Henderson takes Tavon's missing role in offense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'll admit, I wasn't stoked on Henderson right away but that was mostly because I didn't know much about him (and my emotions were more tied to what I imagined this could mean for Gurley's enigmatic knee). I'm certainly getting more pumped with what I'm seeing and reading now and I can't help but compare him (matchup-wise) to Tavon Austin.

It does seem like one of the things missing from the offense last year was that jet-sweep threat. Sure, we used it out of 11 personnel with WRs but it never had the dynamic threat that we had when Tavon was there.

Henderson seems like he could offer the explosiveness of Tavon with surer hands (and maybe with time, better route running - that wouldn't take much even for a RB).

When McVay talked about scheme flexibility - aside from lining the guy at at RB to spell Gurley - this was what I was thinking.

jjab360

Legend
I would say Cooks sufficiently took over Tavon's gadget role while doubling as a full time receiver. Henderson is more like a mini Gurley in his running style imo, not much shiftiness just gets from point A to point B as fast as possible with the velocity to match. I'm not saying the knee is an ongoing issue but I would say it opened their eyes to life without Gurley because they went out and got such a similar player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Henderson can definitely be an option on the jet sweep, but right now, I see him as more of a kick/punt returner and change of pace back. Malcolm Brown and John Kelly should also be options at backup running back. (I see Davis getting cut.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember when people thought Tavon's threat made the offense go? :ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt that. Henderson will likely handle KRs and operate as a change of pace HB.

dang

Legend
I see the RBs as follows:
1A - Todd Gurley - power runner/getting 70% or RB touches
1B - Darrell Henderson - finesse runner/getting 30% of RB touches
2 - Malcolm Brown - power runner/backup to Gurley should Gurley get hurt/mop up duty when the game is over
3 - John Kelly - finesse runner/insurance if 1A/1B/2 get hurt/probable practice squad
Justin Davis - buh bye

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 - Malcolm Brown - power runner/backup to Gurley should Gurley get hurt/mop up duty when the game is over
3 - John Kelly - finesse runner/insurance if 1A/1B/2 get hurt/probable practice squad
Justin Davis - buh bye

I expect them to have 4 RBs on the roster, although only 3 game day actives. So Kelly will be there, but not get playing time - unless he makes it onto special teams. And Henderson will likely be a kickoff returner, so that limits Kelly's chances.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavons role? You mean jet sweeps that are now done by all the WR's and the TE on occasion? He was replace before he left the team. Henderson will be what McVay wanted from Lance Dunbar. A speedy change of pace back and likely a kick returner and/or punt returner.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I must admit, I was thinking the same thing.

And then thought we let Tavon go when he was going to get maybe next to nothing.

I think there are different plans here.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
If they needed someone to take over Tavon's play of running up the middle for no gain, they should have drafted me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Do you mean Henderson will fill the role that Tavon never could?

Jet sweeps. Swing passes. Kick Return. Deep threat. All of what Tavon was supposed to excel at.

I hope Henderson is much more.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Justin Davis - buh bye

I see it as:

1. Gurley
2.Brown
3. Henderson
4. John Kelly in mop up snaps

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see it as:

1. Gurley
2.Brown
3. Henderson
4. John Kelly in mop up snaps
I agree but really 2 and 3 is really just labeling. Brown imo is Gurleys backup while Henderson is a change of pace. I’m thinking like the Bears use Cohen is what Henderson is.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, he takes Tavon's role and I imagine the execution will be much better. Perhaps I'm in the minority here but Tavon offered us a bit more formation flexibility than what we had after he left and that seems to be what McVay was talking about in his presser. When you have an offense performing at a high level like ours, it's small items like that that take it to the very next level.

Yes, I see Henderson primarily as a change-of-pace back but having him 2-5 plays a game split wide with either Gurley or Brown in the backfield will present a problem for defenses.

I don't know if the guy has returned kicks/punts but that would be excellent to have him as a possibility there. Having Brown back for KR is no thing to sneeze at though.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Out of all those plays on the highlights, I only saw Henderson go down once. In the endzone. I know we're only looking at highlights, but he's faster than I thought and shiftier than I thought. On the early plays in that video he made a couple nice moves to make people miss. I hope this kid is the real deal. Imagine the two headed monster we could have with him and a rested Gurley?

dang

Legend
Henderson clearly looks a cut above his competition in the highlights but a lot of shoddy tackling.