Here's My Problem With Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Where do you play him?

Do you move him to RT to start out his career? Barksdale has never played guard. It doesn't make much sense to move him there.

Do you play Robinson at guard? Why would you draft a guy @ #2 and stick him at guard, when you could draft a guy in the second that could play the position better, and not eat up your first round pick?

Do you play him at LT and move Jake Long to RT? What about Barksdale again? Jake Long probably isn't going to move to RT at all. I think this option just shakes up the line way too much.

So what do we do with him if we take him early in the first? Either at #2 or at a trade down from 4-6?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Start him at RT from the beginning. No need to use the #2 pick on a temp. guard/backup.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Start him at RT from the beginning. No need to use the #2 pick on a temp. guard/backup.

We don't need him though. That's the point. Barksdale has been good since starting, and is only going to get better. So that kicks Robinson in to guard.

It's all my opinion, of course. But, seems like a wasted pick.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The biggest problem with Robinson is that his wife might distract one of our star prospects in 25 years' time.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
We don't need him though. That's the point. Barksdale has been good since starting, and is only going to get better. So that kicks Robinson in to guard.

Let me ask you a question then. What do you do at LT the year after when Long inevitably gets injured and gets cut, or retires?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Let me ask you a question then. What do you do at LT the year after when Long inevitably gets injured and gets cut, or retires?

My reply would be, How often do coaches use first round picks on the chance that someone will get hurt? and....First round picks are most always meant to be instant contributors, correct? Are we picking Robinson to be used down the road when Long retires? Again, a waste of a pick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have no qualms about putting him in at G and then let coach B work with him on his pass pro. This is going to be a run heavy offense. No need to rush Robinson at either Tackle spot IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

But there's no guarantee that he could get better.

Remember Clifton Ryan, Victor Adeyenju, Ron Bartell, Rok Watkins, etc...a lot of people thought these guys we're our *insert position here* of the future. None of those guys panned out.

I'm not "slamming the door" (ugh...cliches) on Joe Barksdale, tho and there's always the other side he could become even better than last year. But if that happens, he's gonna want to get paid (and I won't blame him) and he's a FA after this year. There's no guarantee here either, that he'll be on the roster if that happens. Taking Greg Robinson gives us both depth and starter.

I'm not necessarily pro or anti taking OT, just that whoever does get picked needs to be playing quite a bit his rookie year, not riding the bench or playing a temp. position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not see any problems with Gerald Robinson period. He is an instant insertion as the starting OLG we need one don't have one. GR would & could be the OLT in TC & pre season & into the early season while Jake Long is rehabbing.

If Jake Long's multiple injuries & surgeries degrade his ability to pass protect @ OLT then Robinson will get his chance to re-leave the struggling ailing Long from his OLT post. Boudreau could switch GR & JL on that left side & then JL could take over the ORT post in 2015 when Barksdale departs. GR is a left side OL'er Rams have holes & issues on the left side now!

How could any of that be a problem? that GR could not help to be a none problem? sorry I see GR as the cure for what ails the Ram OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where do you play him?

Do you move him to RT to start out his career? Barksdale has never played guard. It doesn't make much sense to move him there.

Do you play Robinson at guard? Why would you draft a guy @ #2 and stick him at guard, when you could draft a guy in the second that could play the position better, and not eat up your first round pick?

Do you play him at LT and move Jake Long to RT? What about Barksdale again? Jake Long probably isn't going to move to RT at all. I think this option just shakes up the line way too much.

So what do we do with him if we take him early in the first? Either at #2 or at a trade down from 4-6?

You play Robinson at Guard. And the idea that you can get a guy in the 2nd that plays the position better is far-fetched. Robinson is by far the most powerful guy in the class, he's huge and he possesses a very strong anchor. The man would flat-out dominate at the Guard position. David Yankey is my #1 OG in this class and he has the same sort of strengths as Robinson with the same sort of weaknesses(hand use, punch timing, over-aggression leading to getting off balance, etc.)...yet Yankey doesn't even approach Robinson's power, athleticism and anchor.

Why would you draft him at #2 and stick him at Guard? Because once you hit the field, the LG position is every bit as important as the LT position. LTs are drafted higher because their skill-set is more scarce(rare). Robinson does not lose the ability to play LT by playing LG until Jake Long departs. If anything, it'll be a good thing as he's a bit raw right now in pass pro...playing LG would definitely help him.

For reference, a guy by the name of Jonathan Ogden on the Ravens came in and played LG as a rookie. I don't think many people would tell you that the Ravens made a mistake there.

We'd take him in a trade down imo.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
My reply would be, How often do coaches use first round picks on the chance that someone will get hurt? and....First round picks are most always meant to be instant contributors, correct? Are we picking Robinson to be used down the road when Long retires? Again, a waste of a pick.

He will play at guard or tackle and be an instant contributor. Dominate left tackle prospects don't grow on trees. Unless you're counting on drafting in the top 5 again next year, don't count on getting one. The Rams need offense. Considering the offense they've chosen to run, I think he gives them the best chance to succeed going forward.

Also, if the Rams aren't making a backup plan for Long getting hurt next year, then we have the wrong people in charge. We may be spending our first pick next year on a quarterback if not.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Id play him at RT, I may be wrong but isn't the right side the power tackle side, better for the run game? he's a very good run blocker and his pass blocking is not as good so I play him at RT.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Id play him at RT, I may be wrong but isn't the right side the power tackle side, better for the run game? he's a very good run blocker and his pass blocking is not as good so I play him at RT.
I'd use him at LG, the Rams weakest link, and also, keep him, and get him used to the left side, my opinion. Eventually he'd be our LT.

ausmurp

Starter
Jake Long is known for his run blocking right? We should move him to RT and draft Matthews to play LT. I'm not sold on Robinson either, boom or bust imo. Off field concerns that nobody is pointing out as well - two older brothers in and out of prison for drugs, owes college teammates $ he borrowed to pay mom and sibs rent, etc etc. Matthews is a much safer pick. Didn't Alex Barron and Jason Smith climb the big board in similar fashion too?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You play Robinson at Guard. And the idea that you can get a guy in the 2nd that plays the position better is far-fetched. Robinson is by far the most powerful guy in the class, he's huge and he possesses a very strong anchor. The man would flat-out dominate at the Guard position. David Yankey is my #1 OG in this class and he has the same sort of strengths as Robinson with the same sort of weaknesses(hand use, punch timing, over-aggression leading to getting off balance, etc.)...yet Yankey doesn't even approach Robinson's power, athleticism and anchor.

Why would you draft him at #2 and stick him at Guard? Because once you hit the field, the LG position is every bit as important as the LT position. LTs are drafted higher because their skill-set is more scarce(rare). Robinson does not lose the ability to play LT by playing LG until Jake Long departs. If anything, it'll be a good thing as he's a bit raw right now in pass pro...playing LG would definitely help him.

For reference, a guy by the name of Jonathan Ogden on the Ravens came in and played LG as a rookie. I don't think many people would tell you that the Ravens made a mistake there.

We'd take him in a trade down imo.

So, you'd take him on a trade down. Where could you take Robinson to play LG, and not get better value at a different position at the top of this draft? 4-6? That could work, but is still high for a guard, IMO

ausmurp

Starter
Jake Long is known for his run blocking right? We should move him to RT and draft Matthews to play LT. I'm not sold on Robinson either, boom or bust imo. Off field concerns that nobody is pointing out as well - two older brothers in and out of prison for drugs, owes college teammates $ he borrowed to pay mom and sibs rent, etc etc. Matthews is a much safer pick. Didn't Alex Barron and Jason Smith climb the big board in similar fashion too?

Not sure why nobody else has said these things about Robinson...

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'd use him at LG, the Rams weakest link, and also, keep him, and get him used to the left side, my opinion. Eventually he'd be our LT.

Id much rather take Matthews though tbh, but yea I know what you mean as in getting him ready to take over the LT position eventually.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Id much rather take Matthews though tbh, but yea I know what you mean as in getting him ready to take over the LT position eventually.

Matthews has significant time at both Right and Left tackle. He's got the versatility that Fisher loves.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
So the same argument could be made for Clowney here @ChrisW . Do the Rams not take Clowney at 2nd overall if they think he's a once in a lifetime prospect? They already have 2 great defensive ends.