Hill isn't a drop off versus Bradford IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm fine with where we're at. Our team doesn't put games on the QB's hands like what Green Bay does. We might see even better results with Hill than Bradford because of his experience; his throws may be off but that's the reason why we put more talented receivers albeit unproven. If Quick and Britt pan out, we'll have ourselves a Jeffery/Marshall tandem: good enough to fight for hard-earned throws.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Answer this if you would........is part of the reason you so quickly got over Bradford going down because Hill was the backup and not Clemens?

For me it was a huge part of it.
That was part of the reason, yes. Not a huge reason ... just a part. I saw things in the Cleveland game that eases my anxiety about this whole situation. I saw pockets the O-line was providing that would make Brady say, "that's a ridiculous pocket." I also saw Brian Quick do some things I had never seen him do. Like, actually go up and battle for a ball. Also saw Britt's potential on display with that back-shoulder fade, and we haven't even seen the new and improved Tavon yet (presumably on purpose).

So really, I think any competent QB should be able to reap the benefits of the 2014 Rams. I expected a healthy Bradford to tear some shit up, but I expect Hill should be able to carve out his own niche too. He's definitely not a scrub.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The only way I can view this is talk about what Hill can do well because that is what we can be positive about at this stage of the game. There's no need to compare them or talk about Bradford until after the season is done. Bradford, just like Pead is on IR and will not be on the field in 2014. They can't help us now.

What I do see is:

Hill throws a very catchable ball, nice touch.
Hill has a great pocket awareness.
Hill seems to have a good grasp on when to break and run and does it decent.
Hill can read defenses and seems to be able to audible to a successful play.
Hill is a veteran who displays good decision making.
Hill isn't afraid to throw it up and trust his receivers.
Hill comes off as a blue-collar, tough as nails, type of player that can lead a team.
Hill is our starting QB.

Let's go SHAUN HILL!!!!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I know this isn't going to be very popular with a lot of people but in my opinion Hill isn't really "worse" than Bradford.

I think they are both average QB's that need lots of stuff on their side to win a lot games for you. All the things that have been put in place for Bradford are going to benefit Hill. He's never had this much talent around him in SF or DET so lets see what he does. I'm thinking the difference between the two is so minimal that it should have much of an effect on the season, so I'm not changing my expectations and I suspect the coaching staff isn't either.

Hill certainly isn't the long term answer but when we examine what each of these guys have done over their careers this is essentially a wash. I didn't consider Bradford a long term answer either of course. I know a lot of people (OK well mostly two) like to say that Bradford is a big reason that Fisher took the job with the Rams but that was a couple of years and a lot of games ago, and while I will agree Bradford is a great guy to date he has done nothing to prove he is anything but an average QB.

I guess I'm posting this in part because all over the webernet I'm reading a lot of doom and gloom and a lot of bashing the FO for not getting a QB in this past draft. Well as far as that goes if anyone thinks this team would be better off with a rookie who would still be learning the terminology and system versus Hill you're nuts. That would be reason for doom and gloom!

Now all that said I'm really wishing that Snead would have pulled off another trade down from #2 and gotten an extra first rounder next year so they had the draft capital available to make a play for a franchise QB.

I completely agree with everything you wrote. I will also point out that I had argued for a trade-down this year for extra draft capital for 2015. It was just a good risk-management strategy given Bradford's injury history. All is not lost though. QB's are available in the mid to late 1st round. Bridgewater fell after all.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I completely agree with everything you wrote. I will also point out that I had argued for a trade-down this year for extra draft capital for 2015. It was just a good risk-management strategy given Bradford's injury history. All is not lost though. QB's are available in the mid to late 1st round. Bridgewater fell after all.

I was right there with ya on trading down and getting another first rounder next year as an insurance policy for Bradford.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Watch and learn my friend because it's about to happen right in front of your eyes.

You've been saying that for a long time now. He may not even play next year until mid season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Watch and learn my friend because it's about to happen right in front of your eyes.
You've been saying that for a long time now. He may not even play next year until mid season.
263.gif

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Not so sure about that. Hill played on one of the worst teams in history with the Lions. The 9ers were not a good team when he was with them either. Jes sayin....

I don't think that many NFL historians would disagree with my assessment of Ram talent during the last 10 yrs or so. Not a good team and worst team in a decade is not the same thing.

You don't think that if Hill succeeds this year with the new emerging weapons that it won't completely tarnish outsiders view of Bradfords whole career? Not that I care much about that, I'm a Ram fan after all, Sam's a rich man, I'm not his mother, etc., etc. But I'm not looking forward to all the blathering about how we should have replaced Sam.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And you have been hating on him since day 1.

You'll see.

That's a lie, and in fact I have supported him since he was drafted. Your issue is that anything even slightly critical of Bradford makes you angry. There is absolutely no reason for you to say what you just said there.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
That was part of the reason, yes. Not a huge reason ... just a part. I saw things in the Cleveland game that eases my anxiety about this whole situation. I saw pockets the O-line was providing that would make Brady say, "that's a ridiculous pocket." I also saw Brian Quick do some things I had never seen him do. Like, actually go up and battle for a ball. Also saw Britt's potential on display with that back-shoulder fade, and we haven't even seen the new and improved Tavon yet (presumably on purpose).

So really, I think any competent QB should be able to reap the benefits of the 2014 Rams. I expected a healthy Bradford to tear some crap up, but I expect Hill should be able to carve out his own niche too. He's definitely not a scrub.

Pretty much agree with you on this X. Only sad part is (as I said earlier) it's just sad Hill will be the benefactor of 3 years of building to finally get the team around Sam to be successful.
Bradford, IMOO would of lit it up this year. But it is what it is.

Time to rally around Mr. Hill and jack some people up.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm kind of used to Bradford not playing... We won games with Clemens last year and were basically 1 play away from beating the Seahawks. I think we'll be alright with Hill, who in my opinion, is better than Clemens.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Name the limitations other than arm strength.

Pocket presence?

Reading defenses?

Touch on short passes and corner fades?

Leadership?

Grasp of the offense and terminology?

SO where are the big drop offs? I don't see them.

Arm strength- Yep, Bradford can gun it tight windows anytime. I don't wanna see Hill try to gun much of anything. He's not that kind of guy.

Pocket Presence- Bradford never excelled at that. Clemens was better in the pocket than Sam. Hill is right there....

Not worried about the playbook, that'll come.

-Hill can make his reads. But being able to get the ball on time is an issue if the coverage is close.

-Hill throws a weird ball now and again on intermediate throws. Clemens was even worse about that. Sam was routinely excellent on theses plays.

- How is leadership even a discussion? Sam's been the one guys lean on ever since Jackskon left. Hill hasn't come close to earning that. In time, maybe.

-Chemistry. Sam and Quick had something special brewing. Quick knew it, too. No way does Hill match it. For one thing he can't make the strong arm, deep, in the manner of Bradford. This is by far the biggest drop off and it's enough to take the whole darn cake.

I think it's possible to pull out a miracle season, but miracle doesn't enter the equation with Bradford. It'd just be a great season.