Here's how each team has faired drafting relative to their draft capital

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
That 2018 draft is really hurt by injuries. Noteboom would be a starter if we didn't have Whitworth. Kiser, Obo, and Howard have all struggled with injuries after flirting with being starters or probable starters since we drafted them. SJD really saves that draft class so far. Hopefully next season we see big contributions from Obo and Howard for 16 games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Noteboom wouldn’t be starting. They would have replaced him. The Rams don’t likely reach the Super Bowl without Whitworth.

I could argue that OLT would have been a bigger priority than Ramsey and Trent Williams could have become a Ram instead of a 49er.

I factor injury into the equation too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Noteboom wouldn’t be starting. They would have replaced him. The Rams don’t likely reach the Super Bowl without Whitworth.

I could argue that OLT would have been a bigger priority than Ramsey and Trent Williams could have become a Ram instead of a 49er.

I factor injury into the equation too.
If Noteboom would have been unhealthy..... yes he would not be starting but if healthy he is far and above any other current Ram OL'er. Do you have another Ram in mind? I can not say too much positive about Noteboom's two initial starting seasons 2019/2020 @ LG Elmgrovegnome.....I felt he should have not been placed in that post....but I do think Noteboom is NFL starting LT material in the NFL.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Noteboom would have been unhealthy..... yes he would not be starting but if healthy he is far and above any other current Ram OL'er. Do you have another Ram in mind? I can not say too much positive about Noteboom's two initial starting seasons 2019/2020 @ LG Elmgrovegnome.....I felt he should have not been placed in that post....but I do think Noteboom is NFL starting LT material in the NFL.

Nope. I meant Noteboom. He looks like a back up OLT to me.

TexasRam

Legend
Noteboom is one of more than a few examples of Snead and company drinking their own cool aid. Instead of taking a player at position of need they either waited too late in the draft or moved back to take a player at the position. Other Fails include Brian Allen, Taylor Rapp, Probably Van Jefferson.

To be fair, every team misses on players. But their insistence on shipping picks because of their own confidence in scouting is beginning to water down the overall talent on the team. Now you need to either pick up Free agents and hose up the 22-23 cap or have one hell of a draft in 22-23 without any first rounders.

Sometimes drafting potential will bite you in the ass. Taking the player that is better by most talent evaluators shouln't be dismissed so easily because you think your scouts are so good.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Noteboom is one of more than a few examples of Snead and company drinking their own cool aid. Instead of taking a player at position of need they either waited too late in the draft or moved back to take a player at the position. Other Fails include Brian Allen, Taylor Rapp, Probably Van Jefferson.

Taylor Rapp has been productive when healthy, no?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep as I've been saying for a while now, the Rams draft well.

Just because guys don't turn into all pros doesn't mean they aren't good picks

Psycho_X

Legend

I would much rather have a competent backup LT, especially when your starter is in his later 30s, than a possible starter at a less important position. Boom isn't as good in the run game but he is able to replace Whitworth in pass blocking without missing much of a beat. If we had to put in some scrub this year when Whitworth goes down we might not even make the playoffs imo. Rapp was a bit over drafted by us but has been a solid to good contributor when healthy and VJ is going to ball this upcoming season.

One thing Snead does is he generally drafts a year in advance for when they are truly needed or possibly needed. Rookies are, as a general rule, shit players their first year so they don't usually look at them as starters year 1 barring injuries or a rookie really kicking ass like Fuller did.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

To be fair, every team misses on players. But their insistence on shipping picks because of their own confidence in scouting is beginning to water down the overall talent on the team. Now you need to either pick up Free agents and hose up the 22-23 cap or have one hell of a draft in 22-23 without any first rounders.

Sometimes drafting potential will bite you in the ass. Taking the player that is better by most talent evaluators shouln't be dismissed so easily because you think your scouts are so good.

Agreed. The poster boy for this is Bobby Wagner. They traded back instead because Snead felt he would still be there. What did they end up with? A RB and Olineman that amounted to doodly squat.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Rapp was just a casualty of a change of scheme. He's a guy who fits a classic SS role and was on his way to being a real nice player his rookie season in Wade's system. Changing not only to a heavy split safety look but also a scheme that was very diverse on the back end was a lot for him to handle.

They might trade him because of that too. Not sure he's what they want back there we'll see here soon on that though.

Psycho_X

Legend
Agreed. The poster boy for this is Bobby Wagner. They traded back instead because Snead felt he would still be there. What did they end up with? A RB and Olineman that amounted to doodly squat.

Sure, in hindsight Wagner has been a great player but we had Laurinaitis in his prime at that time so how was Wagner a need? We did have a need at DT, K and CB though and we got starters Brockers, Jenkins, and Zuerlein plus Tru Johnson as a future starter out of the draft. Also a few contributors in Givens and Daryl Richardson. Hard for me to say Snead screwed up in his first draft as a GM because he traded down and didn't take a LB we didn't need.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless I’m not understanding this correctly wouldn’t trading our firsts away help our draft relative to capital equation? As in create less capital and less expectation? Meaning a lesser draft is now rated higher because capital was low?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the reverse was true about Noteboom.... where he was a better run blocker than pass blocker then I would agree with you fully.

It's my belief that there are over a dozen pocket passing teams that would start Noteboom today. I also think if Noteboom has lined up & started @ OT for KC that SB would have ended much differently.
I think Rapp was just a casualty of a change of scheme. He's a guy who fits a classic SS role and was on his way to being a real nice player his rookie season in Wade's system. Changing not only to a heavy split safety look but also a scheme that was very diverse on the back end was a lot for him to handle. They might trade him because of that too. Not sure he's what they want back there we'll see here soon on that though.
Taylor Rapp just had a bunch of bad luck & a terrible season altogether. The Staley scheme change from Wade was real bad for his skill set but then he had his first major NFL knee injury in TC when he needed tons of time with the #1 team in practice.....never happened. Rapp's position in the safety cadre has moved down below all the other safeties like Jordan Fuller, JuJu Hughes, JR Reed, Nick Scott & Terrell Burgess.

On top of that, his rehabbing event was slow & It took forever for him to get healthy then to cap the 2020 season off he reinjured that same knee. If DC Morris runs most of the scheme that Staley did then Rapp is a bad fit plus he's coming off an injury-plagued season. Going to be really hard to regroup & get anything in return for him in a trade before the draft. Strong Safeties with major deficiencies in coverage can be found easily in the loaded NFL WWC lines. Rapp has a 2021 cap hit close to $1.3 million.

I look @ Snead's top 2019 draft selection Rapp as being another Gerald Everett non impact player event

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If DC Morris runs most of the scheme that Staley did then Rapp is a bad fit plus he's coming off an injury-plagued season. Going to be really hard to regroup & get anything in return for him in a trade before the draft. Strong Safeties with major deficiencies in coverage can be found easily in the loaded NFL WWC lines. Rapp has a 2021 cap hit close to $1.3 million.
Yeah if they do decide he isn't ideal for this scheme I have no idea what they'd get for him.

Last year for example he did one thing exceptionally well which were the run fits from up high where he'd be a part of that pre-snap split look then come down to support off the edge. His run support abilities are definitely valuable to this scheme but if he's going to be phased out it's better to move him to another team or just move him to a nickelbacker role where he stays in the box. At a minimum he'd be able to replace Young who was terrible outside of the occasional flash.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the reverse was true about Noteboom.... where he was a better run blocker than pass blocker then I would agree with you fully.

It's my belief that there are over a dozen pocket passing teams that would start Noteboom today. I also think if Noteboom has lined up & started @ OT for KC that SB would have ended much differently.
Taylor Rapp just had a bunch of bad luck & a terrible season altogether. The Staley scheme change from Wade was real bad for his skill set but then he had his first major NFL knee injury in TC when he needed tons of time with the #1 team in practice.....never happened. Rapp's position in the safety cadre has moved down below all the other safeties like Jordan Fuller, JuJu Hughes, JR Reed, Nick Scott & Terrell Burgess.

On top of that, his rehabbing event was slow & It took forever for him to get healthy then to cap the 2020 season off he reinjured that same knee. If DC Morris runs most of the scheme that Staley did then Rapp is a bad fit plus he's coming off an injury-plagued season. Going to be really hard to regroup & get anything in return for him in a trade before the draft. Strong Safeties with major deficiencies in coverage can be found easily in the loaded NFL WWC lines. Rapp has a 2021 cap hit close to $1.3 million.

I look @ Snead's top 2019 draft selection Rapp as being another Gerald Everett non impact player event

KC didn't have their starting tackles in that game. In fact their top three tackles were out with injuries. So if you are saying the Rams backup OLT is better than the guy the Chiefs started at OLT then maybe you are right, but it wouldnt really be saying alk that much since he would be considered the fourth string OLT.

Center Austin Reiter was the only starter on that entire line. Andrew While was a starter but at right guard. Remmers and Alleged tri were backups and Wisniewski is a journeyman who was released by the Steelers. I doubt Scaffold could have made any difference on that offensive line. I disagree that there are a dozen teams that would start him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure, in hindsight Wagner has been a great player but we had Laurinaitis in his prime at that time so how was Wagner a need? We did have a need at DT, K and CB though and we got starters Brockers, Jenkins, and Zuerlein plus Tru Johnson as a future starter out of the draft. Also a few contributors in Givens and Daryl Richardson. Hard for me to say Snead screwed up in his first draft as a GM because he traded down and didn't take a LB we didn't need.

Fisher and Snead reportedly loved Wagner and Snead to the risk, which Fisher was not happy about. Laureniatis was mediocre and certainly upgradeable. Drafting only for need isn't always the best strategy nor the way teams always draft. But it was one example of a trade back when they should have made the pick instead, which was what I replied to.

Brockers was the best Rams pick in that draft. Jenkins and Tru were starters but mistake prone and, 20 Peads 30 Rok Watkins weren't worth that trade back. Sometimes its better to just take the best player on your board.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I would say Terrell Lewis, or maybe even Burgess, instead of Jefferson. I think Van's going to be a fine player. In the 3rd, we kept moving back and just missed drafting a center in Cushenberry. We took a chance on an injury-prone LB and a safety that was outperformed by another that was drafted in a later round.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I predict Burgess will be a player. He was just starting to make waves then got hurt. JMO

Psycho_X

Legend
Fisher and Snead reportedly loved Wagner and Snead to the risk, which Fisher was not happy about. Laureniatis was mediocre and certainly upgradeable. Drafting only for need isn't always the best strategy nor the way teams always draft. But it was one example of a trade back when they should have made the pick instead, which was what I replied to.

Brockers was the best Rams pick in that draft. Jenkins and Tru were starters but mistake prone and, 20 Peads 30 Rok Watkins weren't worth that trade back. Sometimes its better to just take the best player on your board.

Eh, it's just too hard to do revisionist history with drafts. I understand what you're saying but Laurinaitis was a pretty good mlb the first half of his career. Ironically he dipped off dramatically after that 2012 season due to stacking injuries if i remember but 2012 was his best.

But looking at drafts in hindsight are almost impossible. If we do take Wagner we likely change how we draft for the next 8 years completely. We have Wagner but it might cause chips to fall where we don't draft Aaron Donald which causes us to miss the super bowl. Of course maybe we still draft AD and have Wagner and we win a super bowl. There's just too many dominoes in play to look back and say this move or that move was terrible for us. The pick(s) itself, at face value, don't equal Wagner for sure, so yeah, with nothing else taken into consideration I agree it was a bad move. But when looking at how teams perform in draft you really have to look at all the years as a whole and can't fixate on a few missed picks.