Hawks open to trading Sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ya'll crazy. Sherman a Ram playing for Wade Phillips? Sign me up.
Never happen though. He'll get traded to fucking New England on draft day. You watch...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never happen though. He'll get traded to freaking New England on draft day. You watch...

That's fine with me. I hate New England, but Seattle is standing in our way. Trading Sherman significantly weakens their defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My reason for passing on Sherman is that he's 29 years old and coming off a year where his play declined slightly. He's still a top 5 CB and likely will be for a few more years. But in a stacked CB class, is it worth it to trade for the last few years of Sherman's career and his giant contract over taking a CB? IMO, no.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Never happen though. He'll get traded to freaking New England on draft day. You watch...
It has been reported that the Patriots have looked into trading for him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I dunno, fellas. I'm trying to keep an open mind to the possibilities here.

IF Tru would agree to a long term extension for a trade to the Seahawks, this trade would make some sense for all parties. Big "if", I know. But if he does, the dominoes could start falling.

Rams acquire a top CB (significant upgrade) while saving $3.5 million on their cap. Would have Sherman for 2 years, at least. Wouldn't cost picks in the process. Big short term unknown at the important CB position goes away.

Seahawks acquire a more locker friendly top third CB at a reasonable price and locked up for 5 years. Might even save a little money in the process. Didn't cost them picks, either.

Sherman gets a new home where he can hopefully be happy. Would love the opportunities in the LA advertising market. I think he would simply love playing in Wade's D on an ascending team, too.

Tru gets his 5 year contract security, probably with heavy guaranteed money, and gets to go to a playoff team because he had control over the transaction.

Could be a win-win for all 4 parties. But only IF Tru is willing to agree to a 5 year reasonable contract extension. Emphasis reasonable. Not sure where his head is at on that subject. Lol.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I dunno, fellas. I'm trying to keep an open mind to the possibilities here.

IF Tru would agree to a long term extension for a trade to the Seahawks, this trade would make some sense for all parties. Big "if", I know. But if he does, the dominoes could start falling.

Rams acquire a top CB (significant upgrade) while saving $3.5 million on their cap. Would have Sherman for 2 years, at least. Wouldn't cost picks in the process. Big short term unknown at the important CB position goes away.

Seahawks acquire a more locker friendly top third CB at a reasonable price and locked up for 5 years. Might even save a little money in the process. Didn't cost them picks, either.

Sherman gets a new home where he can hopefully be happy. Would love the opportunities in the LA advertising market. I think he would simply love playing in Wade's D on an ascending team, too.

Tru gets his 5 year contract security, probably with heavy guaranteed money, and gets to go to a playoff team because he had control over the transaction.

Could be a win-win for all 4 parties. But only IF Tru is willing to agree to a 5 year reasonable contract extension. Emphasis reasonable. Not sure where his head is at on that subject. Lol.
I like your thought process man. But the Seahawks would probably rather go 0-16 next year then trade with the Rams. Division rivals almost never do deals like that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I like your thought process man. But the Seahawks would probably rather go 0-16 next year then trade with the Rams. Division rivals almost never do deals like that.

Point taken, Legatron.

Plus, they'd probably want a lobe draft pick as a sweetener in the trade. Sigh...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Cowboys and Redskins traded draft picks with each other a couple of years ago. Would not rule out the possibility of intra-division trade; it's just a huge rarity for it to happen

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-player-and-a-high-pick-for-richard-sherman/

Report: Seahawks looking for player and a high pick for Richard Sherman
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 6, 2017

It’s not enough for the Seahawks to simply let the world know — in terms more blunt than we’re accustomed to — that Richard Sherman is available.

They also have to make it clear what they’re expecting in return if they want to see this swap meet through to fruition. So now comes word from the other corner of the country of what they want in exchange for their star cornerback.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, an NFL source said the Seahawks are asking for “a very good player plus a high draft pick.”

It would probably help if that very good player was on a contract smaller than Sherman’s because that’s one of the reasons they’re at least considering moving a top-shelf player. But the chance to get a price-controlled asset back in exchange is key, as their roster has grown top-heavy in recent years (which is an unfortunate side effect of being good at football and then having to pay good football players, that invoice eventually comes due).

Sherman also has some degree of say in this, or at least the ability to influence a potential deal. If he’s not going to re-do his contract (and why would he?) and there are certain places he just won’t go, it naturally limits Seattle’s options. He’s already said he understands it’s just business, and that he doesn’t expect anything to happen.

But, if you’re going to do this dance, you might as well start high, to give yourself room to negotiate. Word’s now out on the price, and operators in Seattle are standing by.

Ram65

Legend
To much money and @ 29 + he is getting a little slower. Talk radio in Philly debated to trade their first round pick #14 for Sherman. Better off using the pick for youth and less money. I wouldn't. Rams shouldn't be in the mix.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hope he gets traded and ends up like Nnamdi Asomugha. And hopefully he still remains a loudmouth, and exposes himself to how overrated he is. At least Nnamdi Asomugha had humility.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Except in the NFC East where it seems to happen all the time... or maybe I'm just thinking about FA signings...

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...bility-makes-trumaine-johnson-trade-difficult

Richard Sherman availability makes Trumaine Johnson trade difficult
6:00 AM CT
  • i

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- The Seattle Seahawks have been unconventionally open about the possibility of trading star cornerback Richard Sherman, a three-time first-team All-Pro who, at 29, is still considered one of the game's best at his position.

As if finding a taker for Trumaine Johnson weren't difficult enough.

The Los Angeles Rams were reportedly shopping Johnson on the very first day of the legal tampering period, and even then his market seemed limited. Johnson's exorbitant price -- $16.742 million on his second franchise tag -- didn't match his level of performance. And teams with needs at cornerback were able to turn to a free-agent market that was headlined by A.J. Bouye, Stephon Gilmore, Logan Ryan and Morris Claiborne. The top of that market has dried up, but so has the number of teams in need of an experienced cornerback.

A recent ESPN piece highlighted the greatest need for each of the 32 teams, and only four were seen as in need of help at cornerback. None of those teams -- the Bills, the Eagles, the Cardinals and, strangely, the Seahawks -- have enough salary-cap space to take on an expensive corner. And others who do would probably find a more appealing alternative with Sherman, who is under one more year of control than Johnson and comes at a cheaper rate.

Sherman, who has yet to miss a game in his six-year career, will cost $13.6 million against the cap in 2017 and $13.2 million in 2018, with only $2.2 million in dead money for the latter year. He has 30 interceptions since joining the NFL in 2011, 10 more than anybody else at his position. And last year Pro Football Focus graded him 13th among 111 qualified cornerbacks.

Johnson was 25th.

Trading Johnson would've ideally netted the Rams a high-round pick in the upcoming draft, in which they have only one selection among the top 68. But they are in desperate need of depth in their secondary, even after signing Kayvon Webster, so they were always perfectly fine with keeping him, too. Besides, the Rams have already lost way too much from their secondary. Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod departed via free agency last offseason. T.J. McDonald left this offseason. And next year Maurice Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner, E.J. Gaines and Cody Davis are set to join Johnson as unrestricted free agents, the quality depth behind them nearly nonexistent.

Part of the reason the Rams didn't sign Johnson to a long-term extension this offseason was because they first wanted to see if he would be a fit under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. The two sides still have until July 15 to get something done, and the Rams haven't ruled that out.

The offseason program, which begins Monday, could give them a better feel for whether a new deal makes sense.

"Wade values corners," Rams general manager Les Snead said from the scouting combine. "So I think what we're going to do with Trumaine is, because everyone is new, we need to work together, live together, see if we all fit. Does Tru fit Wade? Does Wade fit Tru? Because it's obvious by the tag number and what corners get paid, it's a heavy investment, and you want to be right. Especially when you go long-term."

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-in-trade-effort-wants-to-go-to-a-contender/

Richard Sherman is involved in trade effort, wants to go to a contender
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 7, 2017

629173750-e1481823674638.jpg
Getty Images

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman is participating in the effort to move on and move out from Seattle, but he doesn’t just want to go anywhere.

That’s the word from Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, who said on PFT Live that Sherman is involved in the trade effort, but he’s looking to play for a contender and wouldn’t cooperate with trade talks if the talks are with a bad team.

“Richard Sherman is talking to some people,” Salguero said. “He wants to play in Super Bowls or have a chance to compete in Super Bowls, so he has some degree of leverage as to where this train goes.”

Despite Sherman’s willingness to participate in trade talks, Salguero expects him to remain a Seahawk because he expects the Seahawks to demand more in a trade than any team will offer.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen because they want a mint for Richard Sherman,” Salguero said.

Still, if it does happen, Sherman will be on board. At least if he’s going to a team where he thinks he can get another ring.

…..

Legend
My reason for passing on Sherman is that he's 29 years old and coming off a year where his play declined slightly. He's still a top 5 CB and likely will be for a few more years. But in a stacked CB class, is it worth it to trade for the last few years of Sherman's career and his giant contract over taking a CB? IMO, no.

In my opinion he's no longer top 5 and surviving on system and reputation.

As far as I'm concerned, he and Revis can sit around a camp fire and argue about who used to be the best.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams would have to trade a 1st to get Sherman
If they include Tru in the deal, it would probably increase to 2 1sts

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thing I like best about Sherman? The look on his face when Wilson got intercepted when Carroll called that stupid pass play at the goal line in the SB. that look on Sherman's face was priceless.