Here’s the problem with our Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I agree with this 100%
The really cool thing is, i can agree with that without throwing darts at the GM, HC or the QB.

Another thing, if a down year means going 10-6,
9-7 or 8-8 and missing the playoffs i'm all for it. That's historically what down years look like for the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, Chiefs, Saints of the world.

I happen to believe the Rams are now in the hands of a competent regime (and QB). Peaks and valleys happen to all teams, obviously, but for most teams bottoming out means
2-14, 3-13, 4-12....remember that? I do. Does anyone here honestly <--------
see one of those type of seasons around the corner? I don't. I think if Goff and AD had both gone on IR week 3 this team would have still found a way to go find 7 or 8 wins out of this season because of the front office, coaching and overall talent here.

I have to wonder if some fans are just crabby or lack perspective over a 7-5 "good" team that just isn't as good as last seasons 13-3 elite team.

i think expectations were really high this year, I know they were for me, in his first year McVay took us to the playoffs and then the Superbowl the next. I know personally I had faith and expectations for even more improvement this year and a hunger to go right back to the big game. Maybe that was really naive but since McVay and the team raised the bar so much these past two years they raised expectations which is why this year feels so disappointing to some of us. But you're right, we still have a winning record right now and down years are bound to happen

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
It's not that complicated. The team is searching for a post-Gurley identity.

Not so sure - Gurley is going to get a huge workload the remainder of the season.

McVay is pretty transparent, despite what he says. He was simply saving Gurley for the stretch run, no doubt in my mind. It was probably tough on Gurley's confidence.

I think he is going to obliterate the Hawks on Sunday.

Nicky P

UDFA
Name
Nick
Another thing, if a down year means going 10-6,
9-7 or 8-8 and missing the playoffs i'm all for it. That's historically what down years look like for the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, Chiefs, Saints of the world.

This is it. If us being 7-5 is a down year, I'll take it. We have the young, already proven, QB and HC. We have a GM who is constantly making moves to keep us in contention (although sometimes the moves seem short-sighted).

Seattle is a "contender" at the beginning of each year. Some years are better than others but there are always peaks for every valley. The Ravens have been the same way. Sometimes it's an up year, sometimes it's a down year. But if a winning record is a down year....I'll compare that to 10 years ago and be alright with it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's not that complicated. The team is searching for a post-Gurley identity.

The thing is, they don't have to. Gurley seems fine right now. Seattle is going to be using 6 man fronts a lot. they did it last game. We were able to throw against it in the second half. Bottom line, force feed Gurley in touches. Run it, Throw it to him. Get him involved. Get them thinking about him every play and it opens up the other stuff.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The thing is, they don't have to. Gurley seems fine right now. Seattle is going to be using 6 man fronts a lot. they did it last game. We were able to throw against it in the second half. Bottom line, force feed Gurley in touches. Run it, Throw it to him. Get him involved. Get them thinking about him every play and it opens up the other stuff.

True. I was thinking more about the future as our chances of returning to the playoffs this year are... 9% or something. I do hope we finish the season with some momentum though.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The thing is, they don't have to. Gurley seems fine right now. Seattle is going to be using 6 man fronts a lot. they did it last game.

If they start the game this way, look for the Rams offense to go w/ the "quick" passing game we used against the Cardinals. And then use the running game once they give up on it because we are throwing the ball well. The short passing game has been there all year. But our problem is we want to "impose our will and throw down the field...". Take the quick outs, the Gurley check downs (even though they do have 2 really good LBs.…). Short crossers. TE screens. Make their defense cover short. Then make them stop the run.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
i think expectations were really high this year, I know they were for me, in his first year McVay took us to the playoffs and then the Superbowl the next. I know personally I had faith and expectations for even more improvement this year and a hunger to go right back to the big game. Maybe that was really naive but since McVay and the team raised the bar so much these past two years they raised expectations which is why this year feels so disappointing to some of us. But you're right, we still have a winning record right now and down years are bound to happen
I understand what you're saying about expectations. I can respect that among the fanbase. Thing is, and i don't claim to be Nostradamus...but the Super Bowl hangover thing is real and i expected this season to be a difficult road. More injuries, getting everybody's best shot week in and week out for example.

What i didn't expect was for McV to basically roll out the very same attack we'd been using for 2 years that had already begun to get stagnant and recognizable late last season. NFL DC's are too good. My expectations will be back up in 2020. McV needs to evolve his offense in the offseason. Number one priority IMO.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Dang. How many of you think (like I think) there will be at least, if not more than 50% Seadicks fans at the coliseum this Sunday night?

I don't think they will number that many but it doesn't matter if they do. They will be streaming for the exits by halftime after the arse wooping we hang on them in the 1st half.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta get Wilson down on most every opportunity knowing how often he can break down a secondary for big plays.

I want a thorough Ram beatdown! Like 31-13 would be fine for me!!!

Ram77

Rookie
Guess who has been bad against basically no opposition? Greg Zuerlein.

If he makes that kick in Seattle and the Niners lose to the Saints Sunday (which is very likely to happen), we control our own destiny to WIN THE NFC WEST.
Oh God not this again ‍.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

TexasRam

Legend
We are a missed FG, a Goaline run and a Rookie RB fumble away from being 1 game behind the Niners and Seattle and 3-0 in our divison.

The first year players on the Oline have haunted us all season. We can overcome the mistakes against teams like the Cardinals but we need them to grow up ASAP down the stretch and that is a lot to ask.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Offensive line is the real issue.

When that issue is fixed the other problems will not be as significant.
Pretty much. The flashes we've seen are when our line gets their BS together. I'd say the OL is the main issue and it doesn't have to be every play to change a great offense into a second tier unit... All that requires is inconsistency as we have seen.

But Gurley also was inconsistent early on this year, missing opportunities way more than usual. Goff same thing. And I do think McVay is dealing with subpar gameplanning from his run and pass game coordinators on offense where they have been slow to adjust to league adjustments. Lastly, I think Snead missed the boat on some roster quality at certain positions and will need to rectify those issues this offseason.

All that aside I find it remarkable we have a 7-5 record and are still in the mix for the playoffs. Also to be considered is that the OL has indeed improved with some youth in the lineup of late, which has in turn helped Gurley start to look like his old self and Goff to find a bit more consistency. And don't forget we have a secondary that took big hits with injuries and was then reloaded on the fly and might be coming together during this critical stretch.

IMO the Rams are a dangerous team. If they can get into the playoffs they're going to be an opponent nobody wants to play.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh God not this again ‍.

So you're just okay with a kicker having the 17th best FG% in the NFL? When most of his misses are in the 40-49 range, which an NFL kicker should make most of the time?

He's one of the worst performers on the team this year and should be called out for it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So you're just okay with a kicker having the 17th best FG% in the NFL? When most of his misses are in the 40-49 range, which an NFL kicker should make most of the time?

He's one of the worst performers on the team this year and should be called out for it.
I think it's fair to call him out, absolutely. We'd be 8-4 right now if he was his normal self. But he's struggled before so hopefully he'll get it together and back to the guy we don't have to worry about.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's fair to call him out, absolutely. We'd be 8-4 right now if he was his normal self. But he's struggled before so hopefully he'll get it together and back to the guy we don't have to worry about.

Agreed. I love the guy, but his performance plus our cap situation moving forward will naturally make people wonder whether he should be retained - obviously it will depend on the asking price. Currently he's a pretty good deal, and a good kicker is more valuable in this offense because he's going to be used more often - but at the same time, we would all prefer McVay, Goff and company end more drives in TDs.

He played a huge role in sending us to the Super Bowl last year - and nobody wants to end up in the Bears situation.

If I were really holding him to a crazy standard, he could have won us the Steelers game too - but that's not as cut and dry as the Seahawks game.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Several things I would like to share...

i, for one, am NOT happy with 7-5. Should be 9-3 at least but more like 10-2. We pissed away those Buc, Seahawk, and Steeler games, tbh. Still frustrates me...

I’m sensing that Wade’s D is coming together and maybe just in time. Ravens game excepted, the Rams pass D is causing problems for QB’s and the Rams run D keeps improving. I saw both Fowler and Matthews protecting the edge vs Murray and I have no doubt that they’ll be doing the same against Wilson. The interior is collapsing the pocket nicely and getting their pressures and sacks while the secondary largely smothers opposing WR’s.

Wilson played out of his mind in that first game and I seriously doubt that he can repeat that amazing performance. Meanwhile, Ramsey has been added, Joseph-Day and Gaines have improved, Rapp is now a starter, and our OL is much improved over that last game. I like our chances, frankly.

This is essentially a playoff type game for the Rams. All remaining games are. A do or die effort will be required but that does make the Rams a very dangerous team, doesn’t it?

Lastly, it’s all about this ‘new’ Ram OL. We win or lose this game based largely upon their ability to open holes for Gurley and to pass protect for Goff. Watch that Ram OL in the 1st quarter. Their performance will tell you who’s gonna win this game.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Suh made the difference on the D line in '18. He has not been replaced. Rams D line still suffers because of it.

This doesn't make sense at all.

We are much better against the run this year.

2018 - 41 sacks and 94 QB Hits
2019 - 38 sacks and 72 QB Hits with 4 games to go.

2018 - 20th in PPG allowed, 19th in yards.
2019 - 13th in PPG allowed, 12th in yards.

2018 - Opponents held under 100 yards rushing 7 times, under 75 yards 5 times
2019 - Opponents held under 100 yards rushing 9 times, under 75 yards 5 times (4 games to go)