Hawks open to trading Sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Doubt it. He's a leader on that D. Not sure how the team would respond to that

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Damnit. Gonna be harder to trade Tru if that douche is on the market. I hope Snead is talking with tru about an extension to lower his cap hit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh it's per Lombardi so taken with a grain of salt. This likely falls under the old GM adage that you listen to any trade offer. Doesn't mean you'll consider it or accept it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
HOLY CRAP!!!

Send Trujo and a 3rd for Sherman. DO EEET!!!

Richard Sherman and Kayvon Webster in THIS D that requires man? Lockdowns that allow our DL and OLBs to pin their ears back?

drooling-smiley.png

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
HOLY CRAP!!!

Send Trujo and a 3rd for Sherman. DO EEET!!!

Richard Sherman and Kayvon Webster in THIS D that requires man? Lockdowns that allow our DL and OLBs to pin their ears back?

drooling-smiley.png
Meh. I'm one of be few people who think Sherman is overrated. He benefits highly from having the best safety tandem in the league. And the defense as a whole fell apart after Earl Thomas went down. Just my two cents.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It would cost 2 firsts I bet

I doubt it. If Trujo wants a new home and doesn't want to take a risk of injury this year, he'll take the guaranteed money now, even in light of a stellar CB draft class. If those guys pan out, there will be a LOT of midrange vets looking for work.

What I like about Sherman is that he competes on EVERY SINGLE play. Earl Thomas is definitely the heart of that team, but you rarely see Sherman get beat. His technique is amazing and he puts himself as a former WR to run their routes. It's part of why he's so dang tough.

Is he the absolute best every year? No. No one has been. But is he consistently a TOP 5 CB every year? Yes and no one other than Patrick Peterson can say that (I might be missing one other).

Moreover, the Hawks would take a $9.4M hit in dead money while the Rams would ONLY have to pay a CB of his caliber $11M a year for the next two years (or potentially less if he agrees to an extension after a year and plays well enough to earn it, thus lowering his 2018 cap number)

If you ask me if I'd rather have Richard Sherman at $11M per year or Trujo at $16.7M for one year and a 3rd round pick?

NO CONTEST. Heck, he might be worth our 2nd. I'd rather now and I'd start with a 4th or a 5th and see if they bit.

But even then, that level of talent on this team at a discount from what we'd have to pay Trujo? Seems like the Rams should be on the phone.

The biggest hiccup would be the Hawks not wanting to trade him in the division. That said, we have a starting caliber CB that actually ranked VERY WELL and Pete Carroll might see getting a younger, tall, fast CB who's not afraid to tackle as a win.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
freak Sherman

He's an LA guy and while it's "freak Sherman" while he's in Seattle, if he comes here and helps lead us to having the best D in the NFL and potentially to the playoffs after the last... more than a decade???

I wanna win. Other than Brady, who, while I floated the idea, it still made me queasy, I'll take just about anyone who's not a woman beater who can help this team win (truly FREAK Greg Hardy and McDonald)

I realize some just don't like him for any number of reasons...but I tell ya, he's the kind of player along with Whitworth, Barwin and Kayvon Webster that can turn around a team in a single season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Meh. I'm one of be few people who think Sherman is overrated. He benefits highly from having the best safety tandem in the league. And the defense as a whole fell apart after Earl Thomas went down. Just my two cents.

Queue up that playoff loss to Atlanta lol. Yeah he ain't all that any more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/seahawks/richard-sherman-lost-step/

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Has Seahawks CB Richard Sherman lost a step?

ByMichael Erler
Posted on Jan 21, 2017
CCX11272016_1071_SEA_v_TBB.jpg

(MARK LOMOGLIO/ICON SPORTSWIRE)

The Seattle Seahawks ended their season in ignominious fashion, during which their secondary was burned to a fine crisp by Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the rest of the high-flying Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome in the division round of the playoffs. Defense has long been the backbone of this team, especially in their defensive backfield, a.k.a. the “Legion of Boom,” but they struggled mightily once safety Earl Thomas was lost for the season with a broken leg in Week 13 against Carolina.

Thomas briefly contemplated retirement when he first suffered his injury before deciding to return but both he and Kam Chancellor appear to have lost a step after years of laying out — and being subject to — punishing full-speed collision hits in the middle of the field. Meanwhile, neither Thomas nor Chancellor are the senior members of the L.O.B. despite both being members of the 2010 draft class.

That distinction goes to the group’s most famous member, Richard Sherman, who was drafted out of Stanford in the fifth round of the 2011 class but is, in fact, four days older than Chancellor. Sherman will be nearly 30-years-old by the time next season starts and it’s fair to wonder how much longer he’ll be an elite player.

Sherman was named to his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl but wasn’t named Associated Press First-Team All-Pro for the second consecutive season after earning that honor from 2012-14, losing out this time to Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr. of the Denver Broncos and Marcus Peters of the Kansas City Chiefs. The game charters at Pro Football Focus had him as the 15th-ranked corner in the league, which doesn’t exactly sound elite.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers corner Ike Taylor, now a contributor for NFL.com, still rated Sherman as his top corner overall, but it’s clear he’s no longer head-and-shoulders ahead of the pack if he is indeed at all. Breaking down the top corners, one can see Sherman lagging behind some of his peers in relevant categories like completions allowed, completion percentage allowed, yards allowed, yards-per-attempt and opponent’s passer rating. If anything, Minnesota’s Xavier Rhodes and Janoris Jenkins of the New York Giants would seem to have beef with him making the All-Pro team.

Player Completion/Attempt Percent Yards Yards/Attempt Touchdowns Interceptions Passer Rating
Xavier Rhodes 33/79 41.8 384 4.86 2 5 39.2
Aqib Talib 26/73 49.3 372 5.10 0 3 53.3
Janoris Jenkins 37/81 45.7 425 5.25 2 3 54.8
Chris Harris Jr. 34/72 47.2 337 4.68 3 2 63.3
Marcus Peters 51/89 57.3 659 7.40 3 6 63.6
Richard Sherman 44/85 51.7 624 7.34 2 4 64.0
Jalen Ramsey 48/90 53.3 703 7.81 2 2 68.0
Josh Norman 44/88 50.0 589 6.69 4 3 72.6
Patrick Peterson 43/74 58.1 539 7.28 2 3 72.9
Adam Jones 43/76 61.8 482 6.34 2 1 83.3

However, while those numbers help inform our opinion somewhat, they obviously don’t tell the whole story. There are hundreds of variables to account for, from the quality of teammates for the respective players (not just their fellow defensive backs but also the effectiveness of their front sevens’ pass rush and run defense), to the different schedules their teams faced, to the game situations of when they did and didn’t allow the completions in question.

The numbers above tell us nothing about who can shut down a Julio Jones or an Antonio Brown in the fourth quarter of a one-possession game. They don’t tell us which of these guys plays the most often on an island against the opponent’s top receiver and which of them get help from a safety. They don’t tell us how much they’re settling in zones, content to allow short completions and how much they’re playing press bump-and-run while their coordinators are running a zero blitz. That’s why sites like Pro Football Focus are an invaluable resource, to give context to the stats.

The thing to understand about Sherman is that speed was never his chief asset to begin with. He’s 6-foot-3, which is unusually tall for a corner, and was a fifth-round pick due to lack of zip and his relative inexperience with the position at Stanford, where he switched from receiver to corner prior to his senior season. (He also believes Jim Harbaugh, his coach at Stanford, trashed him to NFL personnel people, thus further diminishing his draft stock, but that’s a story for another day.)

He’s so physical and rangy for a corner, and such a dogged student of the game, that he can get by without top-end speed. He also has the luxury of talented teammates like Chancellor and Thomas to help him over the top and top-notch coverage linebackers like Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright to clog traffic on the underneath routes over the middle. The Seahawks have one of the better group of pass rushers up front too, with Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Frank Clark, so Sherman won’t have to cover for as long as some of his peers have.

All those factors should contribute to Sherman not aging in dog years the way Darrelle Revis did for the New York Jets did this past season. Then there was the inadvertent revelation by coach Pete Carroll that Sherman was playing with an MCL sprain “for the whole second half of the season,” even though the team never put Sherman on the injury report as mandated by league rules.

Carroll tried to cover up for his snafu in is season-ending presser, explaining, “Honestly, I didn’t realize we hadn’t revealed it,” and adding that Sherman hadn’t missed any games or even practices. However, the league is well used to shenanigans from the Seahawks by now. They’ve already been docked a fifth-round pick in the upcoming draft for violating player contact rules during mini-camps last year — their third such infraction in five years — and reportedly that punishment might stiffen to losing a second-rounder instead in light of this Sherman news.

So in the end, this might wind up being quite the coup for Sherman. Not only might he healthier and perhaps better next season, but by not reporting his injury this year, the Seahawks will be less likely to draft his successor. The lesson, as always, even when Richard Sherman loses, he still finds a way to win.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Whenever i think of Sherman i think of the play where Britt burned the fuck out him on a bomb in the end zone

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This FA is bizarre. Would be funny having Goff and Sherman in the same room. Don't like Sherman as a rival, but if he was in Rams uniform I could careless especially if he brings that winning attitude here.