Havenstein, Whitworth and McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
The #1 reason is the offensive line....Now's who's faault is that?

Mostly the shitty play of the players paid big money to do a job.
After that it's hard to know as far as who had the final say in chunking together this shit show. However it's early - lots of time to improve.

This is why winning when you get to the super bowl is so important - having the cap space to keep everything intact is impossible. Like this monstrous D-line that the 49ners have won't last forever, eventually they are going to want to get paid and they will have to disperse.

Ellard80

Legend
Agree, but he has struggled dealing with the 6 man front. Unfortunately after showing life in Seattle, he loses Noteboom.

And my comment was about what he needs to do to move from the good coach to the great coach category.

Bellicheck has been able to mask injuries or lack of talent and still win big. McVay has to show something here that he can at least weather this season and injury situation and keep the Rams relevant if he is the next great coach.

Yeah Bellicheck has total control over personell however. Bellecheck refuses to pay big contracts to anyone, in order to have a strong total team. The Rams have definately not gone with that philosophy. The way things are set up, McVay can't be like Bellicheck (if he even wanted to).

As far as adjusting to the 6 man front - Certainly he could do better. But as I've said - I've seen a lot of open guys and missed plays going back to last year. Players have often been put in positions to make big plays and they aren't happening.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
No offense, but on 3rd down, when the LDE blows past your RT, its not the RGs fault.

Now of its an inside stunt, sure. Yet Blythe played next to Havenstein last yr. So not sure what the issue is?

If you are going to tell me that Havenstein's play has not slipped, then no offense, but you don't know what your watching then.

DE's blow by Tackles all the time,, however, there's no where for Goff to step up to. He cant scoot up in the pocket because the middle of our Oline completely collapses. So yes, it does effect the rest of our Oline and shows up on the stat sheets as our Tackles not doing their job. There was one play in particular that I wish I could pull up from Sundays game where both Hav and Whit got pushed back, Well so did allen and Boom, Thus creating a collapsed pocket in which Jared couldn't step up in. That's the biggest difference in last year vs. this year. Our tackles get beat just like a lot of tackles but they take them out of the play by pushing them behind the pocket so the QB can step up. It's pretty common.

I agree with the inside stunt which has also stymied our production. There was a play when Demby pulled and Allen took over a stunt and got beat very very badly which resulted in a sack.

I think both of our tackles have played poorly this year, I think our Guards and Center have also played poorly. Offensive line is a group effort and yes I stand by my statement that if your Guards aren't playing well then your tackles will suffer as well. Not saying that you don't know what you're talking about or don't know football but it really does effect all of them