Holding calls in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Has anyone else noticed this.. especially in the last few years...

In many of the games I watch I see just ridiculous holding calls against teams. That is such a huge/drive killing penalty - it really needs to be clear cut to be called. I've noticed it in the NCAA also, but more glaringly in the NFL.

My favorite is where the defender falls to the ground and the Ol man topples over him... I've can think of 4-5 of those in the past couple weeks I've seen.

I also saw a block in the back called in the game after the runner had ran out of bounds and the defender spun around.

If I really wanted to look at the tap I'm guessing about 2/3 of the holding calls I see called are outright bad calls.

It destroys the flow of the game.

The inconsistancy is what gets me. If it is holding for 1 team, it should be holding for the other. For years we have been watching Quinn get held almost every play, then if a Rams OL uses the same technique that is used on Quinn they are flagged for holding.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Has anyone else noticed this.. especially in the last few years...

In many of the games I watch I see just ridiculous holding calls against teams. That is such a huge/drive killing penalty - it really needs to be clear cut to be called. I've noticed it in the NCAA also, but more glaringly in the NFL.

My favorite is where the defender falls to the ground and the Ol man topples over him... I've can think of 4-5 of those in the past couple weeks I've seen.

I also saw a block in the back called in the game after the runner had ran out of bounds and the defender spun around.

If I really wanted to look at the tap I'm guessing about 2/3 of the holding calls I see called are outright bad calls.

It destroys the flow of the game.

it's never going to get better. Simple answer, they're human.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
That's funny, because the Cowboys have gone 18 quarters now where the OPPOSING TEAM has NOT had a single holding call. That's 4 1/2 games.

How many have been called on dallas in those same games? This is the part that gets me, the officials appear to use holding penalties to effect the outcome or at least favor 1 team in an attempt to effect the outcome.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The worse one I've seen so far was Donald breaking through the line w/ one arm from a linemen wrapped over his opposite shoulder than the lineman behind him was and he was holding on for dear life. It kept Donald back just long enough to get the ball off....no holding called. I think it was against Dallas.

A couple years ago, that play resulted in a TD for dez, the same game a hand glanced off romos helmet and was flagged keeping the drive alive after a Rams 3rd down stop. Yet when Foles was hit in the helmet with a forearm, no flag, play resulted in a pick 6. Even cowboy fans said the officials gave them that game.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I agree! That's why Quinn's natural stance is displayed in your avatar... ;)
4362.jpg
I don't know about you, but if there was an electric football action figure set for the rams that had a player in the "Robert Quinn stance" I would be all over it!

Of course I would need a tackle with the "nnnooooo ... arm curled around a neck" posture and I would run that until I had them facing the same direction in that pose and post that shiz.

Heck, I'd turn it into a gif avatar.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
A couple years ago, that play resulted in a TD for dez, the same game a hand glanced off romos helmet and was flagged keeping the drive alive after a Rams 3rd down stop. Yet when Foles was hit in the helmet with a forearm, no flag, play resulted in a pick 6. Even cowboy fans said the officials gave them that game.
I remember that. The "Foles" era wasn't a good time........