Help me out on the "blind side hit" penalty

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
On TA's punt return. I don't see how this is illegal. Is it a new rule?

I've seen tons of hits like that. Guy gets an interception, while running it back someone on the offense doesn't see it coming. It's not from behind. I don't get it. Really pissed me off

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Re: Help me out on the

Ebonemalone said:

I've seen tons of hits like that. Guy gets an interception, while running it back someone on the offense doesn't see it coming. It's not from behind. I don't get it. Really pissed me off

It's now a judgement call by the refs.

Those calls shocked me as well. Basically if the other guy can't see you coming you better just yell at him to leave your team alone. :cheese:

Ebonemalone

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
EastRam said:
Ebonemalone said:

Those calls shocked me as well. Basically if the other guy can't see you coming you better just yell at him to leave your team alone. :cheese:

Haha

But really if they keep making more pansy rules it won't be fun anymore!

EastRam

Pro Bowler

Ebonemalone said:
EastRam said:
Ebonemalone said:

Haha

I'm gonna be a grandpa for the second time in a couple weeks. My son was watching the game with me and after the first BS call I put my hand on his shoulder and told him when your son reaches your age you will be watching golf.

Football will be over as we know it.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
EastRam said:
Ebonemalone said:
EastRam said:
Ebonemalone said:

Haha

I'm gonna be a grandpa for the second time in a couple weeks. My son was watching the game with me and after the first BS call I put my hand on his shoulder and told him when your son reaches your age you will be watching golf.

Football will be over as we know it.

Idk if you know Southpark. But it'll turn into Sarcasta-ball

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

Ebonemalone said:

I think what you're missing, is that there was also an illegial block in the back that wasn't even called and it was the most egregious penalty of all....that would have been 3 penalties on the play. :bummed:

However, that push off in the end zone on Finnegan is pass interference 80% of the time.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

ramsince62 said:
Ebonemalone said:

I think what you're missing, is that there was also an illegial block in the back that wasn't even called and it was the most egregious penalty of all....that would have been 3 penalties on the play. :bummed:

However, that push off in the end zone on Finnegan is pass interference 80% of the time.

Not if you wear #88 in Dallas. M. Irvin cheated his way into the HOF with exactly that move.

RamzFanz

Damnit

"3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side."

Wonderboy

Rookie

Ebonemalone said:
EastRam said:
Ebonemalone said:

Haha

I'm less worried about whether or not the game is still "fun" as I am how do you coach these guys. So how are you supposed to block that guy? If you can't hit him, what do you do? Do you just get in his way and let him run you over? Then is it a hold because you brought him to the ground? I don't get it. The abundance of rules to please someone that doesn't play the game seems a lot like the way congress works to me! It just doesn't make sense.

Wonderboy

Rookie

RamzFanz said:
"3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side."

That's interesting, because according to that it shouldn't have been a penalty. Because McDonald clearly threw his body into the other guys mid-section IN ORDER to avoid his head and neck. The problem is, he hit him too hard. THAT was the real penalty. It will be called soon.

Ref: Personal Foul, #25 of the return team, hitting too hard. 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul. First down Rams. Time-out.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I was just watching a little bit of the DET/Skins game and one of the Detroit DB's came off a WR to tackle the WR that caught the ball. He made what I would think is a 100% legal hit. It really wasn't even that hard. The WR got right up like it wasn't even that bad. Well, REF's called uneccessary roughness. I was sitting in amazement that they called it.

The NFL is trying to make the game safer, which I get. But at the same time they are giving the REF's way too much power and IMO they're helping teams keep a drive alive that shouldn't be. That call on the RAMS looked like a perfectly legal hit to me.

P.S. They DID call the illegal block in the back, it was just declined and they took the 15 yarder instead.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Wonderboy said:
RamzFanz said:

That's interesting, because according to that it shouldn't have been a penalty. Because McDonald clearly threw his body into the other guys mid-section IN ORDER to avoid his head and neck. The problem is, he hit him too hard. THAT was the real penalty. It will be called soon.

Ref: Personal Foul, #25 of the return team, hitting too hard. 15 yard penalty from the spot of the foul. First down Rams. Time-out.

Yeah, I didn't review the hit, just quoting the NFL.

Isn't Jeff Fisher on the safety committee that creates these rules?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Wonderboy said:
RamzFanz said:

Exactly right. It was a bone jarring block but TOTALLY legal and right to the middle of the body. WTF? The effing zebra called it because it was a hard unexpected hit. Ah... I remember the unwritten rule about ALWAYS expect the hit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

RamzFanz said:
Wonderboy said:
RamzFanz said:

Yeah, I didn't review the hit, just quoting the NFL.

Isn't Jeff Fisher on the safety committee that creates these rules?

Competition committee - but I think safety falls under their cloak as well.

BobCarl

Rookie

I get the feeling that Fisher offended the officials in the off season ... and the Rams are gonna get an unwritten code of "eff you Fisher" all season long.

Lesson

Oh, really?

RamzFanz said:

By that definition, it shouldn't have been ruled a blind side. McDonald led with his shoulder pads and hit the Cowboy in the chest. There was also one on McGee later on, but I didn't even see where he was on the play.

Pho Kadat

Rookie

For your viewing pleasure:

dallasstlouisblock.gif

Might have been considered around the neck area? I don't know, looked fine to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Pho Kadat said:
For your viewing pleasure:

dallasstlouisblock.gif

Might have been considered around the neck area? I don't know, looked fine to me.
BS call. Great hit and i hope TJ doesn't back off in the future.
Thanks for posting

Fisher in today's press conference said it was a clean block and when slowed down shouldn't have been a foul but of course in real time it looks like it could be one