Hill isn't a drop off versus Bradford IMO

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I know this isn't going to be very popular with a lot of people but in my opinion Hill isn't really "worse" than Bradford.

I think they are both average QB's that need lots of stuff on their side to win a lot games for you. All the things that have been put in place for Bradford are going to benefit Hill. He's never had this much talent around him in SF or DET so lets see what he does. I'm thinking the difference between the two is so minimal that it should have much of an effect on the season, so I'm not changing my expectations and I suspect the coaching staff isn't either.

Hill certainly isn't the long term answer but when we examine what each of these guys have done over their careers this is essentially a wash. I didn't consider Bradford a long term answer either of course. I know a lot of people (OK well mostly two) like to say that Bradford is a big reason that Fisher took the job with the Rams but that was a couple of years and a lot of games ago, and while I will agree Bradford is a great guy to date he has done nothing to prove he is anything but an average QB.

I guess I'm posting this in part because all over the webernet I'm reading a lot of doom and gloom and a lot of bashing the FO for not getting a QB in this past draft. Well as far as that goes if anyone thinks this team would be better off with a rookie who would still be learning the terminology and system versus Hill you're nuts. That would be reason for doom and gloom!

Now all that said I'm really wishing that Snead would have pulled off another trade down from #2 and gotten an extra first rounder next year so they had the draft capital available to make a play for a franchise QB.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Shaun doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy Sam has. But that doesn't mean he can't be effective.
I don't agree there isn't a drop off. If that was the case Shaun would of been a starter all these years.
But I will give in to the fact we can still win with Shaun.

But if most fans are being honest I would bet they would rather have Sam starting.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think they are both average QB's that need lots of stuff on their side to win a lot games for you.

About where I stopped reading. To say Bradford is average is redonk. His numbers may not have been there, but he had no o line during his career and receivers that couldnt hold on to the ball to save their lives. Now that Bradford has the o line and receivers, he was killing it last year and this offseason. You're entitled to an opinion, I just don't share it sir.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hill just does not have the arm strength that Bradford does. He is better than Clemens but he does not have the ability to make all of the same throws. The Rams can win with him but there is most definitely a drop off.

Irish

Starter
About where I stopped reading. To say Bradford is average is redonk. His numbers may not have been there, but he had no o line during his career and receivers that couldnt hold on to the ball to save their lives. Now that Bradford has the o line and receivers, he was killing it last year and this offseason. You're entitled to an opinion, I just don't share it sir.

If he is ranked 19th-14th, he is average. I liked his upside, but he is not a game breaking QB and he was not going to be expected to be. I have said before Sam is probably worth 3-5 more TDS this season than Shaun Hill, but only because both guys wouldn't have been expected to throw more than 20 passes a game. Hill might be a little over valued in this scenario, but Sam is definitely average. But, again, that is okay, because average QBs win all of the time. It takes 21 other guys to win a super bowl.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think many of us realize the Hill will do a solid job, however, Joe Strauss was right on point about the future vs. the present. But at this juncture as Ram fans like the song says if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shaun doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy Sam has. But that doesn't mean he can't be effective.
I don't agree there isn't a drop off. If that was the case Shaun would of been a starter all these years.
But I will give in to the fact we can still win with Shaun.

But if most fans are being honest I would bet they would rather have Sam starting.

He doesn't have the same arm, I agree with that. I wasn't saying Hill was superior in every way but just so you know Hill has been far more accurate than Bradford over his career.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, one thing is for sure, Hill doesnt have one HUGE thing that Bradford has. Excuses. Or "reasons".
Suddenly we're stocked with WR talent, RB core and a solid o-line.
Hill's physical skills arent in the same stratasphere as Bradford. Sam's ability is much greater.
However, practice and pre-season perfection for Bradford hasnt transcended to the reg season. If Hill makes the throws that Bradford didnt, he could be ultimately as effective, if not more.

I sure would hate to see this become Warner/Bulger stuff.

Just pull for the guy under center, and that guy is Hill

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He doesn't have the same arm, I agree with that. I wasn't saying Hill was superior in every way but just so you know Hill has been far more accurate than Bradford over his career.

Yeah, only thing I mean by arm strength is Sam was hitting some pretty tight windows in preseason. I just wonder if those same throws are incomplete, intercepted or not even made my Hill. Time will tell. I was glad we signed him and now we get to see why :)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This offseason he threw a couple of dozen passes, that's a small sample size. Granted he was putting up decent numbers before he got hurt last year but again a small sample size comparedf to his overall career.

Hill has accomplished about the same that Bradford has from where I sit. I'm not concerned if people don't agree based on "could be" or "potential" I'm just looking at what has actually happened in their careers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, only thing I mean by arm strength is Sam was hitting some pretty tight windows in preseason. I just wonder if those same throws are incomplete, intercepted or not even made my Hill. Time will tell. I was glad we signed him and now we get to see why :)

Bradford has a strong arm, no two ways about that. But he also has flaws in his passing game too.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Hill has accomplished about the same that Bradford has from where I sit.

Hill won ROTY where you sit? Its unfair to compare the two because

1. Bradford has never been in a regular season game with as much talent as Hill had in SF and DET. That is sad to say but true.
2. Now in 2014 when Bradford would have had NFL level talent around him, Hill is going to get to play with his toys. All Hill has to do is not cause turnovers and he will be favorably compared to Bradfords career.

That said, I share your faith in Hill. A veteran presence may actually be what the doctor ordered. Who knows. I just hope we don't give up the farm for a high desperation draft pick next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hill won ROTY where you sit? Its unfair to compare the two because

1. Bradford has never been in a regular season game with as much talent as Hill had in SF and DET. That is sad to say but true.
2. Now in 2014 when Bradford would have had NFL level talent around him, Hill is going to get to play with his toys. All Hill has to do is not cause turnovers and he will be favorably compared to Bradfords career.

That said, I share your faith in Hill. A veteran presence may actually be what the doctor ordered. Who knows. I just hope we don't give up the farm for a high desperation draft pick next year.

I agree about giving up the farm but that could happen, Snead is a gambler as we know.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think there is a drop off in ability and talent...but for what the Rams do as a team I think Hill will be very effective.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I agree about giving up the farm but that could happen, Snead is a gambler as we know.

You would think after all the gloating we did over RGMe that Snead would be the last person to overspend on a draft pick, but it could happen.

I've spent 40 yrs watching St Louis football. I'm already convinced that next years 1st round QB will bust. Ive got history on my side.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't think there's anyway Hill is or ever was as talented as Sam,but it's clear he was brought in to be better than Kellen and as so the drop off shouldn't be as severe.

I'm glad Les and some others think there won't be any drop off, talking people back from the ledge is something I can be on board with. I doubt we replicate 99 but we can be respectable even good and if things break well from here on out on the injury front we can be a payoff team still yet .
In the thread about FA QB's I mentioned Orlovsky who it would appear Detroit considered an upgrade over Hill in the same manner we did Hill over Clemens ,he might be someone we could look at come FA time.
I would love it if the Rams restructure Sams contract to a three year deal and planned to let him have 18 months to recover from this surgery

Greg Stone

Rookie
While I think there is a drop off, the one advantage Hill seems to have is better awareness of the field, the game seems a little slower for him than for Bradford. This is no doubt partly due to experience but I have to say that watching Bradford stare down receivers and not have the ability to deek the defense the way Luck could in his rookie year, I have to think it's also native talent. If Hill has the savvy that he seems to have demonstrated so far in the preseason he may be a prototypical QB for the West Coast offense that Schotty is running and may partly make up with his head what he lacks in his arm.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
seriously bro? still can't believe we're having these fucking conversations.... a week ago was all smiles then in an instant reduced to arguments and conversations like this... I'm gonna start watching golf. less stressful