Help a Ram fan stay upbeat this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
I understand the concept of building from "inside out" per head coach Jeff Fisher. What I cannot comprehend is with a possible franchise QB in Bradford why wasn't the OL fixed first before DL or given the same priority as DL for the first 4 years?

Lets look at Dallas, Seahawks, Detroit, Packers, Philly (nearly made the playoffs) in NFC who made playoffs last year and all of them have above average to elite OLs. Even division rivals 49ers and Seahawks all had solid offensive lines combined with great defenses that propelled them to success in the last 4 years. In addition to OL strengths- Seahawks, Packers, Dallas and Detroit have QBs who can be called "franchise QBs". Arizona, Detroit, who defied statistics can attribute success to slightly above average QBs, excellent skill position players on offense and proven excellent offensive minds coaching them.

This brings me to Rams. I am concerned that weakest link of this team, the OL which proved so pivotal to other NFC teams that made playoffs last year, is going hold the Rams back again this year. It is easier to think the numbers thrown at OL is going to make a difference.

But given injuries in NFL, which are inevitable, that can quickly erode this OL that lacks any depth, the lack of experience on the line, lack of above average QB, no proven offensive coordinator at this level, a big list of offensive players who are still in "to-be-decided-if-I-am-good" phase....

please provide reasons to be upbeat for this season as OTAs are coming to an end.

Big Willie

Starter
From 2008 to 2010 the Rams selected 3 OL in the first 3 rounds. Those 3 should be the leaders and core of that elite OL you are referencing. Only Saffold is still around, and he is still not a all pro. Jason Smith was a wasted pick, and John Greco is long gone. In short, they Rams missed on OL in the past and are still paying the price. The upside is that they have now put all their resources towards fixing their past mistakes with 8 OL selected since 2013, including 4 this year. Keep Foles healthy and we should be knocking on the playoff door.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I understand the concept of building from "inside out" per head coach Jeff Fisher. What I cannot comprehend is with a possible franchise QB in Bradford why wasn't the OL fixed first before DL or given the same priority as DL for the first 4 years?

Lets look at Dallas, Seahawks, Detroit, Packers, Philly (nearly made the playoffs) in NFC who made playoffs last year and all of them have above average to elite OLs. Even division rivals 49ers and Seahawks all had solid offensive lines combined with great defenses that propelled them to success in the last 4 years. In addition to OL strengths- Seahawks, Packers, Dallas and Detroit have QBs who can be called "franchise QBs". Arizona, Detroit, who defied statistics can attribute success to slightly above average QBs, excellent skill position players on offense and proven excellent offensive minds coaching them.

This brings me to Rams. I am concerned that weakest link of this team, the OL which proved so pivotal to other NFC teams that made playoffs last year, is going hold the Rams back again this year. It is easier to think the numbers thrown at OL is going to make a difference.

But given injuries in NFL, which are inevitable, that can quickly erode this OL that lacks any depth, the lack of experience on the line, lack of above average QB, no proven offensive coordinator at this level, a big list of offensive players who are still in "to-be-decided-if-I-am-good" phase....

please provide reasons to be upbeat for this season as OTAs are coming to an end.

1. We haven't imploded.

2. Our offense can't possibly be worse.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The five O-lineman on the Patriots team that beat the Rams had a rookie at LT, 1st year at RT, 2nd year at LG, 3rd year at C and 8 year player at RG.

ram007

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. We haven't imploded.

2. Our offense can't possibly be worse.

When 49ers were good, their OL was a beast for all 3 years when they went to NFC championship.

ram007

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The five O-lineman on the Patriots team that beat the Rams had a rookie at LT, 1st year at RT, 2nd year at LG, 3rd year at C and 8 year player at RG.

Are you forgetting to Tom Brady from that conversation?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. We have arguably the best overall d in the league
2. We have not so arguably the best d line in the league
3. We have a young pro bowl caliber qb
3. We have one of the best RB tandems in the league (with a potential star in the midst)
4. We have a young talented wr core ready to blossom
5. We have one of the best st units in the nfl...a very underrated aspect of the game
4. We just invested heavy into the online and have absolute maulers..between grob Havenstein brown no saffold should be some big running lanes

Ball control great d and great special teams with a guy that can kick from 60 yds should keep us in every game...the X factor will be nick foles

Cheer up Charlie things are looking better here than they have in a decade

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I understand the cocept of building from "inside out" per head coach Jeff Fisher. What I cannot comprehend is with a possible franchise QB in Bradford why wasn't the OL fixed first before DL or given the same priority as DL for the first 4 years?

The sad reality is that struggling teams almost always draft a QB early when given the chance. For one a good NFL caliber QB is very hard to come by. Teams desperately over pay guys like Kevin Kolb, Michael Vick, Rg3 etc. In hopes the player will solidify the position. Secondly, it's a flashy move that the casual fans love that makes a struggling coach/team look like they're attempting to build a competitive team. Unfortunately for the young QB that gets drafted by one of these struggling teams they find themselves in a situation where they're basically expected to single handedly evelate a team with poor talent and a poor supporting cast.

Teams that struggle as badly as the Rams are that way because of poor prior management, drafting and a lack of ability to develop players.

Imo only since snisher arrived has the Rams had a actual competent fo. They rebuilt the team faster than anyone could have imagined with a ton of turn over and a big injection of talent to the roster. While I agree with you the OL should have been addressed earlier at least they're bringing in young blood that they can develop for the future. Lastly the offense is going to be primarily ground based hopefully limiting the learning curve for our young line.

I firmly believe the Rams will be fine and this will be the year that they get back to the playoffs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Be upbeat now because you'll have plenty of time to be miserable if they have another bad season!;)

It's similar to my philosophy of believing in God...Why not believe, if you believe and there is no God, no harm, but if you don't believe and there is a God, you're in trouble!

Memphis Ram

Legend

Isn't this year four?

Anyway, they gave big money to Jake Long & Scott Wells. Re-signed Saffold. Spent the #2 overall selection in last year's draft on Greg Robinson.

The effort was made. But, thanks to injuries, the outcome just hasn't been good yet.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Are you forgetting to Tom Brady from that conversation?

That was kind of a given. But now that you mention it, he was 3rd year as well. Our new Oline COULD come together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just give in to the hope and pound some effin Kool Aid! I prefer mine with a healthy splash of vodka...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Picked the wrong players too often. It takes time to recover from that. We're starting to get there. Jason Smith was symptomatic of what was going on. Look at all the bad picks. Hill, Carriker, Barron, Smith etc.

Alan

Legend
You don't seem to want to get off that ledge you're on Mr. Bond. Perhaps you should be discussing this with Pussy Galore instead of us. I know that would get me off the ledge. ;) :LOL:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I think most of these answers sum it up nicely, so James you can stop being shaken and not stirred. This O-line is a product of a far superior brain trust who actually has a plan and can coach.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Defense wins championships. We got a good one.

Foles >> Hill

Young talent on the OL.

Tavon year 3.

Go big; Britt, Quick, Cook

Deep RB; Mason, Gurley, Cunningham

I love the way this team is shaping up!

RamzFanz

Damnit
lack of above average QB :cautious::cautious::cautious:

Nick Foles graduated in 2007 from Westlake High School, the alma mater of star NFL quarterback Drew Brees. A two-year starter for the football team, Foles threw for 5,658 yards and 56 touchdowns, breaking most school records previously held by Brees.

During the 2011 season, Foles completed 387 of 560 passes for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns. He ranked first in the Pacific-12 Conference and fifth among all NCAA Division I FBS players with an average of 352.58 yards of total offense per game. He also ranked second in the Pac-12 and 20th among all FBS players in total passing yardage.

He's 14-4 the last two seasons

In his Week 6 start on October 13, Foles had one of the best starts of his career, completing 22 of 31 passes for 296 yards and 4 total touchdowns (3 passing, 1 rushing) in a 31-20 win over the Buccaneers, a performance that earned him NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

In Week 9 of 2013 he became the second NFL quarterback to post a perfect passer rating (158.3) while passing for more than 400 yards, and the first NFL quarterback to post a perfect passer rating and throw seven touchdowns in a single game. Foles is one of three quarterbacks to throw seven touchdowns and zero interceptions; he also amassed a perfect passer rating (158.3), having thrown more touchdown passes than incompletions. Foles was awarded his
second NFC Offensive Player of the Week Award of the season for his performance vs the Raiders.

In Week 10 Foles completed 12 out of 18 passes for a total of 228 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. His passer rating was extremely high for the second consecutive week, finishing at 149.3 and becoming the first QB in NFL history to post passer ratings above 149 in consecutive weeks.

On November 27, Foles was named the NFC Player of the Month for his play during the month of November.

Week 12, for the seventh time this season, Foles' passer rating eclipsed 100 and Foles set a team record for most passes without an interception (233), breaking Michael Vick's mark of 224 set in 2010. He also moved within one touchdown pass of the record 20 straight touchdown passes set by Peyton Manning.

The following week, the Eagles defeated the Chicago Bears 54-11 which saw another passer rating over 100 a completion of 84.0% of his passes, a career high. Foles helped lead the Eagles to their first NFC East division title in three years by beating the Cowboys in the regular season finale. Foles had his ninth game with a passer rating over 100.

Foles finished the 2013 regular season with 27 touchdown passes and only 2 interceptions, surpassing Tom Brady's 2010 season posting of 36/4 for the best TD-INT ratio in NFL history, and a season leading 119.0 passer rating and third in NFL history trailing only to Aaron Rodgers' 122.5 rating in 2011 and Peyton Manning's 121.1 rating in 2004. Foles led the Eagles to a playoff berth, the first since 2010. Foles threw for 195 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no interceptions, for a passer rating of 105.0, in his postseason debut. Foles was awarded the "NFL Greatness on the Road" award for his 7 touchdown, perfect game performance against the Oakland Raiders during a road game in 2013.

In 2014 against Washington Foles finished the game completing
66 percent of his passes, going for 325 yards and three touchdowns.

In Week 8, Foles set a franchise record for most completions in a game with 36 and threw a career high 62 times in a close loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Foles was also assigned to the 2014 Pro Bowl and went 7 for 10 for 89 yards and a go ahead touchdown. Foles won the Pro Bowl Offensive MVP award, which included a new GMC truck.

Let me know when he starts to sound "above average". o_O

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nick Foles graduated in 2007 from Westlake High School, the alma mater of star NFL quarterback Drew Brees. A two-year starter for the football team, Foles threw for 5,658 yards and 56 touchdowns, breaking most school records previously held by Brees.

During the 2011 season, Foles completed 387 of 560 passes for 4,334 yards and 28 touchdowns. He ranked first in the Pacific-12 Conference and fifth among all NCAA Division I FBS players with an average of 352.58 yards of total offense per game. He also ranked second in the Pac-12 and 20th among all FBS players in total passing yardage.

He's 14-4 the last two seasons

In his Week 6 start on October 13, Foles had one of the best starts of his career, completing 22 of 31 passes for 296 yards and 4 total touchdowns (3 passing, 1 rushing) in a 31-20 win over the Buccaneers, a performance that earned him NFC Offensive Player of the Week.

In Week 9 of 2013 he became the second NFL quarterback to post a perfect passer rating (158.3) while passing for more than 400 yards, and the first NFL quarterback to post a perfect passer rating and throw seven touchdowns in a single game. Foles is one of three quarterbacks to throw seven touchdowns and zero interceptions; he also amassed a perfect passer rating (158.3), having thrown more touchdown passes than incompletions. Foles was awarded his
second NFC Offensive Player of the Week Award of the season for his performance vs the Raiders.

In Week 10 Foles completed 12 out of 18 passes for a total of 228 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. His passer rating was extremely high for the second consecutive week, finishing at 149.3 and becoming the first QB in NFL history to post passer ratings above 149 in consecutive weeks.

On November 27, Foles was named the NFC Player of the Month for his play during the month of November.

Week 12, for the seventh time this season, Foles' passer rating eclipsed 100 and Foles set a team record for most passes without an interception (233), breaking Michael Vick's mark of 224 set in 2010. He also moved within one touchdown pass of the record 20 straight touchdown passes set by Peyton Manning.

The following week, the Eagles defeated the Chicago Bears 54-11 which saw another passer rating over 100 a completion of 84.0% of his passes, a career high. Foles helped lead the Eagles to their first NFC East division title in three years by beating the Cowboys in the regular season finale. Foles had his ninth game with a passer rating over 100.

Foles finished the 2013 regular season with 27 touchdown passes and only 2 interceptions, surpassing Tom Brady's 2010 season posting of 36/4 for the best TD-INT ratio in NFL history, and a season leading 119.0 passer rating and third in NFL history trailing only to Aaron Rodgers' 122.5 rating in 2011 and Peyton Manning's 121.1 rating in 2004. Foles led the Eagles to a playoff berth, the first since 2010. Foles threw for 195 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no interceptions, for a passer rating of 105.0, in his postseason debut. Foles was awarded the "NFL Greatness on the Road" award for his 7 touchdown, perfect game performance against the Oakland Raiders during a road game in 2013.

In 2014 against Washington Foles finished the game completing
66 percent of his passes, going for 325 yards and three touchdowns.

In Week 8, Foles set a franchise record for most completions in a game with 36 and threw a career high 62 times in a close loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

Foles was also assigned to the 2014 Pro Bowl and went 7 for 10 for 89 yards and a go ahead touchdown. Foles won the Pro Bowl Offensive MVP award, which included a new GMC truck.

Let me know when he starts to sound "above average". o_O

mic-drop_gp_1541587.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A Coach has to set his priorities, coming in Fisher knew he had to do a complete 'Rebuild'. The D had some players w/Long, Quinn, and JL. So what better place to start! IMHO
Lets look at Dallas
Dallas only started to rebuild their O-Line, to protect Romo, The last couple of years. So inferring they have been doing thing the 'right way' doesn't pass the smell test with me! JMO