Here's My Problem With Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I thought his combine was great.
The problem is that the word "great" has become devalued.

What was once "satisfactory" has become "great" due to the media's need to constantly inflate everything for fear of stagnation.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins

I've been down this road with some of these guys. They. Just don't get the delima...

All they see is Saffold 2.0

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This is why I really hope we trade down to 4 or so, get Watkins and then Lewan at 13 (if he's still there). But personally if Robinson is as good as advertised why not put him at RT to start.
I don't recall anyone talking about Joe Barksdale like they are Robinson. If everything worked out how many hope in the draft and FA, imagine this line.
LT-Long
LG-Saffold/Williams
C-Mack
RG-Saffold/Dahl/Yankey (Crossing my fingers for the Stanford stud in rd.2)
RT-Robinson

You can flip flop Saffold. I was just thinking what a sick left side that would be for Stacey to run behind. Not sure if Barskdale could move inside or not.

But really, this is the makings of an insanely good OL. A lot of things have to go right but I can dream.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's an unacceptable opinion.(even though I share that same opinion) ;)

Yes Jake Matthews is Ol'er who could play all five OL positions if need be. JM could be a instant fix to any OL position that has an emergency need. JM is a right & left side OL'er. JM may be a starter @ OG this season but in 2015 he will be either our starting OLT or ORT period. Can't loose on that!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol, I tend to go with what the guys accomplished/how they preformed in college over the combine, although the combine is fun to watch. (y)

I agree with you. Combine doesn't alter my opinion. It only reinforces what I saw on film or forces me to reevaluate their film if it doesn't line up with what I saw. But film dictates my evaluations.

ausmurp

Starter
It's not higher. Would you take Sammy Watkins over Jonathan Ogden?

The WR position value is entirely overrated.

You can't compare that. You mean something more like, would you take Julio Jones over Jonathan Ogden. I take Ogden though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good players find their way on the field.

I'm in the Mathews court, over Robinson, at this point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't compare that. You mean something more like, would you take Julio Jones over Jonathan Ogden. I take Ogden though.

Yea, that was poorly conveyed. I clarified later. I didn't mean it in the literal sense.

fearsomefour

Legend
My reply would be, How often do coaches use first round picks on the chance that someone will get hurt? and....First round picks are most always meant to be instant contributors, correct? Are we picking Robinson to be used down the road when Long retires? Again, a waste of a pick.
There is NO wondering if he might get hurt as he is injured now. There is no certainty he will come back week one or come back 100% of what he was before.
Barksdale is a FA next year.
So we have one proven T under contract beyond this year and he is injured. Drafting a T that can play G until he is needed is not wasted, in fact I think it is wise.
I wouldn't say either Robinson or Matthews are valued at the #2 spot....here's to a trade down.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We were both misunderstanding his statement. He's comparing the way Robinson will be used to Ogden. Not comparing Ogden to Watkins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The biggest problem with Robinson is that his wife might distract one of our star prospects in 25 years' time.

Man, it took me a while to figure out what the hell you we're talking about. I am getting slower in my old age I guess, but not too old. That movie was before my time slightly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Because it's a stretch. And no, Barron didn't climb the board. If anything he fell because he was a top tier talent that just didn't have the desire and teams wisely passed on him.

Comparing Robinson to Barron is a stretch. Barron lacked desire and Robinson has plenty of it. But, the background stuff should be a concern. He was brought up by the same Mother. While he showed great judgement in taking the opposite path as his brothers, they had similar up bringing. Will they pose a problem for him down he road? Off field distractions can become a problem. It could be nothing but should not be ignored.

I still like Matthews better. I don't pick OLTs unless I am certain that they can pass block very well. But I admit that Robinson is a fit for the power running scheme that the Rams use. Very enticing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comparing Robinson to Barron is a stretch. Barron lacked desire and Robinson has plenty of it. But, the background stuff should be a concern. He was brought up by the same Mother. While he showed great judgement in taking the opposite path as his brothers, they had similar up bringing. Will they pose a problem for him down he road? Off field distractions can become a problem. It could be nothing but should not be ignored.

I still like Matthews better. I don't pick OLTs unless I am certain that they can pass block very well. But I admit that Robinson is a fit for the power running scheme that the Rams use. Very enticing.

I like Matthews better too but the kid is trying to do well for himself. He shouldn't be shackled by what his brothers did.