Here's how each team has faired drafting relative to their draft capital

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eh, it's just too hard to do revisionist history with drafts. I understand what you're saying but Laurinaitis was a pretty good mlb the first half of his career. Ironically he dipped off dramatically after that 2012 season due to stacking injuries if i remember but 2012 was his best.

But looking at drafts in hindsight are almost impossible. If we do take Wagner we likely change how we draft for the next 8 years completely. We have Wagner but it might cause chips to fall where we don't draft Aaron Donald which causes us to miss the super bowl. Of course maybe we still draft AD and have Wagner and we win a super bowl. There's just too many dominoes in play to look back and say this move or that move was terrible for us. The pick(s) itself, at face value, don't equal Wagner for sure, so yeah, with nothing else taken into consideration I agree it was a bad move. But when looking at how teams perform in draft you really have to look at all the years as a whole and can't fixate on a few missed picks.

True, but it’s about patterns. I get trading back when there isn’t talent that a GM likes, but Snead has traded back when there is talent to be had. It’s like he’s more interested in amassing picks than taken the best available. I understand that he may be following his board. But when you see reports that they loved this player or that player then passed on them or got jumped by another team, I question does he get too wrapped up in wanting more picks or bring trader Les? We all have egos. I’d imagine being a successful NFL GM would come with a pretty big one, especially when the press and fans praises you for your moves.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, but it’s about patterns. I get trading back when there isn’t talent that a GM likes, but Snead has traded back when there is talent to be had. It’s like he’s more interested in amassing picks than taken the best available. I understand that he may be following his board. But when you see reports that they loved this player or that player then passed on them or got jumped by another team, I question does he get too wrapped up in wanting more picks or bring trader Les? We all have egos. I’d imagine being a successful NFL GM would come with a pretty big one, especially when the press and fans praises you for your moves.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's worth pointing out that they can say they loved Wagner all day long - but if they had any idea of how good he would actually become, they would have drafted him in the first round.

So that trade back, in, their minds at the time was probably, we think this guy might be a good starter.

If anything Snead is making himself look bad trying to do what so many people do - let the world know he was right about something. As you point out, it makes the trade down look stupid.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's worth pointing out that they can say they loved Wagner all day long - but if they had any idea of how good he would actually become, they would have drafted him in the first round.

So that trade back, in, their minds at the time was probably, we think this guy might be a good starter.

If anything Snead is making himself look bad trying to do what so many people do - let the world know he was right about something. As you point out, it makes the trade down look stupid.

The story was that Snead like Wagner and Fisher loved him and Fisher was angry when the trade back failed when Seattle took Wagner. Many RoD members wanted them to take Wagner too.

overall Snead has done a good job. I just think he sticks too closely to his theory that having more picks is better because all picks are tied to a certain percentage chance of failure. by having more picks he can guarantee getting some good players.