Holding calls in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Has anyone else noticed this.. especially in the last few years...

In many of the games I watch I see just ridiculous holding calls against teams. That is such a huge/drive killing penalty - it really needs to be clear cut to be called. I've noticed it in the NCAA also, but more glaringly in the NFL.

My favorite is where the defender falls to the ground and the Ol man topples over him... I've can think of 4-5 of those in the past couple weeks I've seen.

I also saw a block in the back called in the game after the runner had ran out of bounds and the defender spun around.

If I really wanted to look at the tap I'm guessing about 2/3 of the holding calls I see called are outright bad calls.

It destroys the flow of the game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It destroys the flow of the game.

A huge complaint of many fans, and it's been brought up in other threads.

IMO worse is the blatant holding that goes uncalled. They need a second ref in the backfield, one guy can't see everything and has a bad angle on half the OL and the players know it and take full advantage.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure there are too many holding calls...I watch these games from in front of the TV & see multiple holds on most all plays. Most are not called. The problem seems to located directly on field regulators (Refs)& the inconsistencies in their calls IMO. Letting the game run without controlling it will result in more fights more nasty tempered players & more ejections. Generally they do a fair enough job but still there is a vast room to get it better.

I sure would not want to place more of the same kind/type of questionable observers regulators on the field cause you would be adding to the issue. It would seem that better improved trained refs is in order ones with natural born ability to digest & interpret what they have just seen. It will cost $$$ but would improve he game.

As far as fans go all depends if the call or non call is against their team.;)

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard as fans to separate the heart and the mind when it comes to holding calls. Really hard.

My heart shouts "that's holding" about 8 times a game, but in reality Quinn falls down on his own A LOT.

But then there are calls where I just start cracking up and say "that's terrible holding" - on these occasions there's a flag thrown 99% of the time.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The worst most obvious holds are when the defender gets by the blocker and he grabs him from behind. Those should all be called. Some of the inside lighter holds head on where the arms get caught, no.

And that high-low call against the Rams was bogus. It was hi-lo lite, didn't look planned, just 2 guys who sort of teed off on one guy but nothing like that "Younglbood vice."

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not even talking about rams games or games I have that much of a vested interest in...

Holding shouldn't be called unless its egregious- it's too serious of a penalty.

I was watching a college game this weekend saw a dude literally trip on the ground and the center tripped over him... and they called holding.

Yes there are bad ones that are missed... but to me it's just worse to call holding when its not there.. it kills the game in multiple ways.

Ellard80

Legend
The worst most obvious holds are when the defender gets by the blocker and he grabs him from behind. Those should all be called. Some of the inside lighter holds head on where the arms get caught, no.

And that high-low call against the Rams was bogus. It was hi-lo lite, didn't look planned, just 2 guys who sort of teed off on one guy but nothing like that "Younglbood vice."

yes this is one example of what I see too much.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The one that does not get called that infuriates me is when Quinn come around the end and the offensive lineman just wraps his arm around Quinn's neck. They never seem to call this one.

Ellard80

Legend
The one that does not get called that infuriates me is when Quinn come around the end and the offensive lineman just wraps his arm around Quinn's neck. They never seem to call this one.

A lot of those in my mind are borderline.. Quinn kind of dives to the ground... and if they are borderline I'm on the side of not calling them - its just better for the overall game. I'm all for calling holding calls that are clear cut,

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
A lot of those in my mind are borderline.. Quinn kind of dives to the ground... and if they are borderline I'm on the side of not calling them - its just better for the overall game. I'm all for calling holding calls that are clear cut,

Well to me those are clear cut.

SierraRam

Recreational User

I agree! That's why Quinn's natural stance is displayed in your avatar... ;)
4362.jpg

Ellard80

Legend
Well to me those are clear cut.

So If a guy dives to the ground and you push him down as he dives that's a hold? I'm not saying Quinn never gets held..just saying I don't think its a hold every time.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the refs have usually split seconds to make a decision ....i can fault them and we dont want review on every play

but why cant they have one guy in a box up the bleachers with instant replay feed ... let the refs throw the flag while they are discussing it the box ref can say yep penalty stands or pick up the flag .... surely it cant add much more time to the game

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
That's funny, because the Cowboys have gone 18 quarters now where the OPPOSING TEAM has NOT had a single holding call. That's 4 1/2 games.

Tano

Legend
That's funny, because the Cowboys have gone 18 quarters now where the OPPOSING TEAM has NOT had a single holding call. That's 4 1/2 games.
Your defensive linemen suck - that's why

Sorry - just couldn't help myself:)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.I watch these games from in front of the TV & see multiple holds on most all plays. Most are not called.

Holding could be called on every play....most can't be called or the game would inch along....C'mon Boni...if they didn't miss some holds, we couldn't watch the game.

Everyone should just tape their thumbs down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Holding could be called on every play....most can't be called or the game would inch along....C'mon Boni...if they didn't miss some holds, we couldn't watch the game.

Everyone should just tape their thumbs down.
So you think that this situation will continue as is? Its the best as it can get? This problem has no solution? Maybe..........if its fine with most NFL fans. I agree holds are taking place by both Defense & Offense on an equal basis but the protection of the QB seems to have high priority by the NFL thus the OL may be given some higher degree of ???? ignoring? After all the OL is being constantly under assaulting batteries with bad intentions. With defenders desiring to do an Ogletree to QB's:sneaky:.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
So, if an olineman establishes his hands and the rusher turns his body....think a blocker getting his hands inside the shoulders, the rusher then turns sideways, the blocker has his arm now across the rushers chest because he never moved his hand....to my understanding this isent called because the blocker established his hands and the rusher changed his body. I think this is what happens with Quinn a lot. He dips down and gets under the blockers arm....not going to get called.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The worse one I've seen so far was Donald breaking through the line w/ one arm from a linemen wrapped over his opposite shoulder than the lineman behind him was and he was holding on for dear life. It kept Donald back just long enough to get the ball off....no holding called. I think it was against Dallas.