarrassing on TV...national game, no less.

I contemplated turning the sound off yesterday.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... and, sadly, when Wentz made big plays.

I don't think you would disagree that it sounded embarrassing on TV...national game, no less.

I contemplated turning the sound off yesterday.
I'll hold off on "embarrassing" but will grant you "disappointing"

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
consistently WIN...not just a season...a few games...need some playoff wins...
Tough crowd, then!

Rams have put a quality product on the field and this was a HUGE game.

Ticket holders are faced with a decision:
1] Go to the game and support your team
2] Sell your ticket for a nice premium on NFLExchange or Stubhub

Looks like they chose #2... and that's embarrassing.

Hey, got to pay the bill on the Mercedes, right?
(n)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think part of the problem is LA is just a nice city to travel to for a road game, especially in the winter.
Yeah, I listened to WIP a lot last week and I heard a bunch of folks call in from CA... same thing... went out there for a little R&R and the game.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Once Stans new palace opens season tickets to the Rams will be more desireable. And if they Rams continue winning and are regularly in the playoffs, the new digs will be the place to be.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once Stans new palace opens season tickets to the Rams will be more desireable. And if they Rams continue winning and are regularly in the playoffs, the new digs will be the place to be.
OR... it will make LA an even bigger destination for opposing fans.

JerruhWorld brings in tons of opposing fans every year.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Hopefully this talk dies down permanently when we get into the new stadium. With a smaller capacity and an enclosed stadium should have a huge affect on visiting teams. I think most true season ticket holders will be less likely to sell their tickets if the team is successful in the new stadium, and provides a great experience for the fans.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's several different factors that come into play with these things, it's the same for all sports.

First of all, venue matters in LA.. It just does. Kings attendance, despite being a bad team for decades, was never terrible, after they moved into Staples. Their current sellout streak started in early 2012. Winning has obviously helped the sellout streak.

Second of all, winning matters. The Kings were always in the 90% for attendance, but when they started winning? Sellouts.

Third, dealing with transplants. The fact is that LA is filled with transplants. The big draw teams like the Eagles or the Cowboys, or the Steelers or Patriots are always going to attract a ton of fans who are willing to pay a premium for seats. Chicago Blackhawks always have tons of fans in Staples for Kings and Blackhawk games because those fans pay a lot of money to get tickets from the season ticket holders. That's just going to come with the territory, the fans in the stadium help drown out that noise though.

Fourth, finally because we're a destination city, a lot of fans from other cities will buy tickets for a game late in the season and plan a vacation around it. That's how how it shakes out when you live in a nice city, people from colder regions are going to look to travel here for a break from the cold and a football game.

When the Inglewood Stadium is built, the place will be rocking, the dome is going to make that place really loud.

Seattle gets praise for their 12th man, but a few years ago the LA Kings had a playoff game that was so loud the announcers stopped trying to talk, you literally could not hear anything else, both on TV and in the venue itself. It was fucking nuts. That'll happen with the Rams pretty soon, it just takes a little bit of time.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

True, but Dallas' stadium holds about 30K more fans than Stan's stadium.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Yeah, it sounds like people want more Kings fans at Rams games. Kings and Lakers both play in Staples and, back when the Lakers were good, the Laker announcers and Kobe all said Kings fans were louder. But, talking about Laker fans, people got to understand that in the 60 years from 1949 to 2009 (or 31 times from 1949-2010 -- however you want to count), the Lakers were playing in the Championship round on average of every other year. "The Expected" gets less fan enthusiasm than a surprise championship.

So to get Kings-level support, ultimately the Rams have to win Championships, plural. LA is a place where even the lame sports win chips -- WNBA, MLS, college baseball, and the XFL. Being good, having a nice product, going to the playoffs, but not winning is, basically, the Clippers:
CFZsKIiVAAA3-1D.jpg:large

bluecoconuts

Legend

So does Staples, but less fans are willing to give away tickets.

You wont see many fans opting out of playoff games either. You'll see a lot of Rams fans come January.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but Dallas' stadium holds about 30K more fans than Stan's stadium.
Not by a lot... Inglewood is projected to hold 70K, with expansion to 100K.

JerruhWorld is set at 80K, with expansion to 105K (unless you're Jerruh and cram in over 110K for the Super Bowl and get your ass sued).

My point is...

The brand new, schnazzy stadium will make it even MORE enticing for opposing fans.

Right now, they come to:
1] See LA
2] See their team play.

Once it's built, they'll want to:
1] See LA
2] See the new stadium
3] See their team play

Anyone who thinks that this issue of Rams fans selling out for premium money to opposing fans will change once the new stadium is built are fooling themselves.

If anything, it is likely to get worse!

Stump23

Rookie
I feel as though we had a great crowd yesterday. I wasn't there yesterday, but I was at the Saints game and this crowd look a lot bigger. Maybe more Philly in the crowd than Saints were, but LA fans are definitely holding their own. Still 2 to 1 over visiting teams from my perspective. Also, Joe Buck was not going to compliment the LA fan base at all, still bitter about the move. He tries to be PC but you can tell it's killing him to complement the Rams. JMO.

Ramzheart

Rookie
You're always going to have this issue in Cali.
It will get better with more winning but won't totally go away.
Just how it is.
I say put down your designer sunglasses, cell phones and perrier and dont be afraid to look uncool by standing and yelling your bloody heads off!! i.e. - the Philly fans in our own sinking stadium! Oh, The shame:banghead:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We gave the Eagles fans a reason to be louder than our fans.

Respectfully, I say baloney. When the crowd matters is when the defense is out there - no one cares how loud the crowd is after a big play. It’s when the other team has the ball in a critical situation that you make it so loud that people at home have to turn the volume down on their TVs. You make it so their offense can’t hear the audibles, the snap, the play in huddle - that’s homefield advantage - and the Rams just haven’t had that in many years. Not in the last 5-6 years in STL and not so far in LA.

It is important though - it’s a real advantage. It’s not just to give the players the warm and fuzzies - it’s a big part of the game. I hope it develops out there in LA and quickly.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
When there was a penalty and the ref would make the initial call off camera, I had no idea who it was against based on the crowd noise.