Hey Fisher, get a damn QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Maybe some perspective on younger fans; From an article about hiring millienials that I refer to often:
Millennials want…
Instant Gratification & Recognition

• Millennials need to feel like what they are doing is important and that they are on the right track. Yes, it sounds a little needy…and it is. But, many Millennials grew up with constant praise from their Baby Boomer parents. It’s what they know.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Frankly, I'm not sweating it anymore. The Rams will either get a QB or I'll go ahead and root for the Jaguars until Fisher is gone. I love Bortles and the Jaguars have worked hard to build a competitive team this off-season.

I don't care how that affects my "true fan" status. The Rams are either serious about winning or they aren't. I'm not going to spend my time and energy rooting for a team that isn't serious about winning.

Well,,, I guess it's a great thing that the jags didn't listen to you and draft Teddy Melon Head Bridgewater ahead of Blake. That is what you were screaming before that draft.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Sorry. Patriots fans who aren't from the Boston area are the worst. Although fans of any of the SF area sports teams are close behind. Just because.
I have to disagree with this. Pats fans not from Boston are just harmless, spineless front-runners. Easily dismissed like Cowboys fans... But disgusting bandwagon 49ers fans not from SF are people like Chris Berman, Al Michaels, etc. and far from harmless, which makes the 49ers the worst...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/03/browns_moving_forward_on_rober.html

I like this! I like it a lot! Yes I'm trying to get this thread back on topic!
Brown said the Browns are moving forward on possibly signing quarterback Robert Griffin III and that the team is doing its due diligence. He did not sound like a signing is imminent, but those things can change. Griffin III and his agent, Ben Dogra, are not at the meetings.

Still sounds kind of up in the air, but that would be awesome if they did.
And Ben Dogra is a ruthless agent. Those talks might take a while.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe some perspective on younger fans; From an article about hiring millienials that I refer to often:
Millennials want…

• Millennials need to feel like what they are doing is important and that they are on the right track. Yes, it sounds a little needy…and it is. But, many Millennials grew up with constant praise from their Baby Boomer parents. It’s what they know.

As a representative of millennials, I resent this statement.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow, that is one of the most "holier-than-thou", conceding, arrogant statements ever on this board....
Funny cuz I thought it hit the nail directly on the head.

I couldn't give two shits honestly if Jrry decides to stop being a fan of the Rams. It's his rationale that really gives me pause. The petulant musings that the Rams aren't trying to win if they don't approach team building his way is simply the highest form of conceit from a fan and frankly I consider it quite silly.

I also find it very self serving to come onto a Rams board and make proclamations as Jrry has done. Go tell it to the JAG fans on their board as why you stopped being a Ram fan. For me it rings hollow and very narcissistic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Millennials want…

While I like this statement I unfortunately have a hard time isolating it to just millennials. Some of my fellow boomer generation suffered from noisabadword.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are a permanent part of my life. I won't miss a game for anything.

But I'm expecting a bad season if there's no change at QB.

And there is no evidence that the Rams in their current state are serious about winning. It's a business, and businesses exist to make money. If losing made more money, they would all want to lose. Trading up for a QB would make me feel better about their commitment to win. The NFL as it exists now? The Rams will make good money, win or lose. I know the coaches and players WANT to win. But you aren't serious about it if you don't put yourself in the best position possible - and in this case, that's getting a QB.

I'll gladly eat my words if Keenum leads us to the playoffs.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And there is no evidence that the Rams in their current state are serious about winning. It's a business, and businesses exist to make money. If losing made more money, they would all want to lose. Trading up for a QB would make me feel better about their commitment to win. The NFL as it exists now? The Rams will make good money, win or lose. I know the coaches and players WANT to win. But you aren't serious about it if you don't put yourself in the best position possible - and in this case, that's getting a QB.

Well, they may not feel that trading away a ton of picks this year and future years is the best way to put the Rams into position to win. If they felt Goff and/or Wentz were sure fire stars, that would be different. But they also know that things happen. Bradford was a sure fire star, after all. So was RG3. Even QBs drafted high who don't have injury problems don't always become all that's expected, and sometimes it takes years for them to reach their potential.

I think the Rams are exploring trade up options. If the right QB falls, they will be in the hunt to move up (as may other teams, of course). They may also have different views of some of the prospects than we have here on the board. They have seen all the film we have and much more, have spoken with them, investigated them, etc. Doesn't guarantee they are right - but remember, listening to message boards and random fans is what got Cleveland to trade up for Manziel. But I do think they trade up - even if a little - if there is anybody they really like that is actually reachable (moving up to #1 won't happen, they won't trade multiple future firsts).

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
But you aren't serious about it if you don't put yourself in the best position possible - and in this case, that's getting a QB.

What the hell does this even mean? First, you act as if you know what they'll do in the draft. Second, you act like they are to blame because we're not in a better position for a franchise QB. So, you want them to tank at year end for a better draft pick so they can get a QB? Contradicting the entire idea of wanting to win. Were there any QBs in the FA market better then what we already have? Debatable, but I say no. Lastly, franchise QBs don't just grow on trees. The Rams aren't the only team with this problem. It doesn't mean they don't try and fix it. They drafted Sam first overall to try and get a franchise QB. When he failed, they traded for Foles(who they thought was a franchise QB). They drafted Mannion in the hopes he could groom into a franchise QB. They're doing plenty to address the position. It just happens to be the hardest position to evaluate and find "the next Aaron Rodgers". The only part of your comment I agree with, is that the team is part of you. It too is for me, so I'll let this slide, just this once Frantik :cheers:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have the market to make far more money if they win. I'm pretty sure they want to win.

As I said, I believe the coaches and players want to win...no question.

But the same can be said for the Browns next year. The moves being made by the front office say differently. They let some good players go, they were already bad, and now they have more holes than ever to fix. That front office is essentially saying "next year's a wash, let's build on it and see where we can go from there" - they are accepting that they will be bad.

The Rams are not in that same position, but I see parallels. We have been setting up for the future for 4 years now. It's gotten old. There wasn't a single year that we were in good position to acquire a QB, with the possible exception being Blake Bortles. I'm not using hindsight to say we should have drafted him because at the time, we had Bradford. Fisher is a good enough coach to maximize what we have on the roster and that will mean continuous 7-9 seasons until we find a QB.

So yes, I would have them do SOMETHING. They tried last year, I give them huge credit for that. But it failed, and it seems that the draft is the way to go. So if they like a QB, trade everything to get him. Since we "fleeced" the Redskins, they've made the playoffs twice. They've had two seasons from the QB position that we haven't had since Kurt Warner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.

They did that once and won the series against a Yankees team whose shortstop made more than the entire Marlins lineup.

I was there.

I remember it quite well. I watched the entire series. And what have they done since? They've alienated fans by getting rid of their star players and getting rid of every single expensive player they picked up after Miami gave them the stadium they wanted. Because they care about making a profit, not creating a winning team.

How could any person root for that?

For a great many others, the Rams are woven into the fabric of their lives. They have real memories of going to (or watching) games with family and friends, and sharing experiences, so there's also a deep rooted nostalgia associated with the team. So your dismissive attitude about their importance is nothing short of a joke. They're something bigger than your idea of entertainment. They're Norm Van Brocklin, Tom Fears, Roman Gabriel, Jack Youngblood, Deacon Jones, Vince Ferragamo, Nolan Cromwell, Flipper Anderson, Eric Dickerson, Isaac Bruce, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and even Sam Bradford. They're memories, they're stories, they're life experiences, and they're important.

That's what you don't get. I've seen the Rams live. I've based my schedule year after year around what time the Rams are playing on TV. I've sacrificed time, money, etc. as a Rams fan. I remember the players. I remember the games.

But that still doesn't make them something bigger than entertainment. There are people that do the same sort of things with things all of us would think are odd or uninteresting. It's a hobby.

You see the Rams as a business who are there for your entertainment.

Like Robin Williams told Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, "You're just a kid. You don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about." Because you are, and you don't. You're very smart, but you're not ready to rub elbows with some of the fans on this board who paid their dues in the 50s and 60s and 70s. And quite frankly, I think you owe some of us an apology.

That's an odd quote to use. Because I know exactly what I'm talking about. You've gotten so tied up in your romanticized notions of what the game is and what the Rams are that you can't recognize how wrong you are here.

Want an example? Why did the Rams leave St. Louis? They had a bunch of passionate fans that absolutely loved the team. These people were talking about the same sort of experiences that you were. These people had the same sort of attachment to the team that you did. Why did the Rams leave them high and dry after trashing their city on the way out?

MONEY. That's why. The Rams aren't in the business of charity. It's why they cut Kurt Warner, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, etc. It's why they left St. Louis for greener pastures in LA. The team exists to make money. This isn't the Green Bay Packers. They aren't owned by the fans. The Rams are owned by a shrewd businessman.

The Rams are a business. They're a business that provides entertainment. The team leaving St. Louis made that so very clear to me. St. Louis didn't give them what they want so the Rams left. Well, if the Rams aren't giving me what I want, why am I obligated to keep spending my time and money on the team? Out of some delusional notion that the Rams are my family? Like they were family to the St. Louis fans?

Nah, I don't feel any obligation to continue to support this team if it isn't going to live up to my expectations. Call me a fair weather fan all you want. There is no moral high ground for the Rams after they shit all over St. Louis. They proved exactly how far their loyalty extends to the fans.

I might not have been a St. Louis area fan but I certainly am no fool. I can see what happened to them and recognize just how little the Rams valued loyalty in comparison to the almighty dollar. Why? Because they're a BUSINESS. Not a member of your family. They're not woven into the fabric of your lives. But boy do they love you thinking that because it'll keep you coming back and spending more.

Enjoy your Jaguars, Jrry. We'll be here at season's end talking about our "source of entertainment" and all of the good and bad times we shared along the way. Because that's what loyalty means, and that's what dedicated fans and friends happily endure.

Not rooting for the Rams won't stop me from liking and respecting all of you guys. But I don't feel the same sense of loyalty to the Rams any more. The Rams told us where their loyalties lie. It's not to us, the fans. It's to money.

Y'all can be here talking about the good and bad times you shared at the end of each year. That's great. But I'm no longer going to pledge my time and money without any strings attached. The Rams run a business. It's about time they start delivering results to me as a customer.

And frankly, I love football. I am crazy about football. But after everything that has happened in recent years, I also recognize that it's a business that makes money off of guys sacrificing their bodies and future health for financial security today. The teams and the league often only show the players as much "loyalty" as is convenient for them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry you feel that way. It wasn't an insult. It was an analogy. I thought you were better than that but I guess I was wrong.

Yes, it was insulting. An analogy can certainly be an insult or insulting. For example, you can say to a person, "You're dumber than a box of rocks."

That's an analogy. That's also an insult. You told me I was acting like a spoiled brat with my whining and crying over not getting what I wanted. That's insulting.

If I were going to act like a spoiled brat, I'd just stick around here as a Rams fan and spend the entire season complaining and shitting on the Rams for not doing what I wanted. I think we've all dealt with enough people on the internet to know that those type of fans do exist. Instead, I'm simply going to walk away.

Why? Because the Rams are a business. They're offering a product. If I'm unhappy with the product, I'm not going to continue to spend my time and money on it out of some irrational sense of loyalty. Especially not after the Rams showed how much loyalty means to them.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
As I said, I believe the coaches and players want to win...no question.

But the same can be said for the Browns next year. The moves being made by the front office say differently. They let some good players go, they were already bad, and now they have more holes than ever to fix. That front office is essentially saying "next year's a wash, let's build on it and see where we can go from there" - they are accepting that they will be bad.

The Rams are not in that same position, but I see parallels. We have been setting up for the future for 4 years now. It's gotten old. There wasn't a single year that we were in good position to acquire a QB, with the possible exception being Blake Bortles. I'm not using hindsight to say we should have drafted him because at the time, we had Bradford. Fisher is a good enough coach to maximize what we have on the roster and that will mean continuous 7-9 seasons until we find a QB.

So yes, I would have them do SOMETHING. They tried last year, I give them huge credit for that. But it failed, and it seems that the draft is the way to go. So if they like a QB, trade everything to get him. Since we "fleeced" the Redskins, they've made the playoffs twice. They've had two seasons from the QB position that we haven't had since Kurt Warner.

I hear what you're saying in all of this. The part I don't believe you're taking into account, is the players wishes. Yes, the players in the draft don't have much choice. But in FA, players will go where they want. So you can't fault teams like the Browns for not keeping their good players. There's a pretty good chance that those players didn't even want to come back. There's not much a team can do, when this happens. The Rams were the same way for a long time I'm sure. Players want to go somewhere they can win ball games. Typically, Cleveland is where players go to drift off into the sunset.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well,,, I guess it's a great thing that the jags didn't listen to you and draft Teddy Melon Head Bridgewater ahead of Blake. That is what you were screaming before that draft.

It is. I'm glad they grabbed Bortles. But let's not act like I didn't like Bortles. I loved the pick for the Jaguars. Had Bridgewater over him but I still ranked Bortles as one of the top prospects in that draft.

Which is why I don't have an issue with who the Rams pick at QB.(unless it's Hackenberg) Just take one of the first round caliber QBs. I like them all.(except Hackenberg)

Millennials want…

That's certainly true. Although, I think instant gratification went out the window 8 years ago. ;)

And that would be my problem. If the Rams don't address the QB position, I feel like they're on the wrong track.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Yes, it was insulting. An analogy can certainly be an insult or insulting. For example, you can say to a person, "You're dumber than a box of rocks."

That's an analogy. That's also an insult. You told me I was acting like a spoiled brat with my whining and crying over not getting what I wanted. That's insulting.

If I were going to act like a spoiled brat, I'd just stick around here as a Rams fan and spend the entire season complaining and crapping on the Rams for not doing what I wanted. I think we've all dealt with enough people on the internet to know that those type of fans do exist. Instead, I'm simply going to walk away.

Why? Because the Rams are a business. They're offering a product. If I'm unhappy with the product, I'm not going to continue to spend my time and money on it out of some irrational sense of loyalty. Especially not after the Rams showed how much loyalty means to them.
Fair enough but the only reason I said that was because you said you wouldn't root for the Rams unless they draft a QB even if they would to put a winning product with Keemun or any of our current QBs. I mean how stubborn can you be?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I remember it quite well. I watched the entire series. And what have they done since? They've alienated fans by getting rid of their star players and getting rid of every single expensive player they picked up after Miami gave them the stadium they wanted. Because they care about making a profit, not creating a winning team.

How could any person root for that?
You're making several arguments at once now, but I'll address this one. How could anyone root for that? Easy. You just do. No matter what the Ownership did, the Manager, coaches and players went out and opened up a can of whoopass. That's pretty easy to root for. And didn't Ownership provide the Manager with some pretty stout rookies and up-and-coming free agents to get the job done? That aside, what you're essentially saying is that you're disenfranchised with both Ownership and Coaching when it comes to either sport. If someone in the hierarchy fails to meet your expectations, you take it out on the team? That's kind of odd to me, but I'm not in your shoes or in your head. I don't root for Kroenke or Frontiere, or Huizenga, or Henry or Lauria. I root for Jeff Conine, A.J. Burnett, Derrek Lee, Tavon Austin, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald, Trumaine Johnson, and so on and so on. There's the distinction.

That's what you don't get. I've seen the Rams live. I've based my schedule year after year around what time the Rams are playing on TV. I've sacrificed time, money, etc. as a Rams fan. I remember the players. I remember the games.

But that still doesn't make them something bigger than entertainment. There are people that do the same sort of things with things all of us would think are odd or uninteresting. It's a hobby.
And what you don't get is that it isn't a sacrifice if you love them. And yes they are bigger than entertainment. Are you going to tell your grandkids that you wanted Paxton Lynch in the 2016 draft, or are you going to tell them about the time you saw Gurley leapfrog a defender on his way to a game-winning score, or the time you saw Mike Jones wrap up Kevin Dyson at the one yard line, or the time you took his dad to a playoff game in L.A. in 2026?

That's an odd quote to use. Because I know exactly what I'm talking about. You've gotten so tied up in your romanticized notions of what the game is and what the Rams are that you can't recognize how wrong you are here.
Nonsense. I've never been more correct about my view of the game, and there are literally hundreds of thousands of fans who feel the same way. From 15 year olds to 85 year olds. It isn't about getting a return on your DirecTV investment or your investment of time. It's about THE time.

Want an example? Why did the Rams leave St. Louis? They had a bunch of passionate fans that absolutely loved the team. These people were talking about the same sort of experiences that you were. These people had the same sort of attachment to the team that you did. Why did the Rams leave them high and dry after trashing their city on the way out?

MONEY. That's why. The Rams aren't in the business of charity. It's why they cut Kurt Warner, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, etc. It's why they left St. Louis for greener pastures in LA. The team exists to make money. This isn't the Green Bay Packers. They aren't owned by the fans. The Rams are owned by a shrewd businessman.
So? Again, I don't root for the Owner's financial portfolio. Do you? Nobody said it was a two-sided love affair either. I know the Owner could care less about me. I'm not in it for the OWNER. I'm in it for the tradition, the players, the experiences, the camaraderie, the tribalism, and a sense of pride in my loyalty and what the team accomplishes while I support them. I can no easier turn that on or off than I can turn on or off my love for my family.

The Rams are a business. They're a business that provides entertainment. The team leaving St. Louis made that so very clear to me. St. Louis didn't give them what they want so the Rams left. Well, if the Rams aren't giving me what I want, why am I obligated to keep spending my time and money on the team? Out of some delusional notion that the Rams are my family? Like they were family to the St. Louis fans?
That's the way YOU see it, but don't assume that your impersonal view of this Franchise is the correct way to approach the game or be a part of this tribe. You couldn't be any more in the minority on this if you tried. If the Rams don't give you what you want on a year to year basis, then you're going to quit/rejoin as it suits your annual temperament? Lolkay. What's delusional is the idea that you think you can continue to assimilate with a group of fans who are CLEARLY on the opposite end of the spectrum as you when it comes to being a fan of the Rams. "Hey guys, fuck this team, they're not interested in making me happy. so I'm rooting for someone else." And then 12 months later, when they make the moves you want, "Hey guys, I'm back. Rams are awesome and I'm gonna stick around until they fuck up again." Yeah, good luck with that. I'm not judging you if that's what you wanna do, but don't expect to be accepted with that twisted view of fanaticism.

Nah, I don't feel any obligation to continue to support this team if it isn't going to live up to my expectations. Call me a fair weather fan all you want. There is no moral high ground for the Rams after they crap all over St. Louis. They proved exactly how far their loyalty extends to the fans.
Ah, so now it's about how they crapped on St Louis. Not whether or not they get a QB in the upcoming draft (as per your original assertion).

I might not have been a St. Louis area fan but I certainly am no fool. I can see what happened to them and recognize just how little the Rams valued loyalty in comparison to the almighty dollar. Why? Because they're a BUSINESS. Not a member of your family. They're not woven into the fabric of your lives. But boy do they love you thinking that because it'll keep you coming back and spending more.
You keep throwing out that "they're not a member of your family" mantra, but literally NOBODY said they were. I'm not related to Ogletree. Fisher isn't my brother-in-law. Johnny Hekker isn't my son (though, I would adopt him in a second). They're not my family; but they are, and have been, a big part of my life for the better part of 37 years. And you need to make the distinction between Ownership and the Franchise as a whole. There have been a few Owners, dozens of coaches, and thousands upon thousands of players. Never once did I turn on a TV looking to get a glimpse at the Owner. Never did I compare stats between Kroenke and Jerry Jones. Never have I gone to a Sports Apparel store looking for a #1 with "Rosenbloom" on the back. I have no ties to any of the Owners. Never cared about them. Never will. I understand that it's a business, but that's not how the Rams are defined. Get that? They're memories to me. They're experiences. They're the Fearsome Foursome, they're the GSOT, they're Ground Chuck, and now they're Fisher ball. The business I leave to the businessmen. I'm not invested in portfolios.

They're not woven into the fabric of our lives? How the fuck do you know that? Were you there when The 1999 Rams winning the Super Bowl was the one thing that brought me joy during a tumultuous divorce? Were you there when I took my daughter to her first Rams game in 2004? Were you with me on my honeymoon when my wife surprised me with tickets to the ED to watch the Rams curb stomp the Panthers, and afterward watched me shake hands with Aeneas Williams and Torry Holt? Were you hanging out with me and @Selassie I in Miami and tailgating with us? Were you there when I met Isaac Bruce's family in a mall and spent an hour with them talking about how he was as a kid? Were you on the phone when Jack Youngblood gave @Thordaddy a call in the hospital shortly before he died? How about when Stedman DM'd me on Twitter thanking me for making a video of his highlights and asking me to please make another? What about all the time and philanthropy Rams players committed to the city of St Louis to help better the communities? Or when they visited cancer centers to help cheer up children (some of whom were Rams fans)? How dare you make such a flippant statement. And you wonder why I called you a kid? You think it's odd that I did? You're only reinforcing my point.

Not rooting for the Rams won't stop me from liking and respecting all of you guys. But I don't feel the same sense of loyalty to the Rams any more. The Rams told us where their loyalties lie. It's not to us, the fans. It's to money.

Y'all can be here talking about the good and bad times you shared at the end of each year. That's great. But I'm no longer going to pledge my time and money without any strings attached. The Rams run a business. It's about time they start delivering results to me as a customer.

And frankly, I love football. I am crazy about football. But after everything that has happened in recent years, I also recognize that it's a business that makes money off of guys sacrificing their bodies and future health for financial security today. The teams and the league often only show the players as much "loyalty" as is convenient for them.
See ya then.